Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

me and my 964: an intro

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

further down the rabbit hole we go. more issues surfaced. needs new heads. but some have already been sourced which is nice. more money spent, but apparently a low milaege newer set of heads, so the valves might be useable instead of buying new. i also wont have to have it machined for the updated pistons.
also decided to do a lightweight clutch and flywheel. im sure more goodies will find there way to this project before its done.
going to pick up the rolling tub tomorrow. degrease the whole thing, and then bring it to a friends shop to do the interior.

build costs are not so slowly approaching the purchase price. already rivaling my friends "restoration" of his f355
Old 11-21-2013, 09:18 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

That's funny, but the sad reality is that once your car is built, the spending ends and you just change the oil once in a while, maybe do something here or there, but once done it's a good reliable car...

Your buddy, on the other hand will bring the 355 up to snuff, and it'll run sometimes. Awesome when they do...but then, that said, his spending will never stop...which is unfortunate, cuz the 355 is such an awesome car to drive. But man they are painful.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:06 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

progress today

motor and trans were out, so i went by to degrease them and the tub. 40 degrees and raining today, miserable experience to say the least. my feet are still frozen solid.
also had a friend tow the tub to another friends shop to do the rs interior swap. might even be trading my stock seats for a roll bar as the guy who owns the shop has a ton of 911s and parts. car currently has some massive mb quart speakers up front, so im trying to either hide them behind the rs door cards or just take them out for the time being until i can get it to a proper stereo shop to see what can be done. i really dont want to cut out the speakers holes. the door panels look so damn good the way they are.

have to make a decision on powder coating colors for the tins and fan. not sure what i want to do there yet.
got in touch with compomotive. need basically a 50 set commitment to make the wheels i wanted in the sizes i wanted. so thats out of the question. damn.
also need to decide if i want to keep the fabspeed exhaust i have, or send it back and have them ship me their header back setup instead. im going back and forth on wether it will be too loud as a daily driver. not sure...
need to decide what i want to do for the back too. i think i want a ducktail as i love the look. all i know is i have to ditch the spoiler thats on it now. turns out whoever installed it screwed it into place. looks terrible.
i am happy to report that after power washing and degreasing the tub looks clean to me. no rust
Old 11-22-2013, 06:43 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Just about to double my purchase cost as well. Similar old car issues. It will be good for another 20 years when all finished.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:26 AM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

and further down the hole we go haha

motor and trans torn apart.

trans will receive new synchros ect. rs flywheel and clutch. also getting a golden rod and rothsport billet short shifter compliments of another member.

motor was in even worse shape. new (used) heads are in off a 94 with like 50k on it. very clean so ive been told. mine were a mess with the ceramic linings literally flaking off. as it turns out the intake manifold was off the car at some point and whoever reinstalled it, did bother to do it. it was essentially not even connected the vacuum leaks were so bad. the clamps were actually crimping the rubber coupler. new fan and housing are needed as they were all jacked up. the offending broken cyl 1 headstud had rust on it, meaning it was clearly broken long before the "PPI" i had. cams also show some wear, so a hotter set will be ordered up.
decided to go with the fabspeed rsr header/muffler setup too. should be a lot of fun and loud enough to wake the dead. hopefully it wont be too much as a psuedo daily diver ( i dont live far from work, downtown commute). tins go out for powdercoating tomorrow, and i think the new heads arrive. so progress... still hoping to have in back a month from now.

interior is stripped, and i might be trading a roll bar for my factory seats which is cool. with the rs door cards and carpet kit going in, im just taking out the speakers for now. i dont want to cut the door panels. ill just wait to have a stereo shop fit something shallow behind the cards so it looks clean. maybe even a 8" box or something hidden somewhere just to keep it interesting.. i dont know, just throwing around ideas. certainly dont need or what the complexity or weight of a big stereo. car will probably be too loud to matter much anyway.
Attached Images    
Old 11-27-2013, 02:10 AM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you ever say who did the ppi? seems like they need a public shaming, and you need a refund.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:08 AM
BHCfarkas
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in love with your Triumph!

Please, if you wouldn't mind, would you PM me some details about it?
Old 11-27-2013, 10:23 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by BHCfarkas
I'm in love with your Triumph!

Please, if you wouldn't mind, would you PM me some details about it?
Or even better, open a thread on http://www.triumphrat.net/forum.php with the details!!

I could not resist and I posted the photo on the forum. Beautiful bike man!
Old 11-27-2013, 10:27 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

You're doing the right thing by tackling all this on the front end.

I'm coming up on my third year of ownership, and while I haven't had the misfortune you've had regarding a broken car, I have proactively taken about 3 slippery slope deep dives over my course of ownership, each keeping my car on jack stands rather than on the road for months at a time (I is a slow DIYer).

In retrospect, it would have been better for me to have dropped the motor once and done everything at the same time. Oh well, I'm gonna be an expert at this **** if I ever get another 964.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys. The triumph build was a lot of fun and i learned a lot. Its my first bike. I actually got my license only a month before the build was over.it was built by Choppahead kustom cycles in beautiful New Bedford ma. Its a 68 bsa frame, and old bsa race tank, triumph 750 bored .060 with a. Few other goodies. Front end is '06 cbr600 and the swing arm off a 87 cb600. Custom rear monoshock by works performance in CA. Its has no gauges, no turn signals, and doesn't run a battery. I recently swapped to black grips and a left side bar end mirror after getting screamed at by a mass state trooper while riding. Paint is my own blend "mat white". A combo of lotus aspen white 3 stage, but the pearl was shot in the matte clear. Pin striping by Charlie the one armed bandit.it's been in a few mags, and on a ton of websites. Was at the barber vintage festival twice now.
I actually bought the. 964 knowing it would ultimately be a big build. The bike was a test so to speak.

Originally Posted by Vandit
You're doing the right thing by tackling all this on the front end. I'm coming up on my third year of ownership, and while I haven't had the misfortune you've had regarding a broken car, I have proactively taken about 3 slippery slope deep dives over my course of ownership, each keeping my car on jack stands rather than on the road for months at a time (I is a slow DIYer). In retrospect, it would have been better for me to have dropped the motor once and done everything at the same time. Oh well, I'm gonna be an expert at this **** if I ever get another 964.
I envy your DIY ability. I dont have the time, space or know how. But yea, do it once do it right isn't a bad mantra. Hope your projects get it back on the road faster each time
Old 12-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

ok, more progress!

rothsport billet short shifter should be here tomorrow.
orderd an appbizz soundpad to replace my ratty oem one.
also ordered a bunch of rennline parts. floor boards, pedals, fire extinguisher and mount.

talked to the bill at euro tech today. heads are at the machine shop. all parts are in and the bottom end is going back together. says i am on track to have the car back by the 20th which is truly amazing. a new little jewish christmas gift ( the car was a 29th bday present to myself haha)
interior work is moving along. $2.12 found under the seats, so the car is already paying me back.

already thinking about the next step.. suspension. figure i went all out on the motor/trans rebuild, might as well show the suspension some love come spring time. without really knowing yet what it entails, im thinking all new bushings, sway bars, and coilovers.

wheels are still my largest hangup. no idea what i want. im all over the place.
i also want to get the d-zug HID kit. thats a big to-do as i do a lot of night driving.
still need to decide on a 911 decklid or ducktail decklid. either way, i want the dzug renngrile. love the look.

in the meatime, finishing the interior is up next. gotta start talking to stereo shops, and a stitcher.

man i feel like i type a lot.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:42 PM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Progress sounds good.
I vote for a ducktail lid.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:57 PM
Smokey7766
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

please dont take this the wrong way.....and welcome they both look sweet!!!

but I GOTTA tell the old joke......do you know why brits drink warm beer?.....Lucas made refrigerators too!!!!
Old 12-04-2013, 01:04 AM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Smokey7766
please dont take this the wrong way.....and welcome they both look sweet!!! but I GOTTA tell the old joke......do you know why brits drink warm beer?.....Lucas made refrigerators too!!!!
Haha man I've heard them all. That's why I don't run a battery. Has as little electrical as possible.. Just a headlight and taillight. Funny thing is I have to ride a little before I can turn my lights on. Makes riding at night an interesting proposition.

I don't see it as a flaw, it's character
Old 12-04-2013, 04:26 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, Lucas didn't make Fridges, we drink warm beer, because its the best beer in the world.

But on hot days, a cold beer does go down a lot better.

Quick Reply: me and my 964: an intro