Sponsored by:

fender wing removed for paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 01:17 PM
CBR786
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fender wing removed for paint

removed the front wing/fender today agter struggling with it all weekend. I left a nut on the wing which was the issue for me also I think I did not cutaway enough underseal. The front fender is held on by 10 bolts in the trunk and 3 bolts holding front bumper to the fender, Then you have 6 bolts along the inside of the wheel well by the front bulk head. also two allen key bolts in the gap at the top when you open the door and peer through gap you will see them along with tack weld.

Here are some pics luckily I had no spread of rust under the wings this was mainly due to the fact that the factory had put loads of under seal on which helped. Looking at my rust issues I could have easily left it for another 5 years or so as I only use car in dry and rarely wash it. I am toying with the idea of a full respray or just the bonnet and cowl area..

Last edited by CBR786; 01-23-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:26 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

It would have been a brave man who left that rust hole for another 5 years.....

Not the worst we have seen but fairly typical of a 964. I recommend that you bare metal the whole aperture but that would mean painting the top of the screen rail as well, so if you need to limit the extent of the paintwork you can just bare metal the bottom section and blend the new paint into the old along the length of the screen pillars. Good luck!
Old 02-04-2013, 01:34 PM
CBR786
Pro

I am planning on removing the other fender to cowl seal so the cowl area can have a neater paint job. However I do not plan on pulling the wing on the others side as I feel it is not necessary as I have read a few post on here and have noticed folks who do a full respray and still leave the front wings/fenders on. I have even seen people remove doors and sills and bumpers but never removed the wings?? maybe I can get away with just painting the front end complete along with the two doors and leave the rear half of the car. as the rear bumper was painted not too long ago and is still fresh.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:25 PM
jody stowitts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll be glad you didn't leave it another 5 yrs when your project is DONE !
Old 02-04-2013, 04:12 PM
CBR786
Pro

Gonna get body shop to cut out and put in this repair panel or do people think that is over kill just lead load the hole skim some filler and be done with it. The metal work around it looks solid.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:21 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

I would have thought just welding a small cutting a patch in would be the best/easiest/cheapest option

Obviously best overall would be to put the full repair panel in but it doesnt look like its necessary, to me anyway
Old 02-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Blown Away
Instructor

Go with the repair section and get it all properly painted and rust proofed. Make sure you put new rubber seals on too between the wing and scuttle. Just decide what you want out of it otherwise it could be "a slippery slope"

I went this route in my rebuild on both sides but you probably want to spray the scuttle and wings to blend in.

Take a look here....

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...b1wMZbgnjvr2Kw

Good luck

Rob.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:02 PM
CBR786
Pro

hi rob read your posts you look like you spent big bucks would be nice if you drop me a pm & let me know how much your paint job cost so I can budget at what I am looking at if I decide to go full respray way. I might just paint the scuttle and bonnet maybe front bumper as well, however my wings are mint I think it will be a shame to touch the factory paint.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:15 PM
CBR786
Pro

I am having a long hard think as to respray the whole car or just the scuttle bonnet front bumper and wings. I have got the stripping bug if I strip the aero mirrors and remove door handles the painter might as well paint both doors as well. Then I think drop rear bumper (which was freshly painted last year still shiny) and remove the hood and make painter paint the rear half the car as well. The issue I am having is I am stripping car myself and will be putting it together myself. How hard is it to remove door handles as I never done this and also the soft top ? Can I leave the soft top on and repaint or is this silly ? also how hard is it to remove the spoiler mechanism so the painter can paint the deck lid ? I guess search is my friend however I can not see a DIY for removing deck lid. I already removed the sills. so thinking might as well strip the rest of the car.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:07 PM
CBR786
Pro

been busy today cleaning metal felt I should show my pics of clean metal or am I trolling now lol?
I could make out weld marks are these factory I wonder on the scuttle panel where it meets the inner wing. also made my rust hole bigger by pulling at it with long nose pliers it was good to see the metal below is nice and solid. on a side note the bonnet seal is a pita to remove as it is glued down hard and comes apart in little bits.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Zingari
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Given the extent of work you're doing I'd be tempted to go the full respray route so there are no issues with paint match etc.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:16 PM
CBR786
Pro

can any one suggest some other jobs I can be doing while I have it all apart??? I know the obvious ones drained the washer bottle yucky stuff came out and also gonna be changing this resistor while it is exposed.
Also found some rust on the sill door shut which is strange as once I removed the sill covers it looked fine and I removed the rubber strip on the door shut as well to see if any rust present that looks okay as well. I guess I will tell the body shop to do something with it.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:02 AM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That`s coming along nicely, the rust on the sills definetly needs checking out in regards removing the door handles fairly straight forward if a bit awkward to get the inside retaining nut off (held on with 2 nuts and unplug the solenoid wiring). I also wondered about the rough looking welding at the scuttle which looks pretty much the same as yours, its heading in the direction of a full respray if you need to sort the sills out.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:18 PM
CBR786
Pro

UPdate not much happening just getting the car ready for paint and prep and also for the repair panel to be cut and welded in. The Body shop is charging me £750 for a full re paint I am stripping the car down and rebuilding. The shop is going to do the prep work and masking and paint.

Last edited by CBR786; 01-23-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:24 PM
CBR786
Pro

I am planning on leaving the passenger side wing/fender in place during paint and then try to insert the rubber cowl seal in the gap with some sort of lube. I am also contemplating if I should pull the bonnet and the deck engine lid and paint them off the car or on ? what are the advantages of having them painted off the car ? I know the disadvantages are more chance of scratches or damaging freshly painted panels when they are off the car especially when you try to re-fit and re align etc.

Quick Reply: fender wing removed for paint