Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

First Porsche I've Owned 1987 944 Base. Clutch Pops at the Engagement Point.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 02:14 AM
johnshoemaker17
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Porsche I've Owned 1987 944 Base. Clutch Pops at the Engagement Point.

This is my first car and the first car that I learned to drive stick on. Is it normal for these cars to have a clutch that pops at the engagement point?
Old 05-24-2015, 01:17 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What does, "pops at the engagement point", mean?

It would probably help if you were a little more descriptive. And what are your hands and feet doing when this occurs?
Old 05-24-2015, 03:09 AM
johnshoemaker17
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The clutch pulls very hard when it catches.

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
What does, "pops at the engagement point", mean?

It would probably help if you were a little more descriptive. And what are your hands and feet doing when this occurs?
The clutch as I let my foot off will pull very fast and strong towards the release. My one hand is on the wheel and the other is on the stick.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:36 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnshoemaker17
The clutch as I let my foot off will pull very fast and strong towards the release. My one hand is on the wheel and the other is on the stick.
Might just have a turbo clutch.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:24 PM
944hal
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your description is still not very clear. Depending on the Pressure Plate installed, the clutch will be easier or harder to depress. When releasing, does the clutch engage quickly while the pedal is near the floor, or engage only when the pedal is almost all the way back up? Also, when you say "pop" are you describing a noise or something else.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:01 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by johnshoemaker17
This is my first car and the first car that I learned to drive stick on.
I'll play again.

Your first car? How long have you had it? Has the clutch pedal always behaved this way? Where are you located?

So, I'll say this...I would've found an old Subaru, Honda, or Toyota to learn how to operate a manual transmission. The 944 is probably one the most expensive regular, non-exotic [Ferrari, Lamborghini], cars to replace the clutch when its worn out, or damaged. Parts are ~$600 [disc, plate, bearing] and the repair manual says 12-14 hours of labor. If you go to a shop [lack of tools, lack of knowledge, lack of time], figure on paying at least $100/hr. You do the math.

As far as your "popping" clutch goes, easiest thing would be for you to find a local enthusiast to look at/drive your car.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:58 AM
968 GUY
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The clutch pedals have an "over center" type of adjustment along with a booster spring. If the adjustment is not correct, or the booster spring is broken, that could be your problem.
Real pain in the *** to adjust. It was easier for me to take my seat out.
But I was replacing complete clutch pedal assy.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:22 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

there is a spring attached to the pedal that gives some assist to your foot when pushing the clutch.
it is adjustable if you want more or less pedal assist.
my clutch pedal would sort of pop and it turned out the assist spring had worked itself loose from its mounting point, check under the dash.

Quick Reply: First Porsche I've Owned 1987 944 Base. Clutch Pops at the Engagement Point.