Buying '84 Euro 5speed - Page 2 - Rennlist Discussion Forums



Buying '84 Euro 5speed

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-15-2017, 12:19 AM   #16
jbrob007
User
 
jbrob007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,226
Default

It's had some body work done (hence, the flared fenders) and may have had the USA federalized side markers "shaved"... Notice none of the "USA" side markers are on the car. I have the Automatic version of your car... Wanted the manual tranny, but Euro's aren't that available so I went with the Auto - never looked back. Lots of power with either tranny. I've had all the extras "shaved" and once you alter it from stock it's tough to go back. Having said that, I LOVE the GTS look flared fenders and think this could be a very desirable car after you've given it some TLC. She's been neglected in that regard, but sounds like your up to the challenge. Good luck!!


jbrob007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:06 PM   #17
84dizzy
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrob007 View Post
It's had some body work done (hence, the flared fenders) and may have had the USA federalized side markers "shaved"... Notice none of the "USA" side markers are on the car. I have the Automatic version of your car... Wanted the manual tranny, but Euro's aren't that available so I went with the Auto - never looked back. Lots of power with either tranny. I've had all the extras "shaved" and once you alter it from stock it's tough to go back. Having said that, I LOVE the GTS look flared fenders and think this could be a very desirable car after you've given it some TLC. She's been neglected in that regard, but sounds like your up to the challenge. Good luck!!
Wow! Love how clean yours looks. I'm definitely planning on removing the rub strips. My thought is that the passenger front fender was replaced in '94 with a US fender after sliding off the road. I'll have to take a look at it closer on Friday. I love the flared back fenders. I was planning on doing it myself, now I don't have to.

Thank you! Can't wait to leave!
84dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:11 PM   #18
84dizzy
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 15
Default



Just picked up both window relays at 20th Street Auto in Phoenix. 10 minute drive from my place. Hope to catch some fresh Colorado air on the way back! I leave tomorrow at 4pm
84dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:37 AM   #19
VanD
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
VanD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 872
Default

Good luck! Love a 928 road trip adventure !
VanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:42 PM   #20
84dizzy
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 15
Default

Hey guys, want to give you an update. We got up to Denver after a 12 hour drive and went immediately to see the car. Not to my surprise, the car was in rough shape. The owner was very dishonest about to overall condition of the car and it upset me. Immediately I took the car for a drive and found that both 1st and 2nd gear grind but are useable. 4th gear feels iffy too but no grinding. The car also was leaking power steering fluid at a rapid rate. Both doors do not lock from the outside and the paint was in worse shape then pictured. The owner didn't mention any of this but I wasn't expecting a perfect car. I expressed my discomfort with the condition and he dropped the price quite a bit. I ended up buying the car but decided on shipping it back. Here she is


You can't tell from the pictures, but the paint is rough especially on the rub stips. The car has had the left front fender replaced and there are some alignment issues with the hood. I drove 40 minutes to Denver and left the car in a parking garage until it can be shipped. The passenger front tire stem only allowed for 25psi so driving it 12 hours wasn't a possibility. I'm happier shipping it anyway.

The car came with a folder packed full of receipts and records with a gap in records from about 2000 to 2013. The previous owner had the water pump and belt done within the last 300 miles so that was a sigh of relief. Overall, the car needs a lot of work. I feel it's my duty to save this rare car from ultimately becoming a parts car. I do all my own work so I feel this is possible. New power steering lines and a fresh box and this would be a strong driver. Im currently looking for a company to ship the car. I've heard good things about Intercity and am getting a quote from them.

If any of you are in the Phoenix area I would love to meet up when I get the car back down here. I'm going to be looking for the support of the tremendous 928 community on this one!
84dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:02 PM   #21
hlee96
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
hlee96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chadds Ford, PA
Posts: 1,261
Default

Too bad the car is not as nice as advertised, but you can't go wrong with a drivable '84 euro twin dizzy manual with an already low asking price. I know what he asked for, and now with an even bigger discount, I would consider this a score!

By the way, those wheels are easily 25% of the cost of the car.

Good luck!
Hoi
hlee96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:37 AM   #22
84dizzy
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlee96 View Post
Too bad the car is not as nice as advertised, but you can't go wrong with a drivable '84 euro twin dizzy manual with an already low asking price. I know what he asked for, and now with an even bigger discount, I would consider this a score!

By the way, those wheels are easily 25% of the cost of the car.
I do like the wheels better in person as well. The car has a decent folder of service history. I'm hoping to find a 85-86 5 sp trans and throw it in.
84dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:53 AM   #23
hlee96
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
hlee96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chadds Ford, PA
Posts: 1,261
Default

How did you open the sunroof? Did the relay or fuse do the trick?
hlee96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:46 PM   #24
2002M3Drew
User
 
2002M3Drew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bernardsville, NJ
Posts: 1,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlee96 View Post
Too bad the car is not as nice as advertised, but you can't go wrong with a drivable '84 euro twin dizzy manual with an already low asking price. I know what he asked for, and now with an even bigger discount, I would consider this a score!

By the way, those wheels are easily 25% of the cost of the car.

Good luck!
Hoi
Turbo twists are worth money? Which ones...996TT or 993TT ones? I have a set on my 964 Track car...may need to sell those!
2002M3Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:00 PM   #25
VanD
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
VanD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 872
Default

Still very cool, get it sorted - and you have a great unique driver on your hands. I love the wheels from the 996 turbo - hollow spoke as well, usually don't fit 'right' in the rear but with the flares they fill it out perfect. If 928 Int. Doesn't have a euro front wing/fender I have one, just might be PIA to ship. PM me if interested. Send the trans to Greg Brown and get it done right the first time. Even though it's a bit beat up I'm still jealous. Will be a very cool Euro 'Hotrod' when done.
VanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:02 PM   #26
Rich9928p
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
Rich9928p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: AZ
Posts: 2,615
Default

Hello Dizzy,

There are a bunch of 928 Porsche owners in the Phoenix area ... several own Euro models (road and track) and much 928 experience here. Drop me a line at info@electronikrepair_dot_com and I'll introduce you to the group.

Rich
928 Owners Club Charter Member & Membership Chairman
1993 928 GTS Cover Girl
1987 928 S4
1979 928 5-speed - also a Cover Girl
1979 928 track beast
Rich9928p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:22 PM   #27
jbrob007
User
 
jbrob007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,226
Default

Excellent! Good that he discounted the price again when confronted with the "lack of description". That's nothing new... unfortunately. It doesn't matter tooooo much if the rub strips and paint is a little rough since you planned to remove them and body work, sand, prime & paint is already in the cards. I concur with the above sentiments - it may cost more, but Greg Brown is the man to do the tranny work. A used 85 or 86 manual tranny may exhibit the same grinding (especially downshifting to 2nd) and you'd be right back where you are today. Please keep posting your progression & pics... love the Euros !!!

Joel
jbrob007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:54 PM   #28
84dizzy
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlee96 View Post
How did you open the sunroof? Did the relay or fuse do the trick?


The sunroof luckily opened all by itself! Albeit slow. I'm sure a good track cleaning/motor cleaning will help. Windows still inop but I haven't tried the new relays I bought
84dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:01 PM   #29
84dizzy
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9928p View Post
Hello Dizzy,

There are a bunch of 928 Porsche owners in the Phoenix area ... several own Euro models (road and track) and much 928 experience here. Drop me a line at info@electronikrepair_dot_com and I'll introduce you to the group.


Good to hear and thank you! I'll be sure to send you a message.
84dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:05 PM   #30
84dizzy
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrob007 View Post
Excellent! Good that he discounted the price again when confronted with the "lack of description". That's nothing new... unfortunately. It doesn't matter tooooo much if the rub strips and paint is a little rough since you planned to remove them and body work, sand, prime & paint is already in the cards. I concur with the above sentiments - it may cost more, but Greg Brown is the man to do the tranny work. A used 85 or 86 manual tranny may exhibit the same grinding (especially downshifting to 2nd) and you'd be right back where you are today. Please keep posting your progression & pics... love the Euros !!!

Joel


I'll be sure to talk with Greg when that time comes. That might be a few months down the road unfortunately. I'll be sure to keep you updated! I washed it and gave the interior a good cleaning and it shows some promise
84dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
79 Petrol Blue w/Cork Pasha olmann 928 Forum 30 03-24-2017 10:24 PM
RajDatta's 1994 Porsche 968 Coupe Restoration Journal RajDatta 968 Forum 40 03-20-2017 11:15 AM
Money2536's Sapphire Blue 991 GT3 Journal Money2536 991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R 937 03-20-2017 02:43 AM
09 C2 Purchase Road Trip tuxkilla 997 Forum 16 08-14-2016 10:19 PM
Euro car purchase & road trip Rub 997 GT2/GT3 Forum 12 09-20-2015 05:22 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -3. The time now is 05:09 AM.


Copyright © 1998 - 2015 Rennlist.com
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
What's your question?
Send