Sponsored by:

VEMS install

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 07:07 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck
This is really confusing. I am guessing yours is not set up exactly like mine.

For mine I was to take a wire and connect it to the AFM at the plug in the engine compartment and connect it in the wire harness that fed power to the injectors which I think was pin 9 in the big plug in the engine bay fuse box. To make it clean and since I did not need AFM anymore, I cut off the plug and spliced the wire to the AFM positive wire. Then I taped this wire along the harness into fuse box and added to the power inside the plug.

I believe the flyback is the only thing that makes the VEMS more difficult to install. Once that is made very clear, the rest is easy.
Yes Peep has explained that I need to do the same re wiring the AFM power lead in the engine bay to the injector power supply.

My post was really just to note what the relevant DME pins were actually connected to inside the VEMS. It seems to me the reason Peep is asking us to use the AFM power supply wire is simply that inside the VEMS he has connected that pin on the DME connector to the VEMS flyback system. I can't see that there's anything magic about the AFM power wiring - it's just a convenient wire in the loom.

As I see it you could run a dedicated separate wire from EC36 pin 23 inside the VEMS to the injector positive feed and not need to cut up the AFM plug. Since I have to make up a loom for the WB02 I may as well do that as it's no more work really.

Maybe Peep could elaborate further.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:43 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Here's the pinout for my VEMS, translating the DME pin to the VEMS pins (i just need to check the injector pin assignments with my DVM)

Old 01-26-2015, 08:52 AM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flyback

Here is where I connected my flyback. I cut off the AFM plug, connected wire to 12v supply, and taped it back into harness. I then connected the wire from AFM plug to pin 8 on the plug in the fuse panel. I am still trying to confirm if this is correct or not. I really do not understand the flyback portion of this install as there is no clear pictures of where to install it.
Attached Images   
Old 01-26-2015, 11:16 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

I am running VEMS - but I have an early system that used Mega Squirt software. When the VEMS software was developed and upgraded I tried to make the conversion to the new software. However, I had significant issues with the fuel injection control - injectors would not cycle and stayed in the on position all the time. They flooded the engine and added about 2 quarts of gas to my oil over the time period of trying to resolve issue. I would like to up grade to the new software for the advancements in tuning capability, but am still gun shy of the issues I could run into. Does anyone know of someone knowledgeable enough to help me with this conversion.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:42 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Have you seen this page?

http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?pa...irmwareChanges
Old 01-26-2015, 12:04 PM
Duck
Burning Brakes

The flooding will happen if wiring is not correct and instructions are not followed. I found out the hard way.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:14 PM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Flooding can occur when very old firmware is updated to new firmware (whe difference is very big(, that's why it is mandatory to remove injector and ignition connectors/fuses. It is written in the instructions also.

Gus, please download latest vemstune from here: http://www.vems.hu/vt/ , install it and run it. Save the current config file and then upgrade firmware to 1.2 11 which is the newest your ECU can most likely run without upgrading the boot loader. It is still very fresh firmware.
Also please PM me your email and I will send you a good working config file for firmware 1.2.11.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:15 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

The engine runs great under the current hardware and software -
It was just when I tried to make the conversion to the new VEMS hardware update and then load new VEMS software that I had issues. Converted back to all old and everything started and ran fine - still is -
Just want to take advantage of the new tuning software .
Old 01-26-2015, 12:16 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Duck
The flooding will happen if wiring is not correct and instructions are not followed. I found out the hard way.
But you have a new unit supplied by Peep don't you? Surely that came with the latest firmware - or were your injector/flooding issues not related to firmware changes?
Old 01-26-2015, 12:53 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Raceboy
I made him the harness from AFM to MAT and flyback.
This sounds useful Peep, can you post some instructions on how to make this?

Also in case you missed it earlier; can you provide some instructions how to solder the ISV "flyback" diode inside the VEMS unit?
Old 01-26-2015, 02:17 PM
Duck
Burning Brakes

I am not sure what happened to mine. I am tracking down the issues. I did fry my injector drivers which has been fixed and back in transit to me.

I did checking at lunch. Pin 37 on DME harness does feed power to injector main power source. Still really confused where the flyback should be hooked up. I thought I understood and did a very clean setup in the wire harness from AFM power plug to pin 8 on the plug in the rear fuse box. Now not so sure. Hopefully it will become clearer before I try again.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:46 PM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Gus, the new firmware offers much much better driveability and tuning options than any megatune based firmware.

Alex, I will send you a photo where to solder the diode. I can send a schematic how I made the AFM harness. It required sourcing old AFM units and taking male connector from it.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:02 PM
Duck
Burning Brakes

I am interested too in the details.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:24 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Here's the schematic where to connect air temp sensor and how to connect flyback. Note that you can connect the flyback wire where the junction of all 012v injector supply wires is, it is not needed to connect it to connector.
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2015, 04:07 PM
neffets
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gus, I see you have varioram intake installed and i see from the stock power curves that it's good for 50nm at low rpm's. So I guess you feel a big differene at mid rpm with this?
My car is not a track car, so for normal drivning this must be a well worth upgrade?
Mabye I'll get one since the vems can support it.

Quick Reply: VEMS install