Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Reliability and pitfalls

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 01:11 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

[QUOTE=harveyf;12092423][HTML]Good to see that you understand the crapshoot involved with a low mileage 30 year old car.[QUOTE]

I'm no stranger to old cars, but until now, I've had sense enough to keep my dabbling to domestics. Seeing that 944 just woke something up in me from my high school days.

I figured that, unlike in high school, I've got a spare car to drive when the 944 breaks and when it's running right, I can drive around and pretend to be Jake Ryan. And when I'm pretending to be Jake Ryan, I would NOT give up Caroline for Samantha. I'd do them both and then ride off into the sunset cranking Spandau Ballet and Oingo Boingo from the Blaupunkt.

Thanks for the local references. I'll reach out to you and Sirspeedy2 if I get serious about one of these again.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:21 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

they're still making that. see 'em on the road every day.

GTR
370zx
BRZ/FR-S
G37
Genesis
Old 03-05-2015, 11:41 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

it was a shocking sight to see that car in the Fall of '82.

I still remember exactly where i made my first sighting.

hard to believe you could buy that thing, then.

that.....

the Ferrari Daytonas, 328.... and Boxer were the cars.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:55 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
And when I'm pretending to be Jake Ryan, I would NOT give up Caroline for Samantha. I'd do them both and then ride off into the sunset cranking Spandau Ballet and Oingo Boingo from the Blaupunkt.
Quote of the year.

(except wasn't Samantha like 16 or something...)
Old 03-06-2015, 12:26 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

pitfall for the day..
drove home from work today, went inside to change to go to the gym.
walked out and got no start but plenty of cranking.
wiggled the ref sensors, nothing.
reached under the dash and tapped the dme relay a few times, car started right up.
then i discovered i had four (!) spare DME relais in the glovebox.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:50 AM
FIA-F1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where under the dash is that DME relay? I haven't had to do that yet but I did a lot of the stuff mentioned earlier in the thread.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:03 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by FIA-F1
Where under the dash is that DME relay? I haven't had to do that yet but I did a lot of the stuff mentioned earlier in the thread.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/944/944Q...fuse_panel.htm
Old 03-06-2015, 01:30 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

for users with no OT site functionality, it's all funz on RLOT forum tonight.
and i'll repost some of my $0.02.... might bring a smile to your's alls faces....

968/wicked hard hits.... most of the pics have a remarkable story attached.

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/porsche/968

take it to the bank...

https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...aughter-3.html

Originally Posted by gnat

I don't think the 996 is the safest vehicle out there....
Originally Posted by odurandina
# of Porsche fatals in transaxles: 14 (head flies off due to the vehicles' innate rigidity).

Hans would have saved every one.

# of Porsche fatals in bugs and roadsters; 40,730 (standard fare: decapitation, severed bodies, chests/faces crushed, etc).

Hans wouldn't have mattered.

what? you all never seen all them odd numbered wheel/tire sets on ebay?
Originally Posted by Little Green
Od,
Wtf is that all about?

it doesn't please me in the slightest to say this, not to mention, I'm joining the legion of P-car bug/roadster owners.
but, Porsche 911s and Boxsters are at the very least, fairly deadly cars in crashes.

sad, and absolutely true. unfortunately, to a significant extent, the airbags mask this unpleasant truth....

by comparison, Porsche 944s and 968s are silly, remarkably, safe cars even in the face of the most horrific crashes your
mind can think up.

after a bad crash, your body will very likely remain in pretty fair condition.... but it is quite possible that your head might
eventually be located a few dozen meters distant from where your smashed 944 finds it's final resting place.

why?

a host of reasons. not the least being...

well, let me put it this way; study the crash photos....

Porsche 944 hard hits:

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/porsche/944

and read the remarkable stories....

it may soon become obvious - that ostensibly, the torque tube rigidity is causing the engines and transmissions to remain
anchored long enough that they act as significant barricades while the engine compartments, drivetrain and unibody/s act
in concert to absorb the impact and secondary impacts.

to the novice observer, photos of smashed up 944s and 968s are remarkably unspectacular.

the vast majority look like hard fender benders.... when in fact, a significant number endured very hard hits
capable of relatively catastrophic results if compared to other similarly sized cars not possessing torque tubes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

in any case, be safe.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:16 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
f
by comparison, Porsche 944s and 968s are silly, remarkably, safe cars even in the face of the most horrific crashes your mind can think up.
I personally would extend that list to include the 931, and mine was pre-airbag.

In 1989 I bought a 931 for peanuts from a fellow who clearly acquired it in exchange for some debt and just planned to sell it, had no idea what he had and couldn't tell the difference between the 24 and 31, and I wasn't going to tell him, it was cash on the spot and I drove it away. It wasn't the nicest color but it was in pretty good shape. I spent the whole winter under it re-building the suspension, I was big into suspension tuning at the time, and it was fairly cheap to get some major handling gains on the 924s back then. I did have to replace the turbo (PO had burned the bearings,never replaced it) but even that wasn't expensive.

One fine spring Sunday morning I climbed into it and drove it into town to fill it with gas so my wife could drive it to work for the first time on Monday, it was going to be a gift for her, I'd bought my 928 S3 two years earlier and I thought she'd look great in the 931. She was pretty stoked about it, she'd just finished having our two kids pretty much back to back, and I knew it would get her groove back (I was also stoked to have that happen since she'd darned near been pregnant for two straight years)

I couldn't have much fun on CA Hwy 9 between my place and Boulder Creek on a Sunday morning in spring. I ended up behind a 1950's Ford pickup, but I was just enjoying the day anyway so I stayed back about 8 or 10 car lengths and soaked up the sound of the turbo spooling up and down. The truck disappears around a dog leg in front of me, I'm doing about 40mph and just as I setup for the turn a Fiat 124 sedan appears coming at me crossed up, in my lane in a four wheel drift at what was later estimated to be 70 mph, combined impact speed? 110.

I tried an escape right onto the shoulder, probably not the best reaction since I T-boned him in the front passenger side door with both cars on the shoulder. All the lights went out for me and I woke up in the hospital about two hours later. I had a mild concussion, not from impact with the car, but from having my brain slam into the front of my skull at something close to 110. I had a bruise from my left shoulder to my right hip that later turned almost black, I just had the stock belts in the car (I had dreamed of turning it into a track car but it wouldn't have suited my wife's idiom).

That was it. The car was completely demolished. The engine and drive train went under me, steering column uncoupled. They cut off the roof to get me out of the car. I think I got $500 for the metal, there's wasn't anything left of it.

The guy in the Fiat smacked the side of his head at the temple into the coat hook between front and rear seats, punching a fair sized hole in his skull. He was hospitalized. They released me the same day.

Turned out the guy was drunk, had had a fight with his girlfriend, stormed off in her car with a suspended license and no insurance.

Since that day I've never bought another performance car or sedan except Porsche/Audi and have no plan to. I might someday inherit a Volvo twin turbo from my Mom if I can ever convince her she honestly owes it to herself to buy one in her golden years, but probably not.

I literally owe my life to Porsche and I'll go to my grave a devoted fan of the marque. Even if I end up dying in one, I'll know I had the best chance I could expect.

Porsche. There is no substitute. Not for me. Not Ever.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:48 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by konakat
Odurandina might be the biggest pitfall of 944 ownership. Timing belts are second.
This is hilarious, and was not a problem for the first 25 years of ownership.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:58 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by sausagehacker
(except wasn't Samantha like 16 or something...)
It's my dream.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative vibes, Moriarty.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:23 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

ah yes, Moriarty-101 : (the original inspiration of odurandina) @3:28

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IatwoA00E0

highlight reel....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuStsFW4EmQ
Old 01-10-2018, 10:01 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Where have they gone.....
Old 01-13-2018, 11:20 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

You really need to stop.

If you don't like the 944 series of cars than simply quit posting on here.

Quick Reply: 944 Reliability and pitfalls