Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turns over fine, wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 08:33 PM
jackkthemackk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turns over fine, wont start.

So at my new place the parking lots are kinda really unlevel. Last night I parked my car and it's the drivers side is below the passengers (level wise) by a solid amount. Car will turn over beautifully but won't start. Is this because of the gas tank being very unlevel? Especially since it's on the passengers side and higher. Has a good amount of gas in the tank, more than half full. Any ideas or experiences like this? Thanks guys!
Old 11-22-2014, 10:51 PM
NoRush993/951
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Based on your previous posts it looks like you've been working on the car lately. Make sure your spark wire connector isn't coming apart at the junction clip. The clip is plastic and can start to not hold together tightly. This wire runs across the top of the firewall. Just search for it and you'll find the schematic. It could be your culprit. No spark - no start......
Old 11-23-2014, 06:40 PM
NoRush993/951
Racer

Try tapping the Fuel pump relay with the handle of a screwdriver. Might be that too.
Just a thought.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:59 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

You need to narrow it down to what's keeping it from starting... no spark, no fuel, no injector pulse, or (in extreme cases) no compression.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:28 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Try jiggling the speed and reference plugs at rear of engine.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:35 PM
mhariush
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I was battling a non start for the longest time and it turned out to be the alarm. Worth trying to jumper it if you have one.

Do you have the "tach bounce?"

Follow Clark's Troubleshoot guide

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/ts-01.htm
Old 11-24-2014, 06:11 PM
jackkthemackk
Instructor

Originally Posted by NoRush993/951
Based on your previous posts it looks like you've been working on the car lately. Make sure your spark wire connector isn't coming apart at the junction clip. The clip is plastic and can start to not hold together tightly. This wire runs across the top of the firewall. Just search for it and you'll find the schematic. It could be your culprit. No spark - no start......
Try tapping the Fuel pump relay with the handle of a screwdriver. Might be that too.
Just a thought.
Originally Posted by sausagehacker
You need to narrow it down to what's keeping it from starting... no spark, no fuel, no injector pulse, or (in extreme cases) no compression.
Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
Originally Posted by mhariush
I was battling a non start for the longest time and it turned out to be the alarm. Worth trying to jumper it if you have one.

Turned the key sunday morning and whola, started right up. Must've just been "one of those days"! Drove Sunday and today. Started no problem, ran beautifully. Kinda just has a mind of its own!
Old 11-25-2014, 05:45 PM
jackkthemackk
Instructor

Well guess what.. wouldn't start last night after work. Same problem. I have no tach bounce. Does turn over just fine. Checked connections, everything seems to be fine? It is 27 degrees outside though.

Based on your previous posts it looks like you've been working on the car lately. Make sure your spark wire connector isn't coming apart at the junction clip. The clip is plastic and can start to not hold together tightly. Thiswire runs across the top of the firewall. Just search for it and you'll find the schematic. It could be your culprit. No spark - no start......
Checked it, just fine.

Just a thought.
tried it, nothing.

Originally Posted by sausagehacker
Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
Will try the speed and reference trick. Having someone bring me a 10mm ratchet with a bunch of extensions over to my car after work.

No tach bounce. Any suggestions for the culprit?
Old 11-26-2014, 08:59 PM
NoRush993/951
Racer

Could be the fuel pump. Also check to physically make sure there is gas in the tank. The float could be mis-measuring. Never had this problem on a Porsche, but did on a BMW 330. Needle read half tank but it was empty.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:25 PM
mhariush
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

No Tach Bounce usually means either:

Bad Speed Sensor, but those are a pain to get to.

or

if you have OEM alarm? Jump it as per Clark's.

There might be more things to check, but start with those two, alarm first if you have it.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:18 AM
jackkthemackk
Instructor

Could be the fuel pump. Also check to physically make sure there is gas in the tank. The float could be mis-measuring. Never had this problem on a Porsche, but did on a BMW 330. Needle read half tank but it was empty.
No Tach Bounce usually means either: Bad Speed Sensor, but those are a pain to get to. or if you have OEM alarm? Jump it as per Clark's. There might be more things to check, but start with those two, alarm first if you have it.
Update Update Update!

https://i.imgur.com/IVstRnv.png

Found the culprit! ^^^

I worked on my car in the parking lot at work today (where I left it because it refused to start). Tried again to start it because it was warm today and above freezing. No luck. Pulled the sensor closer to the front. It had a little grease on it, cleaned it and put it back in. Pulled the one closer to the rear of the car. A little beat up.. It's the one picture. Put it back in, wouldn't start. Played with the distance of it for about 15 minutes and surprise, it started. Drove it home, parked it in the garage, and away for the season it goes. New speed & reference sensors come Monday and we'll be on sometime soon!

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 11-30-2014, 04:45 AM
drive135mph
Instructor

That sensor could be dead, bad reference sensors can fail intermittently, I bet that's the trouble
Old 11-30-2014, 10:24 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Broken solder joint on the DME or DME relay?
Old 11-30-2014, 10:57 AM
jackkthemackk
Instructor

Originally Posted by drive135mph
That sensor could be dead, bad reference sensors can fail intermittently, I bet that's the trouble
Originally Posted by Van
Broken solder joint on the DME or DME relay?
did you guys read my update? 😂

When I put the sensor back in after doing the clutch job it was too close the the flywheel and I guess scratched it. because it was scratched it was not at the set hight anymore and wouldn't read. I played with the hight for a bit and going back and forth trying to start it and finally it started after a while.

Quick Reply: Turns over fine, wont start.