Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting to '87 suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 09:55 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

BAM! Got it.

The front suspension practically fell off the car in comparison to getting the rear off, what a nightmare! Definitely not something I would do by myself ever again.

At one point I was using a 5 foot piece of exhaust pipe as a cheater bar to break the shock bolts loose. Then I was jumping up and down on the brake rotors back and forth to get the whole thing to drop out. What I would have given to do this in my garage with proper tools and not laying in the dirt on broken glass.

I damaged the brake dust shields when I finally got it to drop but I'm not using them anyway.

Got the entire suspension system for a grand total of only $240!
Old 10-29-2014, 10:01 PM
bumflick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice!
Old 10-30-2014, 11:09 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 301 Posts

Reminds of when I went to a "full service" junkyard back in the 80's to get a rear end for my Volvo 240. I got to watch as the guy ran out to the parts car with a forklift, lifted it several feet off the ground, fired up an oxy-acetylene torch and proceeded to torch cut the rear end out of the car. Wham, right through the shocks, took a chunk out of the sheet metal around the mounting points, sliced through the driveshaft, right threw the brake lines. In 10 minutes that sucker was on the ground and ready to haul away
Old 11-01-2014, 01:08 PM
jshep
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another advantage I thought with the later suspension was the ability for wheel speed sensing and potential use of of an ABS system - which could link into a data acquisition system, in addition to the other advantages of later offset wheels - (better & more choices), bigger brakes, and lighter weight components, more options for front suspension control arms that are race ready.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:57 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pilk

Thanks for the input (really everyone). I need to rebuild my 83 as well and had my eyes on Lindsey's tubed control arms since I want something I can seriously abuse, but wasn't sure what else would need to be swapped. I'm going to keep an eye on your build for certain.
You can beat the heck out of the steel control arms....if you are the least bit concerned, box them for added strength. To the OP, As for bigger brakes on a track car, are you changing engines? Cause the stock brakes will lock up over and over and over again, you're adding unnecessary weight....

More power, bigger tires, then big brakes make sense otherwise you will go backwards in performance.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:53 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by f1rocks
Cause the stock brakes will lock up over and over and over again, you're adding unnecessary weight....

More power, bigger tires, then big brakes make sense otherwise you will go backwards in performance.
True fact!
Old 11-02-2014, 01:25 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Ya the car will be getting an LS V8... eventually.

I was planning on doing the engine swap last so that I can get a better idea of what the car's final weight will be once all the cage, safety systems, brakes, suspension, etc. are installed so that I can build the engine to be within the power to weight ratio of the class I want to run.

Since this is on a pretty tight budget I'll probably get all the safety stuff in there first so that I can race it in it's current form (stock engine, brakes, suspension) for a season or two while I accumulate the go-fast parts, then install all of them at once over the winter. I just couldn't pass up on getting the suspension parts for cheap.

Any advice on what the best steps to take when building a car would be very helpful. I have been researching like crazy but help is always appreciated. For all I know I'm going about it backwards.

Last edited by RoyaleWithCheese; 11-02-2014 at 01:31 PM. Reason: add detail
Old 11-02-2014, 06:41 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese
Ya the car will be getting an LS V8... eventually.

I was planning on doing the engine swap last so that I can get a better idea of what the car's final weight will be once all the cage, safety systems, brakes, suspension, etc. are installed so that I can build the engine to be within the power to weight ratio of the class I want to run.

Since this is on a pretty tight budget I'll probably get all the safety stuff in there first so that I can race it in it's current form (stock engine, brakes, suspension) for a season or two while I accumulate the go-fast parts, then install all of them at once over the winter. I just couldn't pass up on getting the suspension parts for cheap.

Any advice on what the best steps to take when building a car would be very helpful. I have been researching like crazy but help is always appreciated. For all I know I'm going about it backwards.
Then I would suggest putting the late suspension and leaving the big brakes off until you pop the big motor in. If you are learning threshold braking with stock brakes, the consumables are way cheaper and you can keep the weight off. If you're putting in the v8, you'll lose the power booster anyway so the brakes will feel different.

Bling isn't faster but it can cost more. Flat spot a couple sets of Hoosiers and you'll know it!!

Quick Reply: Converting to '87 suspension