Sponsored by:

ANOTHER REPLACEMENT FOR CCU FAN FROM JAGUAR XJ40

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 11:52 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default ANOTHER REPLACEMENT FOR CCU FAN FROM JAGUAR XJ40

Jaguar Part CBC 9133, got mine on ebay for about $15 bucks. Dont know cost at dealer, maybe someone can post that. I am painfully aware that there is a Jag tax so the part could be more expensive that Porsche..

No major work with this one...Swap bracket and change plug, direct fit after that

Old 05-05-2015, 12:05 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good find
Old 05-05-2015, 09:56 AM
mtnbikeman123
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be visiting the u-pull-it this weekend to find a replacement. See this thread for a list of compatible vehicles. There are a million Chrysler vehicles in the yards so I am assuming this will be my donor.

-0410 Porsche 964.659.148.00
-790 Chevrolet
-0691 Audi A8 1994-98
-0860 Honda CR-V (european only?)
-0741 LandRover Discovery
-0770 Jaguar XJ8 1998-03
-0632 Chrysler 300M, Intrepid, Concorde
Old 05-05-2015, 08:50 PM
Norse_man
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saw the two dabs of silicone on my ccu fan also. The new ones don't have those two white blobs on them.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:26 PM
C24FUN
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Regarding the silicon blobs on the clips. I just picked up a couple of Denso fans from a used Chrysler parts guy. These are the same motor but a different support bracket. I noticed that the electo-magnetic drive portion of the motor, which is held on by those star clips, was loose because the clips had slipped on the plastic studs. This was allowing interference between the drive and the fan.

I pushed the clips back tight and painted them with some clear laquer to keep them secure. This solved the interference problem. I guess this explains why they sometimes come with additional "glue" to prevent this.

Cheers!

Jim G.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:36 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

I always assumed I was getting yoyoing heat/cold because something was broken in the ccu- when I finally pulled the ccu to inspect, it turned out the ccu fan was unplugged by someone in the past no doubt because it was grumbling, what a smart solution, not! I stripped the fan cleaned it out and added a dab of grease which quietened it down nicely... for a couple of days.

Anyway thanks to this fine thread I scored a s/h Land Rover replacement for my ccu fan for £19 from ebay. Arrived today and at lunch I nipped out to garage to swap with my current one - in the process I took the "manifold" off the top of my original fan and found a screw which looked ripe for adjustment! This allows you to move the bearing in an out to take up wear - I notice the new ccu fan doesn't have this.

I cracked the locking nut and played with the adjustment with the fan running from my bench 12v supply until I found the sweet spot and nipped the lock nut back up. It is now quieter than the 10year newer replacement fan I bought! So, original fan back in the car - job done, and now I have a spare for 25 years time
Old 07-01-2020, 01:43 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by alexjc4
I always assumed I was getting yoyoing heat/cold because something was broken in the ccu- when I finally pulled the ccu to inspect, it turned out the ccu fan was unplugged by someone in the past no doubt because it was grumbling, what a smart solution, not! I stripped the fan cleaned it out and added a dab of grease which quietened it down nicely... for a couple of days.

Anyway thanks to this fine thread I scored a s/h Land Rover replacement for my ccu fan for £19 from ebay. Arrived today and at lunch I nipped out to garage to swap with my current one - in the process I took the "manifold" off the top of my original fan and found a screw which looked ripe for adjustment! This allows you to move the bearing in an out to take up wear - I notice the new ccu fan doesn't have this.

I cracked the locking nut and played with the adjustment with the fan running from my bench 12v supply until I found the sweet spot and nipped the lock nut back up. It is now quieter than the 10year newer replacement fan I bought! So, original fan back in the car - job done, and now I have a spare for 25 years time
This is an old post but I'm about to under take this work and wanted to verify - you found that by dismantling the stock fan you could adjust it to run smoothly, with no parts needed at all. Is that correct?
Old 07-01-2020, 01:47 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Yes that's right and it still runs OK to this day, just needs a little tuning up to get it to run quietly. It's a bit like adjusting a tappet the hex nut is the lock nut so you crack that loose and use a screwdriver to gently nip up the bearing and then hold it still with the screwdriver while tightening the lock nut. I was running the fan off a 12v supply on my bench while I did it which helped find the quiet sweetspot
Old 07-01-2020, 01:50 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Now I feel pretty smart for buying a DC power supply!

Thanks for this tip - I'm not sure why others haven't used this technique maybe their fans were too far gone and swapping the Jag part was preferable or just knowing they have something newer in there feels better.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:55 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

It may be that I have an early 89 C4 with a different fan and later cars have "sealed for life" fans with no adjustment.

I must say having the bench power supply makes it a much more viable job to adjust it, otherwise you'd be fitting and removing everything to test it which would be rather hit and miss. Obviously you want to apply the minimum adjustment to make it run quietly and not add drag/load on the tiny electric motor.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:58 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

PET suggests no... I'll let you guys know what I find on my '91 C4

Old 07-01-2020, 10:23 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

I can confirm that the later cars have the same adjustment mechanism. However I found that connected to a 12 V power supply the motor will not start regularly. It needs to be tapped or rotated to certain angles to start.

I removed the impeller and learned that this is a permanent magnet brushless type motor. I did some reading about these and found many photos of motors with multiple coils and multiple magnets. I don’t know if the fact that this motor appears to have one coil and two magnets makes starting it more difficult. I also do not know if there is some sort of pulsed 12v used to start the motor. Has anyone else come across this?

Old 07-02-2020, 06:35 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 238 Posts

The CCU fan output is DC, no pulses there.
The fan magnets weakens, and the bearing wears out on these fans. I see little reason to fiddle with this, and always change the fan when they do not start or make a rattle.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 07-02-2020, 08:07 AM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

I came to this conclusion after entirely dismantling the fan last night and reading about brushless motors. It’s too bad because this is the rare small DC motor that appears to have nicely designed bushings that are adjustable. Oh well
Old 07-07-2020, 10:33 AM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Received 173000-0700 from a mid 90's jag $20 on ebay. Swapped it over and all good. The run-on after shut down is how I know its working - never heard that before! Someone remind me why it does this and if the duration is supposed to change? I started the car for less than a minute to make sure I didn't fry the CCU with my surgery and the thing ran for some time (not longer than the 10-20min mentioned by Tore).

Quick Reply: ANOTHER REPLACEMENT FOR CCU FAN FROM JAGUAR XJ40