Notices

15 minute instrument pod removal update and instrument light bulbs for an OK price

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 05:08 PM
Schocki
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

your welcome
Old 04-21-2013, 09:19 PM
Bill Ball
Under the Lift
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I should update and give Schocki's quick pod removal guide my official shortcut stamp of approval. Since my first failed attempt at doing this back in 2011, I have managed to figure it out. So, the steering wheel (and the tranny) can stay in place. It takes a bit of patience and finesse to get the pod to clear the ignition switch, but I have managed to get it all done under 15 minutes like Schocki said.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:39 PM
Speedtoys
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 623 Posts

What were you fixing?
Old 04-22-2013, 03:13 PM
Bill Ball
Under the Lift
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedtoys
What were you fixing?
Other people's cars. In one case, the ignition switch and light switch (pod was pulled up out of the way, but not completely removed). In another case I was replacing the odometer gear.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:55 PM
planeshift1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fantastic Post! And Now I need help...

Well as a down right amateur fiddler I found this post fantastic! All went great till re-assembly. Here's my symptoms on the 88 A/T: all lights for auto indicator work fine. signal left signal right work fine. Tach is erratic, oil gauge is erratic. Speedo is dead...gas gauge dead... light switch, hazards all ***** function but do not light up clearly I goofed and something is loose? Went through it once again but maybe I missed something? Any advice?
btw these were all things that DID work prior to dis/re assembly. Many Many thanks!
Old 05-11-2013, 10:27 PM
Harvey928
Burning Brakes

Received 284 Likes on 155 Posts

Check your connections of the plugs behind the cluster. I think one of them maybe not seated all the way.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:31 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

In this pic there are 4 beige coloured holders (circled) located above 4 yellow bulb holders.

What do the beige lights illuminate?

I have a burned out light behind the right side red computer digital display. I'm guessing that would be one of the yellow holders with a light bulb with the red cap?

Rog - do you carry these bulbs? How much are they?

Thanks.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Ed Scherer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy V

In this pic there are 4 beige coloured holders (circled) located above 4 yellow bulb holders.

What do the beige lights illuminate?

I have a burned out light behind the right side red computer digital display. I'm guessing that would be one of the yellow holders with a light bulb with the red cap?

Rog - do you carry these bulbs? How much are they?

Thanks.
There are two rows of four bulbs related to the "information display": the upper row is what provides the more common amber backlighting, and the lower row is what provides the infrequently-used red backlighting.

The other side of the PCB looks like this:

(large version)

You can see where the two rows of bulbs mate with the back of the information display:

(large version)

If you're going to replace bulb(s) anyway, you might want to consider upgrading to LEDs (see "Converting Porsche 928 Interior Lighting to LEDs", which is also useful for just learning more about the '89+ instrument cluster).

Quick Reply: 15 minute instrument pod removal update and instrument light bulbs for an OK price