Sponsored by:

Advice on how to R/R Door slot window seals

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 09:35 PM
cjansen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on how to R/R Door slot window seals

I am getting moisture on windows when I roll the windows down after washing the car. I am assuming that the door slot (window scraper?) seals are worn out. According to PET there is an inner and outer door slot seal. Does anyone know if both seals can be removed and replaced by prying off the exterior molding at the bottom of the window? Since the water is on the outside of the window I was thinking that I'll replace the outer seal first - I don't see how water would be getting down through the inside door slot seal

Any and all help is appreciated
Old 04-01-2006, 09:52 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Craig,

This past winter I replaced the window channel and rubber. The channel was severely rusted and it was because the outer felt seal was torn and leaking.

To replace the parts, I removed the power window motor, regulator, and window channel/rubber.

With those parts out, the window could be moved ALL the way down (as in - down inside the door). It was then very easy to pop the outer felt seal off and snap a new one in. All the other new parts were then installed.

I don't know if the outer seal can be replaced by just removing the exterior molding.

Marc
Attached Images  
Old 04-01-2006, 10:11 PM
cjansen
Advanced

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the tip and the picture. I was into the drivers door last year and everythink looked pretty clean so maybe I have caught it early enough. I found this helpful post which https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...window+scraper how you pry off the molding to replace the scraper seal.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Craig,

I looked at the posts/pictures in the thread you listed.

You must be referring to something other than what I was thinking of.

The window "scraper" is the rubber on the outside - this is not what I was referring to. The felt that I changed was snapped in using about 5 or 6 metal "poppers" and was down inside the door, below the window molding so I'm not sure that the other thread is talking about the same thing.

Marc
Old 04-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Craig,

I was thinking of #6, below.

"Sealing for door slot"

901 531 935 20 - left
901 531 936 20 - right

Sorry, I guess I was thinking of the wrong thing if you were referring to the window scraper, not the felt.

Marc
Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2006, 10:07 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Marc,
you sure your car wasnt submerged under salt water in New Orleans
Old 04-02-2006, 05:23 PM
cjansen
Advanced

Hey Marc,

Thanks for the clarification. I have the #7 part and it is a combination of felt on one side and a wiper on the other. When I get my car out of storage I'll have to pull off the molding to see how this works. I assume the felt goes against the window and the wiper keeps water from entering in the door slot.

Is #6 installed against the inside surface of the glass lower down inside the door cavity?
Old 04-02-2006, 11:06 PM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

item 2 in the diagram above from Pelican:

"This is the seals which removes water from the window when you roll it down. It is sometimes called the 'squeegee'."
part no. 911-531-931-02-M136 $6.50 (left side)

Should add for cabrio/targa that they list the following:

part no. 911-531-931-42-M136 (again left side part) (and it costs $2 more for some reason)
Old 04-03-2006, 12:36 AM
cjansen
Advanced

I have ordered seal #2 and #5 which appear to slide in under the black molding. We'll see if that fixes the problem before replacing #6 and #7 which as Marc indicates are lower in the door (not sure of their purpose yet). Thanks for the helpif I find anything interesting I'll post pics.

Quick Reply: Advice on how to R/R Door slot window seals