Sponsored by:

Touch up paint on cooling fan?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 04:44 PM
YaHoo!
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touch up paint on cooling fan?

I cleaned my cooling fan today and checked it for cracks. Thankfully no cracks but I need to paint the Mg fan or I will have issues. My inclination is not to powdercoat it but to simply remove it and carefully sand the peeling parts and apply touch up paint. Any known issues with that procedure? Any recommendations for which paint to use? I plan to match it to the fan's color.
Thanks. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  195.3 KB
Old 10-03-2015, 05:08 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is sticking through at 11:00 O'clock in pic?
Old 10-03-2015, 05:57 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

This is not an OEM finish
Apparently it was already painted hence the peeling

ful stip and or powder coating is the only way to go
Elliot
Old 10-03-2015, 07:18 PM
YaHoo!
Racer

Originally Posted by C4inLA
What is sticking through at 11:00 O'clock in pic?
That's a protruding "seam" from the manufacturer.

Originally Posted by Turbohead
This is not an OEM finish
Apparently it was already painted hence the peeling

ful stip and or powder coating is the only way to go
Elliot
That makes sense never seen a tan fan before only silver or folks' colored powdercoats.

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2015, 09:37 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 372 Posts

Never seen a tan oem paint. Here's how they come now.
Attached Images  
Old 10-05-2015, 11:05 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

If you plan on painting it, do not touch up the current paint, just strip it and repaint with an engine enamel that has ceramic in the paint. Then coat with clear VHT if you want to make it a little easier to clean the dirt off. I left mine painted the OEM gold color but I am contemplating painting it another color.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:21 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,351 Posts

Problem is these are painted Zermatt Silver and for some reason the paint turns a tan color over the years. Matching it will be next to impossible now that it has changed.

If your going to remove it you might as well have it media blasted to remove any corrosion otherwise the paint will just not adhere. Ideally a chemical conversion should be done prior to paint but it is not worth the expense. You can rattle can it but should use a self etching primer and allow it to cure for 72 hours before applying whatever color you want.

Not sure if the pictures help but here is my turbo fan in like new condition zermatt silver. My C2 showing signs of turning Zermatt silver and my 993 fan turned almost to the same color as yours all Zermatt silver to begin with. This is also an issue on the earlier mag valve covers, along with the valve and intake covers used on the 944's, 968's and 928's and most mag parts painted during that era.
Attached Images    

Last edited by cobalt; 10-05-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:41 AM
YaHoo!
Racer

Originally Posted by LPMM
If you plan on painting it, do not touch up the current paint, just strip it and repaint with an engine enamel that has ceramic in the paint. Then coat with clear VHT if you want to make it a little easier to clean the dirt off. I left mine painted the OEM gold color but I am contemplating painting it another color.

Thanks I may do this. Who's fan is that in the picture? Love the color! Looks darker than the original color.

Originally Posted by cobalt
Problem is these are painted Zermatt Silver and for some reason the paint turns a tan color over the years. Matching it will be next to impossible now that it has changed.

If your going to remove it you might as well have it media blasted to remove any corrosion otherwise the paint will just not adhere. Ideally a chemical conversion should be done prior to paint but it is not worth the expense. You can rattle can it but should use a self etching primer and allow it to cure for 72 hours before applying whatever color you want.
Thanks Cobalt- that makes more sense to me- above it was suggested that because of the color it had to have been resprayed BUT it looks to be original paint- having it fade from Zermatt Silver to this color is more consistent with its appearance.

I wonder if anything short of powder coating will result in eventual paint loss at the leading edge of each blade.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:44 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,351 Posts

Originally Posted by YaHoo!
Thanks I may do this. Who's fan is that in the picture? Love the color! Looks darker than the original color.

Thanks Cobalt- that makes more sense to me- above it was suggested that because of the color it had to have been resprayed BUT it looks to be original paint- having it fade from Zermatt Silver to this color is more consistent with its appearance.

I wonder if anything short of powder coating will result in eventual paint loss at the leading edge of each blade.
Powder coating is durable but make sure it is evenly applied and also the mag is properly cleaned.

Eventually it will abrade. Particulate gets sucked into the fan at speed and will eventually damage the outer edge
Old 10-05-2015, 12:22 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Here's an example of one where heat + time has aged it to a color very similar to yours.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:17 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

That is my fan that I replaced a little over a year ago. It is OEM Zermatt silver, but it almost looks like it has some gold in it depending on the light. Interesting color for sure.

Quick Reply: Touch up paint on cooling fan?