<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

3021 = PCNA's figure.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:12 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,592 Likes on 737 Posts

Well, thats pretty light, only 70Lbs heavier than a GT4.
It will be a great car to drive.

I'd like to try the manual if for nothing else the LSD that we can then mess with to make it a trailbrake hoonigan :-)

A 911 will alsways do that better than a GT4.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:44 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,987 Likes on 560 Posts

So with Robert's help we are trying to get to ~2900...that will be fantastic
Old 03-23-2016, 12:01 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Lets not miss the fact that if you are redesigning an entirely new wheel that the mags will be exponentially cheaper to do feasibility studies on.

I don't want to be a guinea pig on the 911R carbon wheels.
I believe Carbon Revolution has a set for the 991GT series cars already (ask Betim). I would choose carbon over mag for sure. Their wheels are TUV approved (at least for 997) and making the mustang wheels.

Weight reduction can be transparent but also depends how much character in the car you want to lose/change, for example:
Motorsport dampers/springs - lower weight compared to stock for sure
Carbon doors with crash bars
Light glass that hey won't put in US spec cars
Strip the trunk of trim
Cast Iconel or Titanium exhaust/headers with only center muffler - those cats, the side muffler, etc are heavy.
Carbon kevlar lower body panels
Carbon kevlar wheel liners
Titanium or aluminum fasteners for non-critical trim/components
Carbon kevlar bumper covers
You could check with brembo on motorsport brake kit options for carbon brakes to see if there is a lighter option, not sure though.
Only put a few oz of water in the washer tank :-)
If you have Ac go to an electric compressor design and remove the engine mounted / hose routing. Mount it up front near the evap/condensor.

I think getting to 2900 lbs is doable w/o changing the character substantially and w/o massive interior mods. Of course the car should be ordered as light as possible.

(FWIW my 997RS is 3040 with a near full tank w/o me in it as it sits in my avatar pic... )
Old 03-24-2016, 06:02 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Getting to 2900 lbs should be no issue. In fact, this should be almost achievable from Kit 1. Further, depending upon each individual's cost tolerance, I think we can go considerably lower, perhaps as low as 2500 lbs, or even less. And, to be sure, while certain of Spyerx's suggestions are, of course, good, some require more painting and paint matching than I wanted to include in Kit 1. Further, with respect to reduced weight components such as doors, bumper covers and other body parts, they require quite expensive (for first class parts which would include Class A Paint Surfaces) and large tools, so I thought that they would be more appropriate for Kit 2 or Kit 3. As to brakes, there are reduced weight brake caliper and brake bell (hats) available from AP and Brembo, etc. But, again, I choose to wait for Kit 2 or Kit 3 and then one could go for forged aluminum, aluminium–lithium or, if cost is no issue, even beryllium.

Finally, as to wheels, everyone has their preference. For me, magnesium seems more in place for the R and, additionally, I would rather not have the same wheels as a Ford and, as noted above, a custom carbon fiber wheel would be very costly. Additionally, given that the density of magnesium and that of carbon fiber are virtually identical, I am not sure how the weights would compare but, note that, when Carbon Revolution compares its wheel to a Porsche factory wheel, it is comparing a cast aluminum wheel, not a well designed one piece forged magnesium wheel, to a carbon wheel. Further, has Carbon Revolution now received TUV approval and how will their carbon fiber wheel stand up to the extreme brake heat of a Porsche driven hard?

Last edited by Robert Linton; 03-25-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:32 AM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gents I'm out , apparently these modifications invalidate Porsche warranty in uk . You guys don't have this issue in the states ?
Old 03-25-2016, 12:29 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,757 Likes on 2,710 Posts

Originally Posted by wtdoom
Gents I'm out , apparently these modifications invalidate Porsche warranty in uk . You guys don't have this issue in the states ?
Porsche would need to establish direct causation between the mod and the failure in order to disclaim warranty coverage.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:39 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

@Robert - fair enough. Your point on "stages" is valid. And yes body panels would be a later stage. That said, DP Carbon in Germany makes fantastic pieces. I think things like race dampers and kevlar fender liners, kevlar under panels could be done relatively easily as they are not 'finish' elements. And they are substantially lighter than the ABS plastic (compare an RSR to a street cars trays). Same with an AC unit, although a scale would need to verify the benefits! Glass and exhaust are easy.

On the wheels... I do think you are right on mag, it is probably more "lineage correct" to use, and if a proper forging and process is used, I'm sure quite light and strong. On the CR wheels, yes, I can see the stigma of the 'mustang'. But, I'd venture these are the most advanced carbon wheels available for consumer purchase. They do need additional styling though! The shop I use is a distributor for them in the US, so i've seen them, held them, they ran a set on my car (I do not have them, use BBS, i like cheap and strong). They are very light, and the shop has run them on their open speed challenge cars at 230+mph on the open road w/o issues. I think if ultimate weight is the goal, carbon will win over mag. Would be interested to see a real comparison.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:23 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GrantG
Porsche would need to establish direct causation between the mod and the failure in order to disclaim warranty coverage.
thats may be in the states , not what I was told . Not with the risk
Old 03-25-2016, 01:30 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wtdoom
thats may be in the states , not what I was told . Not with the risk
Other countries unknown, for US this governs:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act
Old 03-25-2016, 07:22 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Spyerx - could you give the website and the telephone number for DP Carbon? Also, have you bought any of their parts?

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:36 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

As to the wheels, if someone could lend me a front and a rear, I could get an actual weight comparison as my scale is accurate to .1 of a gram. As to styling, as I noted above, Carbon Recolution gave an approximate price for a custom wheel of $10,000 per wheel assuming a minimum order of 15 sets (60 wheels). It would be more with less sets. As to running them at 230 MPH, on what kind of vehicle was that and for how long continuous at that speed? Also, what kind of braking was involved? Finally, as to being the "most advanced carbon wheels available for consumer purchase", they seem to be the only ones of this construction.

Notwithstanding, if enough people wanted these wheels and were willing to pay for them, we could order them.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:38 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

As to the parts I suggested for Kit 1, I think each will be superior to the originals.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:13 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
Spyerx - could you give the website and the telephone number for DP Carbon? Also, have you bought any of their parts?

Thanks.
Correct me if I'm wrong:

http://www.dp-motorsport.de
Old 03-25-2016, 09:42 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Thank you.

Looked at that website and could not find Type 991 parts. Also could not find carbon fiber shock absorbers (dampers) for any car. Notwithstanding, with regard to kevlar fender liners and kevlar under panels, these, again, could be part of, perhaps, Kit 3, i.e., when we are running out of other parts for more meaningful weight reduction. My thought in Kit 1 was to get the biggest weight reduction for the dollar and fender liners and under body panels did not seem to be in this category.

Quick Reply: 911R Weight Reduction