Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 07:54 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by fbirch
I agree with the above. It would be very interesting to know if the GT3R guys are routinely changing heads/valvetrain at 50 hours or something like that. The rebuild interval may be such that parts are changed before the follower/misfire problem has a chance to manifest.
Porsche indicates that the GT3R is much more cost effective over the older Mezger car. What I find interesting is that so few teams are running Porsche in FIA GT3 series these days. Would be interesting what the teams are saying about the new engine. Can't wait to see the new RSR.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:54 PM
gled
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 918 has the same valve train as the GT3/RS, are they experiencing any issues? G.Led
Old 08-30-2016, 02:06 PM
CC911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Macca, thanks for all your information regarding engine performance. I'm particularly interested in mileage achieved in 991 gt3's lightly tracked. What are the highest mileage vehicles in the database? I've inferred from your posts (maybe mistakenly) that these motors fail before 50000km, tracked or not. Is that what the data supports?
I'm in Australia (Perth) and my dealer says no failures in WA, not sure about the rest of the country but nobody in Perth over 20000km on gt3 or rs so early days. Current ride is 996 gt3 club sport for last 7 years - amazing vehicle - and deposit paid ages ago for new 991.2 manual with high likelihood of allocation so really interested in this thread
Old 08-30-2016, 02:51 PM
KA 991 GT3
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

A bit off base here but I was experiencing excessive smoke at startup once the car sat for a few days...

Here are some results...

Smoked cleared.

After I picked up the car from the dealer (they kept it 5 total days) drove it home. By the time I got to my garage a fault came on. Something to do with engine compartment temp sensor.

Tech examined, looked on his scanner, couldn't find anything.
He removed the top fans and as he took them off he found out they were both unplugged.
He plugged them in, cleared the fault, told me to drive it hard for a couple of days then park it for 48+ hours and check for smoke.

He believed that the fans not working created more heat and left oil/oil vapors trapped inside the intake.

I did the test and no smoke. Not even a puff.
Hope this makes sense or/and helps in anyway.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:33 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Just picked my car up after the engine re-build and I am totally, absolutely, freakin' ropable.

I have just been told that PAG have not approved the work under warranty because I told them the CEL occurred on the race track and they want to bill me 30,000 euro!!! If it had have happened on the road, it would be ok. WTF!

I sat there stunned for a minute before telling them No Freakin' Way am I paying for this and peeled off the following:
- it's a design fault that is caused over time. It's purely coincidental that the CEL occurred on the track
- if it's not a design issue, why did they re-design the parts...I have photos to prove it
- why the f... does Porsche even build the GT3 if warranty doesn't cover track work
- I know of 2 the guys in Belgium who had there engines replaced so why single out me
- when I brought the car in the engineer told me it would be done under warranty
- I made 4 trips to the garage to check on progress and at no point did they tell me the work would not be done under warranty
- If I had have known, I may have taken a different path.

The service manager is a good guy who is supporting but he is fighting PAG. I told him that if this cannot be resolved, I will explore legal avenues, I will sell every Porsche I have, cancel my two orders and invest my money in other more trustworthy brands.

To say I am angry is an understatement. So all of you out there, if a CEL comes up on the track and you have to take the car to the garage, never tell the truth. Tell them it happened on the road, then you are maybe ok.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:44 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,781 Likes on 4,774 Posts

Chris,

I am very sorry to hear this.

From what you are saying, is it correct that PAG does not warrant track use for the GT3 in Europe? Because in the U.S. there is a separate track warranty booklet for the GT3 (i.e., "Driving on the Race Circuit").

Again, sorry to hear this. Please keep us updated and let us (or at least me) know if there's anything we can do to help.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:13 PM
CALSE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ouch! Need to start thinking about selling mine before Porsche warranty expires.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:18 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Just picked my car up after the engine re-build and I am totally, absolutely, freakin' ropable. I have just been told that PAG have not approved the work under warranty because I told them the CEL occurred on the race track and they want to bill me 30,000 euro!!! If it had have happened on the road, it would be ok. WTF! I sat there stunned for a minute before telling them No Freakin' Way am I paying for this and peeled off the following: - it's a design fault that is caused over time. It's purely coincidental that the CEL occurred on the track - if it's not a design issue, why did they re-design the parts...I have photos to prove it - why the f... does Porsche even build the GT3 if warranty doesn't cover track work - I know of 2 the guys in Belgium who had there engines replaced so why single out me - when I brought the car in the engineer told me it would be done under warranty - I made 4 trips to the garage to check on progress and at no point did they tell me the work would not be done under warranty - If I had have known, I may have taken a different path. The service manager is a good guy who is supporting but he is fighting PAG. I told him that if this cannot be resolved, I will explore legal avenues, I will sell every Porsche I have, cancel my two orders and invest my money in other more trustworthy brands. To say I am angry is an understatement. So all of you out there, if a CEL comes up on the track and you have to take the car to the garage, never tell the truth. Tell them it happened on the road, then you are maybe ok.
WOW!

So much for " Porsche will take care of us out of warranty... "
Old 08-31-2016, 02:25 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Well, that sucks. Isn't track use warrantied in Europe? With all the amazing tracks you guys have, how could it NOT be warrantied???
Old 08-31-2016, 02:27 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by neanicu
WOW! So much for " Porsche will take care of us out of warranty... "
I actually think this might be different. It sounds like in Europe track use is not covered under warranty, and not that the warranty expired.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:30 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by robmypro
I actually think this might be different. It sounds like in Europe track use is not covered under warranty, and not that the warranty expired.
I understand that angle,but he is also saying others in Europe have been covered. My point is : if PAG gives a hard time to a customer under warranty,guess what they'll do after that warranty expired...
Old 08-31-2016, 02:33 PM
robmypro
Race Director

I understand that angle,but he is also saying others in Europe have been covered. My point is : if PAG gives a hard time to a customer under warranty,guess what they'll do after that warranty expired...
I fully get you. But I just want to understand the justification for denying the claim under warranty first before I start throwing knives.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:37 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

I fully get you. But I just want to understand the justification for denying the claim under warranty first before I start throwing knives.
Yes,I'd be very interested as well,because this reflects over the entire brand and is not model specific. As far as I'm aware,there's no way that GT3s in Europe are not covered for the race track! If anything,PAG would not cover the US because of the legal system here. But we already know that's not the case since there's specific literature saying it is covered.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:43 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Yes,I'd be very interested as well,because this reflects over the entire brand and is not model specific. As far as I'm aware,there's no way that GT3s in Europe are not covered for the race track! If anything,PAG would not cover the US because of the legal system here. But we already know that's not the case since there's specific literature saying it is covered.
The devil is in the details.

Q1. Was the car under warranty or not?

Q2: If it was under warranty, was this the original warranty or extended/CPO?

Q3: Assuming warranty active, is track usage allowed under the warranty in effect?

We need answers to these 3 questions at an absolute minimum.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:47 PM
CALSE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The devil is in the details.

Q1. Was the car under warranty or not?

Q2: If it was under warranty, was this the original warranty or extended/CPO?

Q3: Assuming warranty active, is track usage allowed under the warranty in effect?

We need answers to these 3 questions at an absolute minimum.
Regardless of the answers to all the above, it appears Porsche is not paying for the top end repair work associated with the known problem. :/

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?