Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow Mouse - an oldie 964 to compete with 997 Cups - maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 11:14 AM
perrew
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jstyer
Damn son... That is some seriously awesome goodies on that ride. Whose frames did you use for the flush mount windows? I'm thinking about going with Getty.
Tks mate! I used Hahn-gfk.de for the frames and glass. He has lots of stuff for the 993gt2evo stuff and does good work in Carbon/GFk as well. Some of the Carbon parts are from him. I think it was Jean from the 993 forum that introduced me too him. He has good pricing as well. I have no experience with Getty unfortunately.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:22 AM
perrew
Instructor

Originally Posted by ThomasC2
A very thin layer of rubber. It doesn't matter. And you can't buy the GT2 rods anymore. I did this upgrade to this winter. But since I have a narrow body I had to replace the beams/carriers holding the control arms. Otherwise I couldn't get more than -1,3 front camber. But really happy with this upgrade after some trackdays this year.

Isn't it s bit overkill with the tie rods you have? Or will you run the car super low?

Thomas
Hahaha youre probably right it might be overkill but knowing myself Id just wonder if "I shouldnt have done this upgrade"? But I try to build it somehow flexible to run whatever height I wanna try and also run slicks on it.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:26 AM
perrew
Instructor

Originally Posted by jack.pe
Hey, love this car!!!

What benefit do the 993RS uprights bring to the table aside from the lower weight? and any rough idea on what the cost is with the associated hardware to mount them on a 964?
Is it just the 993RS outer tie rods that need to be used?
Tks a lot for the cheers!!

They fix the issues with bumpsteer when you lower the car excessively.
I think you need to change the Brake rotors to 993RS and there might be some other changes you need to do but there are available Porsche parts for it. I changed my Brake setup to 997 Cup S so we had to deal with some more issues.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:32 AM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Nice build! Now all you need are air jacks.

Was it originally painted Rubystone?
Old 07-30-2014, 11:33 AM
perrew
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
...wanted the kids to be able to enjoy the car!

I love that. Not that's starting the next generation off on the right foot!

I'm sure you'll be close... no question you'll definitely be having more fun!

I love that detail too. It really cleans up the rear 3/4 view.
When the kids tag along to the shop and see an orange Gallardo and say: "Should have bought one of those instead dad" you just say "well where would you guys be sitting?" :-)

Havent weighed it yet so Im quite anxious to see how close I am at the moment.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:35 AM
perrew
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by Ken D
Nice build! Now all you need are air jacks.

Was it originally painted Rubystone?
No they will add weight:-))

Yes I believe it was so I was quite torn to go with white but I figured that would be slightly more under the radar....
Old 07-30-2014, 11:36 AM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by perrew
No they will add weight:-))

Yes I believe it was so I was quite torn to go with white but I figured that would be slightly more under the radar....
Traditional Porsche Motorsports color, so you're in good company. Would look killer in Rubystone though
Old 07-30-2014, 11:45 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah. Snow mouse sounds better than PINK mouse

Did Hahn-gfk.de make your carbon sill covers and shark fins?
Old 07-30-2014, 12:00 PM
perrew
Instructor

Pink Mouse thats the Gen2 build:-)
White vs Ruby one of those decisions.... well white always nice for a livery

No the side rockers I got from Cargraphics www.cargraphicsts.com
The mfg for CG said it was better to go with GFK because the Carbon fibre ones would need to be glued. But I figuered since all else is CF I didnt want to stray from that. But the body shop didnt think gluing would be such a good idea to be able to service/remove them so they went with the black screws, dont know if thats aesthetically perfect but at least functional.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:44 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

If I recall correctly the 993RS Tie Rods had some rubber in them?
The tie rods are are 2 part affairs, outer and inner.
The 993RS outer is shaped to go w/ the 993RS wheel carrier, the 993 outer is shaped more like the 964 outer and is designed for the long arm wheel carriers used on the steel 964 and aluminum 993 wheel carriers

the 964/993 and 993RS inners all have rubber in the end that connects to the outer, the 993Rs is a little stiffer rubber. The 993RSR/993GT2 inners used a monoball connection.

This is a 993RS tie rod set

top is a 993 outer/inner set, the outer has the curved section to go w/ the long arm stock wheel carriers
bottom is a GT2 outer/inner set the outer has the 993RS straight section and the inner has the mon-ball connection.

You are using an outer section w/ an bump steer o/s some like to run the bump analysis on their cars, rather than go w/ the factory 993RS outer
Old 07-30-2014, 12:52 PM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jack.pe
Hey, love this car!!!

What benefit do the 993RS uprights bring to the table aside from the lower weight? and any rough idea on what the cost is with the associated hardware to mount them on a 964?
Is it just the 993RS outer tie rods that need to be used?
There are threads about this if your search but it is a lot of parts and work to get it done. Money is aobut +2000£ depending on new/used parts, what you already have, and i fyou can do the job yourself. It can easily be 4000 also.

-993RS upgrights
-993RS tie rods
-993 control arms or modify the ones you have. The mounting bolt for the upright joint is 2 mm thicker on 993. I pressed out the old one, drilled, and pressed in the correct one.
-Wheel bearings beacuse you dont re-use old ones.
-993 bolt holding the wheel bearing plate.
-993 ABS sensorns. The are fitted in a 90 degrees angle compared to 964
-Bushings int the control arms. You don't want old rubber if you spend money on this. I opted for powerflex.
-You have to drill the lower hole on the strut because 993 has M14 and M12 compared to 964, only M12
-For narrow body, just must also replace the longitudal beams/carrier/mounts holding the control arms. They give you the correct width otherwise you don't get any camber. The give you 30 mm more total track widht.
-993 Brake discs because the hub offset is different.
-Calipers like Big red or similiar if you don't already have them
-Some nuts and bolts for the hub, strut etc.

The job is to remove everything, press out the hub and press it back in the new upright and mount all the parts.

Benefits? This is only for track use if you don't think it is fun to spend money. If you go on RS height or a little lower you will feel a difference on track:

-No bump steer.
-More stable overall. I can now hold the steering wheel with one hand, brake in a bumpy braking zone, down shift and start turn in with one hand.
-More stable in the front under load and braking
-More traction in the front, even less understeer, even if my front end was good before, given by the extra width.
-My manual steering rack takes less effort to handle because the angles are better.
-I don't need an adapter for my big reds.
-All parts har lighter but stronger which is good on track with 18" and R-tires.

The car is better but not "transformed". So for me it was worth but this is not an upgrade for everyone.

Thomas
Old 07-30-2014, 01:48 PM
perrew
Instructor

Bill, thank you very much for posting those pics, I recall having seem them before and there a nice description of the differences. I think we got the gt2 ones but then got the ones from Tarret for some reason.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:24 PM
perrew
Instructor

@ThomasC2 thats a great writeup tks so much for that, two things I dont recall you get 30mm extra track and the ABS stuff Ive read up on a couple of times but I dont think weve changed that out, well be fun seeing if it works anyway?
Old 07-30-2014, 05:06 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No the side rockers I got from Cargraphics www.cargraphicts.com
The mfg for CG said it was better to go with GFK because the Carbon fibre ones would need to be glued. But I figuered since all else is CF I didnt want to stray from that. But the body shop didnt think gluing would be such a good idea to be able to service/remove them so they went with the black screws, dont know if thats aesthetically perfect but at least functional.
Not at all. It all adds to the very purposeful look.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:12 PM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

If you're lucky hand have the "right" top mounts you can achive enough camber but then hou have to cut the tie rods because they are to long. My factory RSR mounts wasn't enough. Rennline may work. The ABS sensors has to be changed.

The track width is only achived on a narrow body. The turbo is already there. How did you achive the turbo width on your car, spacers? The C2 doesn't have the wide holes for turbo width so you can't just move out the the longitudal beams for the control arms. That's why I had to get the 993 beams.

Thomas

Quick Reply: Snow Mouse - an oldie 964 to compete with 997 Cups - maybe?