Sponsored by:

me and my 964: an intro

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 06:48 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
Next mystery, the title just arrived. Says "mileage exempt" needless to say I'm unamused.
I had the same thing happened to me, Minnesota does not record mileage for vehicles over a certain age and although I filled all the paperwork correctly, my title came back with a mileage exempt mention. It is an annoyance, but I have a copy of the title from the prior owner and also a copy of the paperwork I filled out., so I tend not to worry about it too much.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:00 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

alright. after 4.5 hours the car is finally on its way to eurotech. free tow, thanks for nothing AAA. anyway, i had some time to poke around. there is a sizeable puddle of fluid on the drivers side of the front firewall... master cylinder comes to mind. with the first of two tow trucks that i need to get the car out, i was able to crawl underneath, and thankfully the motor felt dry. will know more in the AM. my only day off this week, spent dealing with this. the joys of owning an older car. on the plus side, not only did my seats arrive today, but so did my black e-brake handle, shift ****/boot and center console. think im gonna have them all rewrapped in seude to match the center section of the seats, and do the top part of the door card ( not sure what to call it). now to chase down a bad ground on the bike. it doesnt run a battery, but im having stalling issues with the headlight on. apparently, the fun never stops haha.
Attached Images   
Old 11-13-2013, 09:49 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sucks about everything else, but that sensor isn't broken. Its more of a slip in and then twist to lock type thing. I had a similar question about it not too long ago.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...sor-loose.html

Look forward to seeing your build progress.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:16 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Ok so it needs a Clutch master and slave cylinders, and while he's there a new clutch line. Gonna bleed the brakes and a few other small issues.

Bigger issues are oil leaks. Might as well just reseal the whole top end sometime soon. So that sucks.

Serves me right for buying all kinds of parts before the car even arrived. Ha
Old 11-14-2013, 01:20 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Nah, the bigger issue is the brake and clutch hydraulics, you know, cause they left you stranded.

Oil leaks are just a nuisance unless the car is pissing oil, it will not be much drama, just watch the oil level and always carry an extra quart in the trunk.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Forgot to mention a fan belt sensor. Someone decided that instead of fixing it, they'd just tape it off to keep the dummy light from coming on.

Hopefully you're right about the oil leaks. But I'd rather do it and have piece of mind. Would be a shame to not maintain this car to the levels it deserves. Too many good cars are Bought cheap and maintained poorly.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

That type of belt sensor "fix" is not unheard of.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:23 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Vandit
That type of belt sensor "fix" is not unheard of.
Really? Seems like a terrible idea for something so important.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:30 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Yea, but it's a dinky little POS sensor. I guess people get fed up after replacing it a couple of times.

Someone on here had a DIY on rebuilding the sensor using a high quality ball bearing in order to improve its durability and longevity.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:02 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
Forgot to mention a fan belt sensor. Someone decided that instead of fixing it, they'd just tape it off to keep the dummy light from coming on.

Hopefully you're right about the oil leaks. But I'd rather do it and have piece of mind. Would be a shame to not maintain this car to the levels it deserves. Too many good cars are Bought cheap and maintained poorly.
Do you have two belts?
Old 11-14-2013, 05:21 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Truthfully I've owned it such a short amount of time that I'm not even sure. But i assume it has two. I've put 40 miles on it max since i got it. Hell i t honk its been on a flatbed longer than its been on the ground here
Old 11-20-2013, 12:20 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

been quiet the last few days as there has been a lot going on with my car.

well the slave cylinder was fixed propmtly, snow tires put on, and a test drive taken. what i thought was an exhaust leak ( to be solved by the fabspeed parts i have sitting here) turned out to be a broken headstud. well after a lot of back and forth between euro tech, vertex and myself, vertex has really stepped up to stand behind the sale and is paying a large majority of the cost of a full engine rebuild. obviously not the whole bill, as anything above and beyond is added value for me, but certainly a sizeable portion. im happy with the decision, and im looking forward to having a zero mile motor with a cleaned up transmission when its done.
plan is totally refreshed motor
crack up the trans and clean it up
while the car is down- pull the interior. install rs door cards and carpet kit thats sitting here. install momo wheel and recaro seats.

so in a few weeks time, my 112k mile 1990 964 will be totally refreshed with a new lease on life.
very excited to have bill at euro tech in framingham ma building the motor. ive heard great things about this shop for years. and im also very impressed with vertex for being such standup guys when they could have really screwed me on this one.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:43 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Subscribed. Glad to see that you are keeping an optimistic attitude through all this. Way to go!
Old 11-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Bill will take good care of you.
And kudos to Vertex for stepping up. Was a PPI done prior to the sale, or did you buy it on their word regarding its condition?
Old 11-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Ppi was " done" bit clearly they just rubber stamped it. Vertex stood behind it then, and is doing right by me now so im happy.

Quick Reply: me and my 964: an intro