Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will 991.1 GT3 Prices Tank?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 07:14 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I assume all cars are worth $0 the day I buy them. If I do better than that I'm happy. I'm really bad at buying and selling cars, because its 100% emotional...
Old 08-02-2016, 08:32 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rave426
The only issue with the 991.1 GT3 is potential long term reliability scares. I'm honestly kinda freaked out that engine and transmission being one out of warranty. Us non 1 percenters have bank accounts to worry about lol.
I won't even consider PDK out of warranty on a regular Carrera. Last I checked if a repair is needed it requires Porsche requires the entire unit replaced at $14,000 USD

Last edited by Para82; 08-03-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:14 PM
lumber
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DerStig
I dont see anyone owning 2014 or 2015 cars out of warranty. I swear to god if I was given a GT3 in those model years out of warranty 50% off MSRP, I wouldnt own one. This is not an exaggaration. Its not a car you baby, its a car you drive the hell out of and I for one redline my cars multiple times a day. We'll see how well 2016 engines go reliability wise. I think they may have improved things but I think car may need a major engine redesign (aka 991.2) to totally cure the issue. Same thing happened with rod bearing issues and the last gen M3. Its tough to correct issues resulting from a design error mid cycle, especially when its the engine. Call me crazy but I think there may be a correlation between the 120 GT3s in the used car market and the raise in "engine blew" threads here in the last 3-6 months. What will cure this is if Porsche gives lifetime warranty for this specific type or failure (not sure how they could differentiate a regular engine failur from a failure due to lack of oiling). I dont see them doing this because its tough to come up with an exact definition and prevent abuse (of warranty coverage).
Ok chicken little 🙄

It is exactly because of posts like these on rennlist that owners now think
A. their cars should never depreciate
B. their car is going to break, so they should drive sparingly, or sell before it breaks (see A)
Old 08-03-2016, 06:58 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

The 991 GT3 is such a great car but just a darn shame with the engine issues that have been since day 1 - and they are still present. I would never want to own this car out of warranty. It will be interesting to see if there will be 2-4 year extended warranties offered thru Porsche or a secondary party, for purchase, and, if so, how much will it cost. I moved my car when the opportunity was there but I wish I never felt I had to. It is just like a stock when you fall in love with it - you got to take the emotion out of it and decide when to cut it loose before it costs you too much.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:29 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
The 991 GT3 is such a great car but just a darn shame with the engine issues that have been since day 1 - and they are still present. I would never want to own this car out of warranty. It will be interesting to see if there will be 2-4 year extended warranties offered thru Porsche or a secondary party, for purchase, and, if so, how much will it cost. I moved my car when the opportunity was there but I wish I never felt I had to. It is just like a stock when you fall in love with it - you got to take the emotion out of it and decide when to cut it loose before it costs you too much.
You worry too much Jimmy....
Old 08-03-2016, 07:33 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DerStig
I dont see anyone owning 2014 or 2015 cars out of warranty. I swear to god if I was given a GT3 in those model years out of warranty 50% off MSRP, I wouldnt own one. This is not an exaggaration. Its not a car you baby, its a car you drive the hell out of and I for one redline my cars multiple times a day. We'll see how well 2016 engines go reliability wise. I think they may have improved things but I think car may need a major engine redesign (aka 991.2) to totally cure the issue. Same thing happened with rod bearing issues and the last gen M3. Its tough to correct issues resulting from a design error mid cycle, especially when its the engine. Call me crazy but I think there may be a correlation between the 120 GT3s in the used car market and the raise in "engine blew" threads here in the last 3-6 months. What will cure this is if Porsche gives lifetime warranty for this specific type or failure (not sure how they could differentiate a regular engine failur from a failure due to lack of oiling). I dont see them doing this because its tough to come up with an exact definition and prevent abuse (of warranty coverage).
Yes it will be interesting. If G engine fails I suspect RS engine does too.

Then again if someone comes up with a proven solution/remedy maybe 9000 rpm screamer becomes the one to have and 991.2 owners have to wait nervously hoping PAG fixed the problem 4th time around!
Old 08-03-2016, 08:35 AM
autobahnA8
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While stale, these price threads aren't as bad as the "what boxer shorts do you wear when you drive your car" posts over in the 911 forum...

Could be worse!
Old 08-03-2016, 10:00 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
You worry too much Jimmy....
I guess only time will tell. There is a reason this tread is getting long and more engines are failing
Old 08-03-2016, 10:44 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Sure but for most owners there are many years before warranty runs our and becomes and issue. I consider myself to be one of the most informed on the issue but I didnt run for the door 15 months ago when I knew there was an issue and I use the car mostly on the track. Its such a great car what would I replace it with. In 2 years time 6 months before warranty expiry, if a steadfast solution hasn't been invented yet I may consider otherwise...
Old 08-03-2016, 10:49 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^I agree, worry about it when you have to. No different then we're all going to die some day, I try not to think, when it will happen.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:37 PM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Haven't been on the forum for a few weeks. Been out driving and enjoying life. A couple of track days, some great touring, some nice B&Bs and one amazing weekend with GT3 owning friends. We've seen and driven some amazing cars including our own, immersed ourselves in car and broader culture, spent some quality time with friends and family. Lost the ability to write with correct grammar. Return to the forum...and the same basic conversation is taking place about value. Not values, but value. Prices. It's a car, folks. For some of you it's multiple cars! We have way less lucre than many but sometimes I think maybe we are having more fun with the cars. Put down the iPads. Throw the keyboards out the window. Fill the beast(s) with fuel and go for a long drive. That's where the value is. That value doesn't tank. En I see you all out on the road enjoying yourselves never once do I think "I wonder what the value of that car is?" but I do think "I know they are having fun."

And the value of this post is less than two cents, I freely admit.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:47 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ Totally agree, the value of these or any car to me is in the driving experience not what they will be worth down the road (less).

Old 08-03-2016, 08:25 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Banango
Haven't been on the forum for a few weeks. Been out driving and enjoying life. A couple of track days, some great touring, some nice B&Bs and one amazing weekend with GT3 owning friends. We've seen and driven some amazing cars including our own, immersed ourselves in car and broader culture, spent some quality time with friends and family. Lost the ability to write with correct grammar. Return to the forum...and the same basic conversation is taking place about value. Not values, but value. Prices. It's a car, folks. For some of you it's multiple cars! We have way less lucre than many but sometimes I think maybe we are having more fun with the cars. Put down the iPads. Throw the keyboards out the window. Fill the beast(s) with fuel and go for a long drive. That's where the value is. That value doesn't tank. En I see you all out on the road enjoying yourselves never once do I think "I wonder what the value of that car is?" but I do think "I know they are having fun."

And the value of this post is less than two cents, I freely admit.
Originally Posted by Conekilr
^^^ Totally agree, the value of these or any car to me is in the driving experience not what they will be worth down the road (less).

These two comments are what it's all about. Bang on.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:43 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Banango.

A breath of fresh air
Old 08-03-2016, 08:58 PM
NYCone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I DD my GT3 and love every minute. If prices drop, buy!

Quick Reply: Will 991.1 GT3 Prices Tank?