Sponsored by:

Shock absorbers

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 01:03 PM
Polman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock absorbers

My 964 C4 from 1991 (Late version and with air bags) with 160.000 km on the Taco has tired shock absorbers and low H&R springs. A nice fellow Porsche owner "next door" has a almost new complete set from his 1990 C2with original springs. Since this is my daily driver, I will go for a more comfortable ride......
How much work is it....and can I convert them to fit on my 1991 ?...or must I find the later shock absorbers for > 1991
Old 07-22-2014, 02:08 PM
Polman
Pro

I have Done shock absorber change before, I mean by " much work" to make them fit My newer 964
Old 07-22-2014, 03:24 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am no expert on this... but at some point the rear shock towers changed on these cars.. early on... was it the 89-90 cars? Something to be aware of. If it's not a match I am not sure it's worth the effort... IMHO

Also, I am going to parrot what I've heard from Steve W. at Rennsport many times... mixing and matching components might not yield the results you want... stock springs with what shocks etc. You might want to confirm the combination is indeed a good setup.

Just my unsolicited 0.02 Krona
Old 07-22-2014, 04:01 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Polman
My 964 C4 from 1991 (Late version and with air bags) with 160.000 km on the Taco ...
I've had beef cheese and lettuce on a Taco before, but never a C4

Last edited by pcarplayer; 07-22-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:20 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

The rear suspension change happened in order to increase the room available for the cabriolet top assembly.

This is off the top of my head, so please someone else confirm, but I believe the rear shock/spring assembly got shorter in the later model cars. At some point, there was a spacer on the market that enabled you to run late model suspension on an early model car. Going the other way however, I don't think it would work. You'd either end up with a car that's riding very high in the rear or a car whose rear suspension has very limited bound/stroke travel. As I said, someone else, please confirm.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:00 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

^ Exactly.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:19 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Check out this thread. It may answer all your questions

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ar-shocks.html
Old 07-23-2014, 05:15 AM
Polman
Pro

- so there is only a problem at the rear.....front shock/spring will fit ?
Old 07-23-2014, 11:45 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Yes - front will fit without any issues -
Rears are another story if they are not the newer 91 set up - Now your 91 may have the older set up depending on manuf date - so you need to look at teh shock towers behind the engiine ( actually in front) -
There are adapters that are made by to fit the older shocks to the newer design - I think maybe Elephant Racing has - Not Sure - If you don't have any luck I have a set of rears I took off my 91 ( to sell ) at 32K - which are like new almost ( if interested)
To do the change over it is not as bad as you would think. The rears will bolt right on and need NO alignment - The fronts (because the camber adjustment is in the attachment bolts) will have to be realigned. If you need advice on how to drop shocks get back to me. It is very easy. Rear is jsut an unbolt and replace. Front is disconnect all brake lines from shock ( do not disconnect brake line fittings) and the brake wear warning wires . Disconnect sway bar fitting, break the two allen bolts loose on the bottom, ( make sure you tie the wheel up so it doesn't fall down ) break the top single shock nut loose and remove - then remove the bottom allen bolts. Work the shock out and remove. Note: You need to tie the wheel up so it doesn't drop down when you undo the top nut on the shock shaft. I use a ratchet tie down strap - put a nut back on a lug to hold hook in place and hook other end inside trunk area- use soft blanket to protect paint. This allows you to slowly lower the wheel to remove the shock and check brake line stress - Anyway that should get you started.

Quick Reply: Shock absorbers