991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 GT3RS vs 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 02:58 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

Words to the pro

Old 02-10-2016, 03:02 AM
Raulza
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Same here and agree with your conclusion (though still have RS spec 993). It's sad, I did 4 track days in Jan and was only 993 in 15 car Porsche group. I see 997.1 RS even less, just one Lonely example has ever run in our group in last three years. It's really sad to see these cars being garage Quebec. Let's face it RS generally crap road car many better 911 choices so once scared to take to the track they become pub bragging rights cars "show cars not go cars" and I'm afraid they are all going that way. There's not a 991 GT3 owner on this board who couldn't have afforded to pony up for a 7.1 RS instead of a new GT3 but yet we on this board have 991 GT3/RS so naturally anyone one here that currently wins 9.1 Gt3/RS and did own 7.1 GT3/RS is probably worth considering the opinion of. Others (many) commenting have no opinions but not put skin in the game....
Macca, does the current predicament of the 991 GT3's engine problems give you reason to be concerned owning one? both in value and driving pleasure?
Old 02-10-2016, 03:03 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 83 Posts

nice find!
Old 02-10-2016, 04:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Raulza
Macca, does the current predicament of the 991 GT3's engine problems give you reason to be concerned owning one? both in value and driving pleasure?
Good question. Not really. I've been along for the ride from the beginning, ED in Dec 2013, new engine 2014, new engine 2016. As long as PAG stand by their product I see no issue. It's been 2.5 years of low/no ownership cost and to be honest the car hasn't actually ever let me down as such. I think I missed a few track sessions only. Better still depreciation has been almost nil so if you factor the compensation I received I think I could get out of it at 3 years, 15.000 miles and 22 track days without loosing a dollar. All the while with track side warranty. To be honest I really don't think any generation GT3 owner has had the luxury of 3 years worth of beating up their car on track for zero depreciation cost. Maybe a few original 7.2 4.0l RS owners? I haven't really even had to pay for a service as the engines keep getting replaced along with new plugs etc!

I've done a bit of work on this and I'm fairly certain they have nailed all the issues with the G (2016) engine. They've know the failure issue for over 12 months now. I suspect in the future any residual damage these issues may cause will actually mean the G series engine cars become the more sought after.

In terms of driving pleasure, I did by the car mostly for the track and I can say in that respect its peerless and even after all this time I really get a high from driving it fast. as a touring and general use car it's also so many leagues ahead of my old GT3 & RS that I find myself wanting to drive it all the time. The only single area I find it not quite as fun as my long owned 993 is for very tight windy back road blasts. Here the older car is more involving and a work out. That being said my old 996 GT3 and subsequent 7.2 GT3RS (friend) I drove those same roads on we're rubbish and worse than either. Maybe it's our UK style narrow bumpy windy twisty roads but every model GT3/RS before 991 was heavily compromised here regardless if it has stiff clutch and not by shifter - they rode too firm, bobbed and weaved, lots of tyre roar, they tram lined and you had to back off a lot especially big dips where they would actually bottom out. PAG built these cars for smooth roads and race tracks they were never meant to be any good on a Targa course or a fast magically windy New Zealand B road.

So to paraphrase. If you are getting tired of the responsibility of ownership, increasing track insurance premiums and limited window of usage your RS provides then cash in your chips for a new G series 2016 GT3 and rest assured it will become the go car not show car you really wanted, just like your old RS was before it became a hallowed treasure no one ever drives. As a genuine 993RS owner I speak pearls of wisdom from one who has actually faced the same dilemma. Life is too short to be parked in the garage. carpe Diem!! seize the Day....
Old 02-10-2016, 04:20 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,091 Likes on 2,339 Posts

I'm fortunate to own both and without a doubt I say keep the 997RS.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:14 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Honnestly I would trade it.. After owning a car for more than 3 years, I usually get bored and look for something new. Who cares if the car goes up or down, and chances are that your car is already valued at a high price and any more appreciation will be minor.

I say do the trade and never look back. Enjoy new car, with new warranty, and drive it like you stole it. Subconsciously, owning a appreciating car will not make you drive it to its full potential.

Thats why I say, do the trade and never look back. You've had your time in the 997 and it seems like you are ready to do the trade or you wouldnt even have considered it in the first place.

Just my 0.02
Old 02-10-2016, 05:48 AM
Raulza
Intermediate

As gathered, i'm really attached to the RS but the comments made by both Macca and Shahano resonate with me as for me car ownership is about the most fun you can have with the toys you have at your disposal. The 997 GT3RS has been fantastic and faultless in my hands, but I also dont want to get stuck in the past and looking forward the 991 now or the next generation will provide huge amount of entertainment as well

Macca, your view on the current status of GT3 engines is reassuring and your last paragraph does make sense the way I see things...... thanks for your insight
Old 02-10-2016, 05:59 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Raulza
As gathered, i'm really attached to the RS but the comments made by both Macca and Shahano resonate with me as for me car ownership is about the most fun you can have with the toys you have at your disposal. The 997 GT3RS has been fantastic and faultless in my hands, but I also dont want to get stuck in the past and looking forward the 991 now or the next generation will provide huge amount of entertainment as well Macca, your view on the current status of GT3 engines is reassuring and your last paragraph does make sense the way I see things...... thanks for your insight
You are welcome mate. Just another perspective. Either way you choose you win the way I see it ;-)
Old 02-10-2016, 09:06 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 140 Posts

Ask yourself this... why would someone trade their 991 gt3 for a 997 RS?

I also am fortunate to have both. Reason I kept the 997 rs is because there will never be another 6 speed mezger engine gt3 without all the tech. I have a sharkwerks exhaust and RSS full tarmac suspension and engine mounts. The car is a LOT more involving than the 991 GT3.

Keep the 997 and plan to get a new gt3 in the future when you can.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:11 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

a 997 without tech ??
Old 02-10-2016, 09:25 AM
ewjax
AutoX

Originally Posted by fxz
a 997 without tech ??
Ok. A little... but not like the 991. Tc only, no rear wheel steering, no ESC, manual gearbox... so less tech. No?
Old 02-10-2016, 11:05 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
You are welcome mate. Just another perspective. Either way you choose you win the way I see it ;-)
Agree with this^

You can't loose. Both are great. Depends on your age, usage of car, what triggers driver enjoyment?

If money is no factor I would add 991gt3. If money is factor I would sell 997rs and add gt4.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:19 AM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I'm fortunate to own both and without a doubt I say keep the 997RS.
Agreed...

Old 02-10-2016, 11:47 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Our 997 GT3 is a lowly non-RS, but recall that there isn't much mechanical difference between the two. With that perspective, I'd say you'd want both. They're pretty different cars and both are rewarding in their own way. I know that doesn't help if you can only have one.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:56 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,840 Likes on 1,121 Posts

There are keepers (special, worth keeping, enjoying for many years, on road or track), and there are drivers (utility cars to enjoy and move on). The 991 GT3 to me is a driver, just like my cayenne (albeit with a much different purpose). The 997RS, 964 coupe, 86+ coupes, long hoods, etc are keepers. Most others, drivers. Enjoy and move on to the next latest and greatest.

I think most agree the older cars have driving involvement over the newer cars. See, macca has a fantastic 993, sure learning to drive that thing taught him a thing or 2 about driving the 991 at a high pace. And I agree with him on canyon/mountain roads, the older cars (my 964) are more fun than the newer cars.

This is why you must have all of them. :-) My next addition will be a 912 or a GT4. Odd mix huh?

Quick Reply: 997.1 GT3RS vs 991 GT3