Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque tube shaft too close to trans - need adjustment ideas

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 09:57 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Torque tube shaft too close to trans - need adjustment ideas

I was installing the coupler sleeve the other day and noticed that the torque tube shaft was butted up against the trans input shaft, no space between them at all. I remember the last time I installed it, there was a couple millimeters. Because it is too close the bolts which clamp down the couple sleeve do not align in the grooves on the shafts. The sleeve moves over so it's aligned at least.

Bolts I'm referring to:

What are my options for moving the shaft back into the clutch center besides removing the trans and sliding back the torque tube? Just finished putting that all back together.

Speaking of that, here's how it probably got pushed back. I was installing the torque tube and engaged the splines into the clutch center and began to push it in. Although I used a clutch alignment tool and put a little moly grease on the splines, it wasn't wanting to push in completely (although the splines were engaged). It was close enough that the 4x bolts that hold the TT to the bellhousing would start, so I threaded them a little at a time, alternating until it slowly drew the TT in. The clutch works (I had a friend operate the clutch while I spun the TT shaft from the rear) but it's apparent the TT shaft isn't forward all the way.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:56 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine did that on one of my clutch swaps. So, I put a bock of wood on the end of the shaft and hit it with a heavy hammer until it was in the right amount. The trans axle had to be dropped to do this, of course. Maybe not the best way, but it worked.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:43 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

That sounds like the right idea. I'll be doing that if I can't get it with the trans still on. At this point my driveline has a revolving door attached, so if I need to take it apart whatever, it's just a mild annoyance at this point.

Current idea #1: Slide the coupler sleeve onto the TT shaft, and install the bolt that clamps the sleeve to the torque tube shaft and use a pry bar to move the entire assembly closer to the bellhousing (the coupler serves as an application point). Only concern is that the fulcrum for the pry bar will be the torque tube "bellhousing" which I don't trust (reason I had to replace TT last year - it cracked).

Current idea #2: partially undo the 4 bolts holding the trans onto the torque tube so there is a gap between the two shafts. Then insert a spacer of some sort and tighten the bolts, which should force the TT shaft forward. This seems good in theory but we'll see. I tried using a flathead to pry back the shaft but there is ZERO space.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:20 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I used a a gear puller.. had to get a bit creative to hold it on.

Name:  IMG_7550.jpg
Views: 1280
Size:  68.2 KB
Old 07-28-2015, 01:46 AM
pdxfj
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the gear puller idea since you can gently press the drive line in further. I would be worried about damaging the pilot bearing using anything to hammer on it with. Last thing you want to do is take everything apart because of a damaged bearing.

Just my 2c thought..
Old 07-28-2015, 05:04 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I wouldn't hammer it, could very easily mess up the pilot bearing.

I've had this problem a few times and I always fix it with a screwdriver between the 2 shafts. Never needed too much force.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:54 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I line up the coupler hole so I can put the the front most bolt in, then I use a large prybar to move the coupler and drive shaft until the rear hole lines up.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:51 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
I used a a gear puller.. had to get a bit creative to hold it on.

now THAT is creative !!
Old 07-28-2015, 01:38 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Wow, easiest fix ever, it slid back easily with the pry bar. Thanks all!
Old 07-28-2015, 02:58 PM
joeystanker
Rennlist Member

Very cool
Old 07-28-2015, 03:27 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

aaaand the threads on the bolt are botched from when I first attempted to install it the other day. New bolt is in the mail from Pelican now, after realizing by trial and error that an ordinary M10x1.5 bolt from the hardware store won't work because of a recess on the coupler flange. So many stupid things popping up at every turn.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:28 PM
joeystanker
Rennlist Member

Doh, stupid things. Don't I know it :-)
Old 07-28-2015, 05:57 PM
JacRyann
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't have the coupler in the right location if a straight bolt won't fit. There's a groove in the driveshaft that should line up with the bolt-hole in the coupler.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:25 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

The problem was the head of the bolt, there is a shoulder in the flange where the head rests. After a couple turns this interferes with a 17mm hex head, so an internal drive like Allen or torx must be used. I got the OEM part which annoys me because it's $10 + shipping for literally a bolt. And I replaced both last year when I replaced my torque tube and transaxle.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:05 AM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Van
I line up the coupler hole so I can put the the front most bolt in, then I use a large prybar to move the coupler and drive shaft until the rear hole lines up.
+944

I've done this multiple times to properly align the shafts...

Good luck!
Ethan

Quick Reply: Torque tube shaft too close to trans - need adjustment ideas