Sponsored by:

Vibration on the track

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 10:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by skippyBKR
Most definitely Macca - with bells on. But Targa High Country early November coming up first.
Great work mate. Will be rooting for you. The 991RS here used on Targa is plagued with issues with clearance (wearing through guard liners and wiring harnesses behind). One less thing for you to worry about! Dont forget to update us on Rennlist as to how you go in the HC event (and any video etc). Best of luck too ;-)
Old 09-28-2016, 01:28 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 456 Likes on 252 Posts

[
I wouldn't remove the weights altogether though. Ever notice the weight placement is usually on the opposite side of your TPMS sensor? The TPMS sensor plays a larger roll in upsetting the balance of the wheel than the rotation of the tire (which is relatively uniform in its construction). My tires rotate on the wheels throughout the day with no noticeable impact on vibration. Removing the weights may not have the effect you are looking for if you have the TPMS sensors.

Perhaps it is something else.
So, when your TPMS compensating weight has eventually moved around 180 degrees to the same spot as the valve stem - isn't that twice as bad as no wheel weight at all?
I'll stick with no wheel weights.[/quote]

How can the wheel weight "move" to where the valve stem is? The valve stem goes through the wheel and doesn't move...and the TPMS doesn't move either. It's the tire rotating around the rim, no?
Old 09-28-2016, 03:21 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 140 Posts

[
I wouldn't remove the weights altogether though. Ever notice the weight placement is usually on the opposite side of your TPMS sensor? The TPMS sensor plays a larger roll in upsetting the balance of the wheel than the rotation of the tire (which is relatively uniform in its construction). My tires rotate on the wheels throughout the day with no noticeable impact on vibration. Removing the weights may not have the effect you are looking for if you have the TPMS sensors.

Perhaps it is something else.
So, when your TPMS compensating weight has eventually moved around 180 degrees to the same spot as the valve stem - isn't that twice as bad as no wheel weight at all?
I'll stick with no wheel weights.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand. The TPMS sensor stays with the valve stem, and the weights stay with the wheel. The tire rotates around the wheel.. How do the lead weights move around 180 degrees?

If you have TPMS, I wouldn't remove those weights... I'd tape them down.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:34 AM
skippyBKR
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Right you are guys - my bad, of course the TPMS doesn't move on the rim - late night type!
However, I will say the rims are pre-balanced to compensate for the valve stem and the the sender unit is grams light. (I've never noted a wheel weight exactly opposing the valve stem - you?).
I'll stick to my original point - the tyres slip on the rim.
There is a lot of logic in balancing the rim only (without the tyre), which we have done in the past. But balancing the rim with the tyre fitted when the tyre is slipping just doesn't make spence to me.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:29 PM
Joe731
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default slightly off topic

Do others feel a real "waggle" when hitting the straights for the first lap with low tire pressures? I was going out with cold pressures in the 24-26 lbs range and always feel that waggle on the first lap until the tires get up to temp and pressure.

Quick Reply: Vibration on the track