Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

1999 996 IMS Bearing Question: to DIY or not to DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 03:19 PM
syoo8
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1999 996 IMS Bearing Question: to DIY or not to DIY?

Hi everyone,

I'm a 928 guy and a frequent poster on the 928 side of Rennlist... but I do also have a '99 996. It is in beautiful condition, 39K miles, and the interior is pristine. My father gave it to my wife and I as a wedding present (he was the original owner.) He hardly drove it... when I told him that our cars need to be driven frequently, he just gave it to us.

I haven't done much on the 996 but bleed the brakes and change the oil. I have some experience on the 928, doing electrical things up through changing the timing belt, rebuilding the oil pump and tensioner, and doing a complete top-end refresh of the intake, throttle body, etc. I documented these procedures in the link at the bottom of my signature.

My father's other car, a Boxster (1998) just had IMS failure. This made me begin to worry about the 996.

The wrinkle in the story is that my dad passed away a year ago yesterday, so I feel extra careful about the 996. There is a lot of sentimental value in this car.

Given my non-professional but somewhat experienced aptitude in wrenching, would you recommend that I change the IMS bearing myself, or should I bring it to an experienced person? I live in Missouri.

Sorry for writing this short novella... I really could use some advice here.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by syoo8; 05-03-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:26 PM
syoo8
Burning Brakes

Default Apologies for an off-topic question: question for 928 owners who also own 996

Hi everyone,

This is a question for those of you who wrench both 996 and 928s. I apologize for this being somewhat off-topic.

Two years ago my father gave my wife and I a 996 as an engagement/wedding present (he was the original owner.) He hardly drove it... when I told him that our cars need to be driven frequently, he just gave it to us.

I haven't done much on the 996 but bleed the brakes and change the oil. I have some experience on the 928, doing electrical things up through changing the timing belt, rebuilding the oil pump/tensioner/clutch slave, and doing a top-end refresh of the intake, throttle body, etc. I did these procedures successfully, with the help of the many kind Rennlisters whose knowledge far surpasses my own.

So, my father's other car, a Boxster (1998) just had IMS failure. I feel the need to do the IMS on the 996 before something bad happens.

The wrinkle in the story is that my dad passed away a year ago yesterday, so I feel extra careful about the 996. There is a lot of sentimental value in this car. Plus, he bought it new, whereas I paid a total of $14K for both of my 928s.

Given my non-professional- but higher than beginner- aptitude in wrenching, would you recommend that I change the IMS bearing myself, or should I bring it to an experienced person? I live in Missouri.

Thank you all in advance for your input.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:42 PM
Dave H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can do it yourself. you need a couple special tools and be able to get the engine or trans out.

it will go quicker and easier if you have a shop do it.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:44 PM
jetson8859
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 98 Posts

Syoo8,

There are several of us who own both. Couple questions regarding the 996.
What year?
6 speed or tiptronic?
How many miles?
how many miles nd what yr is Boxster when the IMS failed?
Where in MO?

One of the issues with replacing the IMS is that you need some specialized tools to do the repair. Typically when folks do the IMS they do the RMS and possibly clutch (depending on miles) as they are all right there when things are apart.

Not all 996s were created equally, for example my 99 has the original Porsche IMS but it's dual row so they were much less prone to failure. My RMS is starting to weep so will probably take care of those this fall and with 82K miles will probably do clutch as well.

KCAttorney on here has had both (just sold his 996) but can probably provide names of good indie shops in KC area of your closer that that side of the state.

Good luck!
Old 05-03-2015, 03:46 PM
syoo8
Burning Brakes

- 6 speed
- 42,000 miles

The Boxster was 1998, with I think over 100K miles.

I live in Columbia, halfway between KC and St. Louis. I know Jeff (KCAttorney- what a nice guy!) and will ask him.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:57 PM
jetson8859
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by syoo8
- 6 speed
- 42,000 miles

The Boxster was 1998, with I think over 100K miles.

I live in Columbia, halfway between KC and St. Louis. I know Jeff (KCAttorney- what a nice guy!) and will ask him.
Columbia a great place! From what I can gather the 99s are much less suseptible to IMS failure and it typically happened within 1st 30k miles. (one of the reasons I looked for a 99) but there are others on here that have much more knowledge than I. I'm originally from north of KC so next time I'm back am going to swing by the museum and introduce myself to Jeff. Again, good luck, I will be following the thread.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:17 PM
Vilhuer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

There is no safe 996. Every one of them will eventually need IMS and possibly RMS. It's just question of needing IMS at 50k, 100k or 150k. Waiting one mile too long will basically kill the engine. Clutch, IMS and RMS at same time every 50-75k isn't that bad job.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:35 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Disclaimer: I don't own a 996 but have been investigating them for months.

Now, I know your level of work product and I think there is no question you can do the IMS if you aren't time constrained(I presume). I've seen the trans out, and looked at the job from several angles and there's nothing in the job that is particularly complex, just a lot of wrenching on stuff. You will almost surely need access to a 4 post or 2 post lift, unless you want to do all the work on your back, not recommended.

You'll need to rent or borrow the IMS bearing tools, which are becoming more widely available. You'll also want some special cam chain alignment/locking tools avail.

While you are in there jobs: Air Oil separator; Rear main seal; Clutch plate; axle gaiters; Alt Y cable.

The folks on the 996 board are much, much less DIY friendly than this board. If you post about this over there I assure you it will be pages of doom and gloom, and advice to take it to the most expensive indy Porsche shop in north Amer. They mostly do NOT work on their cars over there, which is a shame. For the few that do work on their cars, they do NOT post DIY steps. I believe there is a DIY guide on Pelican that I read which is fairly good.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...MS_Bearing.htm
Old 05-03-2015, 04:50 PM
dr bob
Chronic Tool Dropper
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 546 Likes on 409 Posts

Guidance on IMS failures shows up regularly. My new local PCAregion (Oregon) website has a section devoted to it. It mostly outlines the potential for failures in the various iterations of the engines, and how repairable each one is. There are penty of online references to the problems, some with solutions of various flavor. If you are OK with the tools, can follow instructions, and have the time, DIY is reasonable. Your Boxster engine might be rebuildable, depending on how much debris circulated with the oil and whether there is cylinder and head damage from valve interference. On the 996, you can carefully monitor oil and filter condition, magnetic drain plug debris, etc, for signs of the bearing coming apart. That's not my style generally, as I'd rather pick a convenient time and location for a repair effort rather than have the location, timing and magnitude of expense chosen for me. If you decide to not do it immediately, remember to change the oil frequently and monitor what comes out and what's captured in the filter. You want to catch the first (and only) bearing fragment before the oil system needs a full flush with block cleaning. I'm never that lucky.

---

Neighbor in our new neighborhood has a 2001 996, and is in denial for the most part about IMS failure potential. He says, correctly, that many cars don't seem to have these failures. "Yet" I remind him. I offered to help him over the winter with a watch-and-learn-together program, but it didn't happen. I saw his car out today for the first time this spring, just a wave as he drove away. Big red bulls-eye on the engine lid.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:13 PM
ducbil
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pelican Parts used to have a very good tutorial for the IMS replacement. My '99 Boxster died of other causes two years ago, but I was preparing to do it myself at the time of it's death. I had picked up a used LN replacement tool set that I can loan you.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:27 PM
mdkelly1
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 54 Posts

You can do it (given your experience on the 928), as other 928 & 996 owners have done it.

Read long-time 928 owner Shark Attack's approach in "I'm going in alone" at the link and you will see that it is not that difficult: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...t-bearing.html
Old 05-03-2015, 06:30 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Scott - Knowing what you have done to your 928, I know that you possess the ability to DIY. But, having said that, I would recommend that you take it to Doc at Rennsport KC to let him do it. AND, having said that, and given that it is a '99, I would wait til you think it needs a clutch (or is close to needing it) and do them both at the same time.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:33 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Oh, and I don't remember your mentioning the 996 before. My memory going bad?
I was in CoMo over the weekend for a fraternity weekend - I should have called you to grab a beer.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:24 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 140 Posts

The question really is: Do you have access to a lift, a transmission jack, and all the special tools required? After speaking with somebody who has done it himself yesterday, with all the right tools (he did it on his back), I would say it's easy for a DIY mechanic who knows what he is doing.

If you have to buy all the tools, there really isn't much savings over having somebody do it for you.

At this point, when it's time, I will do mine.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:38 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,260 Posts

Also, spend some quality time on the 986 forum. Even though it is Boxster centrick, it is still the M96 engine. Lots of help and discussion there.
By the way, the only time to do the IMS fix is before you have symptoms of bearing failure. Once you have metal and/or plastic in the oil, it is too late. So if the car is clean, do it or otherwise get it done.

Quick Reply: 1999 996 IMS Bearing Question: to DIY or not to DIY?