Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

What have you done to your 944 S2 Cabriolet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 04:15 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by culture
not looking fwd to my list of maintenance this season, but i'll just chip away at it till its all done. worst item is either the oil pan gasket or doing the belts job.
I feel for you on the oil pan gasket. Lots to take apart and put back together and following the torque sequence on those 22 bolts 3 times is a major back breaker if you are doing it on jack stands.

Mark
Old 05-06-2015, 02:41 PM
culture
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

any tips/tricks necessary to keep from pinching the gasket? prob put in new motor mounts "while I'm in there"
Old 05-06-2015, 03:38 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

any tips/tricks necessary to keep from pinching the gasket? prob put in new motor mounts "while I'm in there"
I used duct tape to hold on about 8 of the bolts and the gasket so that as I raised the pan into place the gasket stayed put. I first tried with dental floss but it didn't work for me.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:05 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I spent some time beating on it with a 4 pound hammer.

Rolling and stretching the fenders resulted in a slight flare to the drivers side fender. Less clearance was needed on the passenger side so less rolling and stretching was done there. I decided it looked unbalanced so I did some work to give the passenger side the same amount of flare as the drivers side.

It needed a repaint when I bought it, now it really needs one.

My neighbors think I am insane.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:47 AM
culture
Rennlist Member

^^^without pics, it didn't happen
Old 05-29-2015, 06:33 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

^^^without pics, it didn't happen
I'll try to get pics tomorrow. I was busy today building my DIYPNP Megasquirt kit. the main board is biult and the firmware is loaded. Now I have to build the wiring harness and connect everything together.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:09 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Still haven't gotten out there with the camera. I did get out there with a power washer and managed to spray a lot of crap off the underside of the car. Most of it splashed back in my face.
Power washed the AOR transmission as well. Tomorrow, I'll install the only944.com shift linkage arm, Short shifter, and shift lever. Then the transmission get's installed.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:48 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

I did some more power washing and installed a 044 fuel pump. AOR transmission goes in tomorrow.

I received a set of clear lenses for the rear side markers. I need to glue them to the housings from my original side markers. Any recommendations on a strong glue that won't turn yellow over time?
Old 06-06-2015, 06:26 PM
Dimi 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by azbanks
I did some more power washing and installed a 044 fuel pump. AOR transmission goes in tomorrow. ..
What are you plans for stock AOS transmission?
Old 06-07-2015, 06:44 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dimi 944
What are you plans for stock AOS transmission?
It was an AOT and I sold it a couple months ago. It went to Florida for a rebuild and then took a flight to the middle east to go racing.

Started fitting my GT racing rear bumper to the car(the stories about gt racing fiberglass parts needing a bunch of work to fit right at TRUE!) and installed the sub belts for the rear seat harnesses.
Attached Images          

Last edited by azbanks; 06-07-2015 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:20 AM
culture
Rennlist Member

are you going with the black bumper strip? and i could be wrong but it looks like you have the smallest exhaust tip i've ever seen. might want something a little bigger. auto zone sells some…+10hp.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:32 AM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Whats up with the rear seat harness. You planning on hitting the track with some kids in the back?

Hey that rhymes

Mark
Old 06-08-2015, 03:15 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

are you going with the black bumper strip? and i could be wrong but it looks like you have the smallest exhaust tip i've ever seen. might want something a little bigger. auto zone sells some…+10hp.
I'm going to leave the bumper white for now. I might do something like the black strip later.

I pulled the exhaust behind the cat when I pulled the transmission. The open exhaust makes great power. OTOH, the missing transmission makes it hard to get good acceleration numbers. NO ->
I need one more part and I can install the AOR transmission and the exhaust will go back in place. I picked up some stage 8 locking CV bolts.

Originally Posted by mhr
Whats up with the rear seat harness. You planning on hitting the track with some kids in the back?

Hey that rhymes

Mark
You are poet and didn't know it.

I have a beautiful wife and three boys(8, 10, and 13). If we are all going somewhere together we take our other vehicle(the dreaded minivan).
If my wife and I go out, we take the Cab.
If I take just one or more of the boys somewhere, we take the Cab. The oldest sits in front and the younger two sit in back. I was not satisfied that the rear lap belts would hold them securely if something happened. I only mounted the outer shoulder belt for each seat but that combined with the lap and sub belts should hold them in place in the event of a collision.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:53 PM
EliteThink
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by azbanks

I have a beautiful wife and three boys(8, 10, and 13). If we are all going somewhere together we take our other vehicle(the dreaded minivan).
If I take just one or more of the boys somewhere, we take the Cab. The oldest sits in front and the younger two sit in back. I was not satisfied that the rear lap belts would hold them securely if something happened. I only mounted the outer shoulder belt for each seat but that combined with the lap and sub belts should hold them in place in the event of a collision.
lol i'm in the same boat. But, kids are getting more and more cramped, so eventually they won't fit back there. Time to make the cab a 3rd car, and pick up an impressive sedan to go with the suv...
Old 06-08-2015, 04:11 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

If I take just one or more of the boys somewhere, we take the Cab. The oldest sits in front and the younger two sit in back. I was not satisfied that the rear lap belts would hold them securely if something happened. I only mounted the outer shoulder belt for each seat but that combined with the lap and sub belts should hold them in place in the event of a collision..
My kids are 12, 15, 17 and only my 15 year old daughter will tolerate sitting in the back. I agree with you on the lap belts, our policy was no highway trips with somone in the back. At this point I am considering a rear seat delete and a roll bar

Quick Reply: What have you done to your 944 S2 Cabriolet?