Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any *good* experience with Track Precision app?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 06:49 AM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Any *good* experience with Track Precision app?

Hi,

I've got a GT4 but since the GT3 with Sport Chromo has been around for longer, I decided to post here.

Has anyone using an English version of the Porsche Track Precision app had a consistently good experience with it? I've seen Nur93's thread where he says it works great for him but I'm excluding that because perhaps him having better luck has got something to do with him using a German version of the app.

If I could find someone who Track Precision is working well for, perhaps we can figure out what other people who aren't so lucky are doing different. It's frustrating because the app has so much promise. It's worked well for me but for the major problem of it deleting sessions. I'm currently looking at other options (Vbox Video HD2 being the main one) but I'm not quite ready to give up on Track Precision.

Thanks!
Fergus
Old 01-20-2016, 08:06 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 194 Posts

Forget it. Tried it over the weekend and it's insta-trash. $1k buys a SoloDL and ECU bridge and that gets you a setup 10x more useful.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:52 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,780 Likes on 4,774 Posts

It's worked for me.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:14 AM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by FergusH
Hi,
. It's worked well for me but for the major problem of it deleting sessions.
This is what makes it useless to me, nothing like finally putting a few laps together only to find out later the only ones not deleted were the laps you'd rather forget.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:06 PM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tgibrit
This is what makes it useless to me, nothing like finally putting a few laps together only to find out later the only ones not deleted were the laps you'd rather forget.
"Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?"

What's odd is that not everyone has this problem and it seems that some people *never* have the problem. There's gotta be a reason why and I hoping that if I can find people who the app works for, so maybe we can figure it out why. Other than side-by-side video comparison of laps, Track Precision does most of what I want and if I can get it to work reliably, I'd avoid paying ~$4000 for a Vbox HD2 setup.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:13 PM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
It's worked for me.
Does it work for you reliably? If you have a moment, perhaps could you answer these questions?

1. Has the app ever deleted a session (without you tapping delete)?
2. How many times / total sessions have you used the app for?
3. What phone do you use?
4. What operating system type and version does your phone use (e.g., iOS 9.2)?
5. Are you using an external GPS or the phone's GPS?

Thanks!
Fergus
Old 01-20-2016, 01:28 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

See answers below in red.

Does it work for you reliably? If you have a moment, perhaps could you answer these questions?

1. Has the app ever deleted a session (without you tapping delete)? No
2. How many times / total sessions have you used the app for? Probably around 6-7 days.
3. What phone do you use? iPhone 6
4. What operating system type and version does your phone use (e.g., iOS 9.2)? Currently, have iOS 9.2.1. Haven't used the App on the latest software patch for iOS 9, however. Have used it on 9.1.
5. Are you using an external GPS or the phone's GPS? No.

Thanks!
Fergus
Old 01-20-2016, 01:31 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Its not that it can't be used to get "good" results.......its that it is so far behind the data speed, features, and ease of use from other systems
Old 01-20-2016, 01:42 PM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

See answers below in red.
Thanks! That's very interesting that it's been working reliably for you. I'm going to starting tracking info here:

https://goo.gl/xc41pw

I've been using an old iPhone 5 but I've got an iPhone 6 I can try. I've also been using an external GPS, so maybe I'll try without it.

One other question: do you plan to keep using the app or are you also looking for other options?
Old 01-20-2016, 01:45 PM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Its not that it can't be used to get "good" results.......its that it is so far behind the data speed, features, and ease of use from other systems
I'm in a slightly different situation because I'm driving a GT4 and currently, there's no data acquisition system that'll record brake pressure...at least, no one seems to have one installed and got one working yet.

What system are you using? Also, what do you mean by "data speed"? I didn't notice a problem with that and the Porsche app.

If I could get Track Precision to work, I'd probably use it over Harry's Laptimer, as that hasn't been very reliable - or easy to use - either. Definitely thinking about buying a Vbox Video HD2 when they come out in April or May.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:56 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in a slightly situation because I'm driving a GT4 and currently, there's no data acquisition system that'll record brake pressure...at least, no one seems to have one installed and working yet.

What system are you using? Also, what do you mean by "data speed"?

If I could get Track Precision to work, I'd probably use it over Harry's Laptimer, as that hasn't been very reliable - or easy to use - either. Definitely thinking about buying a Vbox Video HD2 when they come out in April or May.
I use AiM soloDL.......

I'm sure you've already found this old thread (I think this is the thread you referenced in OP but I put link just in case you haven't) but if you choose to try to continue on with it some good experience info on this thread (edit: never mind I see you have been on there)

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ision-app.html
Old 01-20-2016, 02:01 PM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sccchiii
I use AiM soloDL.......

I'm sure you've already found this old thread (I think this is the thread you referenced in OP but I put link just in case you haven't) but if you choose to try to continue on with it some good experience info on this threadedit: never mind I see you have been on there)

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ision-app.html
How do you like the AiM Solo DL? Do you get brake pressure from OBD or a CAN connection?

Thanks for the link. I read through all that (and posted myself) but decided it might be good to look for people who Track Precision *is* working and figure out whether it's luck or something with their config.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:12 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

How do you like the AiM Solo DL? Do you get brake pressure from OBD or a CAN connection?

Thanks for the link. I read through all that (and posted myself) but decided it might be good to look for people who Track Precision *is* working and figure out whether it's luck or something with their config.
The one thing that AIM Solo DL has that the App does not is predictive lap times.

Between the AIM Solo and a SmartyCam, you're looking at a comparable price to the Track App.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:13 PM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

The one thing that AIM Solo DL has that the App does not is predictive lap times.
Ah, that would be cool.

I didn't spec my GT4 - it was one that the dealer had ordered - and it already included Sport Chrono. If I was ordering a car now, I definitely wouldn't order Sport Chrono, as $1800 is a lot to pay for a clock and a not-very-reliable data logger, but since I've got it already, I've been trying to make it work.

Last edited by FergusH; 01-20-2016 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:38 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

As we've discussed, Porsche Track Precision has randomly deleted my sessions enough times for me to give up using it.

I now use Harry's Lap Timer plus external XGPS160. This combo should give equal accuracy to any solution out there. The main downside is lack of real-time low-latency throttle / brake pressure overlay (the Bluetooth OBD systems are too laggy it seems).

Someone needs to make an ultra low latency CAN to Bluetooth or WiFi link with support in Harry's Lap Timer.

Or even better (for us with the Porsche junk) would be if Porsche opened up the protocol for 3rd party apps to access the Track Precision vehicle data over wifi.

Quick Reply: Any *good* experience with Track Precision app?