964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

To share or not to share

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 07:56 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by jim dorociak
Surgery was 1 week ago. It turns out the surgery was the easy part, it was getting my bladder and bowls to come back to life after a spinal block that has been the biggest and hardest part so far. If you can not get these simple functions back to normal they in turn start to consume your life. If only I had understood my body better and known these were the real issues for me, I would have eaten less, eaten healthier, eaten easier to digest foods. Now the good news - I am back to normal.
I assume they didn't let you go home until normal functions resumed, correct?
That's a problem for everyone. I was give a general anesthesia but I was so dehydrated I didn't pee for 48 hours. As for the other function, a nurses' aid fixed me up with prune juice mixed with Vernor's Ginger Ale (Vernor's is a Detroit staple). Delicious and certainly did the trick.
With two good knees you will be able to take better care of yourself with some exercise
Old 07-23-2014, 08:29 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Paul I had to stay an extra 1 1/2 days because I could not urinate on my own and it was very frustrating to finally realize that was the make or break it to get out. The catheter was put in 4 times so at some point no matter what is going on it is now a problem and without getting too graphic I can only tell you today at home some 6 days later I finally learned about manual stimulation and the miracle happened. So much of what I dealt with could have eased the transition with a better selection of foods, quantity and more liquids being consumed. In hindsight if I had been a little better informed, I could have self directed for better results. So one knee down and another one scheduled in two months -- fingers crossed. Jim
Old 07-23-2014, 08:38 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Jim, I had back surgery and had a bed next to a man having both knees done at the same time. He refused to use the pan and held out on number twos for 5 days until he could walk to the bathroom. He held out by not drinking tea as that was his usual trigger. He certainly knew his body. Hope your recovery is swift from here on so you can refurbish some more bling.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:44 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Speaking of bling. I'm doing a light clean of my wheels tonight. I gather I can't go to far wrong with meguiars hot rim clean and some aluminum polish on the rims?
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2014, 08:46 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I will repaint the calipers and hope to put on 10,000 + miles on the car in the next couple of years so don't want perfect.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:52 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

What you are cleaning and possibly polishing is not spun aluminum outer rim or the cast aluminum center but the clear powder coating sprayed over the entire wheel after it is assembled and baked at the Speedline factory. Be careful as you only have so much to work with. Use very gentle products on that finish. jdorociak@gmail.com jim
Old 07-23-2014, 09:01 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

What you are cleaning and possibly polishing is not spun aluminum outer rim or the cast aluminum center but the clear powder coating sprayed over the entire wheel after it is assembled and baked at the Speedline factory. Be careful as you only have so much to work with. Use very gentle products on that finish. jdorociak@gmail.com jim
Thanks Jim. When I first bought the car in 2001 I had them 'refurbed'. I suspect that was a general cleaning of the rim. The center looks clear coated whereas the rim looks naked. Nevertheless I will be very careful.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:16 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

So the outer rims were polished, etchings missing and no clear coat - just keep then up and you should be fine. Sometimes guys will send me just the outer rims and I redo them or if theirs are starting to show weathering they buy new and switch out. jdorociak@gmail.com jim
Old 07-23-2014, 09:33 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

So the outer rims were polished, etchings missing and no clear coat - just keep then up and you should be fine. Sometimes guys will send me just the outer rims and I redo them or if theirs are starting to show weathering they buy new and switch out. jdorociak@gmail.com jim
I think there are faint etchings left. My garage light is not that strong to see. I'll look tonight.

I've spent much of the last year with a track obsession so the Turbo 3.6 had just sat. Now I'm giving it some love and attention. Thankfully we have no salt on our roads and it's always been garaged so corrosion is not at issue. I really want it preserved, looking good and driven. Some of the prices for the pristine cars are very high. I don't want to get into the trap of making it too nice because I'll be scared to drive it.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:00 AM
30 CSL
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice to see you're back Jim
Old 07-24-2014, 02:32 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Strong light and a magnifying glass confirmed that the wheels are totally clear coated. A 30 second clean in Meguiars Hot Rims, followed by some wax brought the wheels up to the standard I was looking for on the street.
Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2014, 01:30 AM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Guys I am still mending and today passed my follow up visit with flying colors. I am ahead of schedule and since I am a glutton for punishment I am now scheduled for my 2nd knee replacement surgery for September 17th. I appears two weeks after surgery I am able to move around and start standing without my leg swelling. Thank goodness for the PT's who are pushing me and helping recover my range of motion which is critical at this time. jdorociak@gmail.com jim

Last edited by jim dorociak; 08-02-2014 at 01:14 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:11 AM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope you have a speedy recovery Jim, can't wait to send my wheels to you for restoration.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:02 AM
dirtdrdave
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim,
I've been off of the forum for a while and just came across this. Good luck with part two!
Dave
Old 08-27-2014, 11:01 AM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Dave, thank you for the good thoughts. I have my follow up visit tomorrow with my Doctor and pre op meetings start next week for my right knee. It has been interesting and I will be glad to get through this. Jim jdorociak@gmail.com

Quick Reply: To share or not to share