GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Not normal at all, looks computer related
Old 09-13-2016, 09:38 AM
Maxi_z
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Dealer will change the complete steering assembly that include the electric motor under warranty
Old 09-13-2016, 04:07 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Know of 2 here in SoCal that have had this issue. Both have had several steering racks replaced. One of them the issue kept coming back, he sold the car and got another. Both were 2014 cars.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:41 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Not heard of this issue before. Worth keeping an eye on...
Old 09-15-2016, 02:27 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

It could be something as stupid as 'zeroing' the steering; all EPS systems need that. The noise threw me off, however. Doesn't sound good, so I'd ask for a new motor (or rack). But I'm sure if the zeroing is correct, there has to be a different software/programming issue, or it wouldn't be doing that by itself. Hope the new rack permanently solves that. Wonder if something threw it slightly off center, like an off-road excursion on the track, steep curbing, or some other hit that affected alignment. Also just read wheels are prone to bending at the track. Oh well. Good luck.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:09 PM
Maxi_z
Racer

I will see if the problem is gone with the new rack or not.

I think that even if it could be many different things making the motor react like that maybe not finding enough mechanical resistance or some bad calibration of something if Porsche decide to replace the complete rack they should probably know that any adjustment would not work or be in some ways a little long and complicated to do for the dealer and they prefer to just change the part.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:20 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I've had that happen to me on both the gt3 and gt4. Just turn off the car and restart and it goes away
Old 09-18-2016, 06:43 PM
Maxi_z
Racer

That s what i was doing but it was doing that a little more often so I thought to see what porsche would say about it and fix it under warranty.

But I think it only do that at idle or at really low speed and it should not be a real issue when driving.

Only thing that before bringing it to the dealer and trying to make it do that by steering the wheel many times when parked with the engine running and then leaving it doing it instead of removing the key it would sometime stop by itself after some seconds and sometimes doing it for maybe one minute but after a few times a warning message came about the rear steering but maybe it was just some sensor feeling the movement.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:35 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Did it happen between sessions on a track day? It seems to happen when the tires are hot and sticky and you turn the wheel while parked.
It also happened to me once on a gravel road. I'm guessing this is an issue with electric steering in general and that replacing parts won't fix it, but that is a guess
Old 09-18-2016, 09:59 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had it happen on gravel and pulling up driveways. Doesn't seem to matter if the tires are hot, this is driving around town. Also heard from someone else with this problem that had a steering rack replaced and it didn't solve it. I'm going to start to record my daily driving with the GoPro to get more videos to give to porsche.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:41 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Learned a trick, if you catch your car doing this you can twist the wheel left and right a few times to stop it
Old 07-01-2019, 12:18 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 94 Posts

Had my car do this same thing recently for the first time. After I washed it and was pulling up into my garage on a slick floor, it started doing that weird vibration. Then, about 1 week later on a loose surface road going about 15 mph, it did it when I turned the wheel just for a quick second.

I don't know for sure, but I recently installed solid caster pucks, and I feel like that along with a full-race type of alignment probably doesn't help things. It's definitely an EPS motor thing, but as others mentioned, it's not going to be fixed by just replacing with a new PS setup, so will monitor it and just chalk it up to a situational type thing.

Def a weird vibration that kinda freaks you out though......
Old 10-17-2022, 06:00 PM
gt3josh
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
Had my car do this same thing recently for the first time. After I washed it and was pulling up into my garage on a slick floor, it started doing that weird vibration. Then, about 1 week later on a loose surface road going about 15 mph, it did it when I turned the wheel just for a quick second.

I don't know for sure, but I recently installed solid caster pucks, and I feel like that along with a full-race type of alignment probably doesn't help things. It's definitely an EPS motor thing, but as others mentioned, it's not going to be fixed by just replacing with a new PS setup, so will monitor it and just chalk it up to a situational type thing.

Def a weird vibration that kinda freaks you out though......
any update on this? got a 2015 gt3 with 5k miles having the same issue. power steering rack has been replaced. still cant figure it out
Old 08-11-2023, 11:06 AM
Jhour
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had the same issue with my car, any updates on this issue?
Old 08-11-2023, 03:04 PM
Maxi_z
Racer

No update that I know of , on my old 991 GT3 they just replaced under warranty the steering rack with a different reference part

With the replacement part it was ok maybe it did something similar but with less intensity a couple of times but most of the time it was ok

From what I noticed the problem is when you are turning the wheels with the car stand still on a slippery surface as parking paint or wet or some metal floor grill and I think that when the electric steering does not find some kind of resistance it can bug and shake like that

I think it also did it in an almost unnoticeable way a couple of times on a 991.2 gt3 rs

The following users liked this post:
Jhour (08-11-2023)

Quick Reply: 991 gt3 electric steering shaking at idle