Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How realistic to change to Audi 01E gearbox?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 03:15 PM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by superman22x
For those still interested... I have completed my 01E swap. I am planning to make a coupler for a member over on the pelican parts forum soon. It is not a particularly difficult swap if you have a mill and lathe in the garage. The coupler is the only part that really requires those though. A decent fabricator couple make their own shifter mechanism, and mounts. The driver side axle is about 3/4" shorter as well. Most aftermarket axles have a long splined section that can be shortened by anyone with a lathe.
I'll try and return in a week or two and make a post with all my details. I have an LS3 in my car, so the gear ratios of the 01E were a nice change.

This is my coupler before it was totally complete. I press fit and pinned the cut 944 coupler inside the machined piece using 3 dowel pins. I did this rather than welding so the heat treat of the coupler is not impacted, and no warpage/cracking issues using the higher carbon steals. Using the double shear of the pins, it calculates to 2400 ft-lbs, so plenty of safety factor in it. The 01E end is just a clutch center, with a machined pocket on the intermediate piece. Concentricity should be more than adequate.

One more note, for those that don't need the torque capacity of the 01E, the 01X is another option that is nearly identical, and plenty strong for a 944 I think.

Whats the price for a coupler? For the 01e box.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:23 PM
superman22x
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ealoken
Whats the price for a coupler? For the 01e box.
I would do it for $250. That will not include the clutch disc or the 944 coupling however, you would have to send those to me, or I can purchase them separately. The clutch disc I bought was around $60.
I know it might seem a bit steep, but keep in mind it requires multiple processes on the lathe and mill to complete.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:19 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

So long since I was in the game but this should allow you to run the 'poor man's' sequential gearbox thing.
Would like to see someone try. http://www.sqsracing.com/aktuality/2...og-box-sequent
Old 02-07-2020, 11:20 PM
Atjeninga
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01E gearbox adapter

Originally Posted by catamax944
I wanted to do this a while back and started the project but never finished it.
I did have the coupler designed though by a good friend who is a engineer.
We have done all the test pieces to ensure precise fit and its ready to be produced.
We got a few quotes from some companies capable to produce the coupler but the cheapest was still pretty expensive at around 400 euros.
If any of you knows someone that can produce it at a reasonable price i am more than happy to share the CAD files.
Also i have an idea who might be able to help with the gear selector.
does anybody have a cad model of the adapter for the 01E input shaft to the 944 torque tube?

Quick Reply: How realistic to change to Audi 01E gearbox?