Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3D Printing for the 944

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 01:02 AM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Awesome to see this thread since I work in 3D printing!

I work doing 3D rapid prototyping and have several types of 3D printers at my disposal as well as a 3D scanner.

I've been planning on printing some custom headlight buckets. I would like to do a couple offset projector headlamps and have the buckets slightly contour to the curves of the lights so they look a bit more modern vs. the square lamp buckets offered elsewhere.

The trick will be to make them clean and functional without them getting ricey looking.

Once they're printed, molds will be taken from the prints so they can be replicated in FG.

Originally Posted by Triple_T
Don't have the link. Regarding the strentgh of plastics... isn't there somebody 3D printing hand guns?

There is a gun that can be printed on a home 3D printer that shoots a single .22 round although there is a very good chance you'll get hurt. The printers that print the gun receivers that last longer than 1 shot are produced using plastic sintering printers that cost 100k+ (even those only last around 30 rounds before breaking).

It's feasible to make high strength or high temp parts but financially the technology is still too new to be affordable to the average consumer.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:39 AM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
I believe you can do natural. However because of the nature of 3D printing, the light transfer wouldn't work. You need a smooth substance throughout for the light to travel through it to the desired spot.

I din't know they're NLA. Best bet is to get a plastic company to reverse-mold it, and mold new ones in clear plastic. Might cost a fortune though.
I'm planning on learning about/trying my hands at DIY plastic molding over the summer. My goal is, if I get good at it, to make decent quality (probably not perfect but good enough) and very inexpensive 944 parts (cause I love y'all and wanna contribute to the community somehow). Things like clear turn signals, those clear plastic ac control panel things, etc etc.

We'll see how it goes come summertime
Old 01-21-2014, 01:19 PM
bajabluejay
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Loving the response to this post!

Here are a few things I'd like to try immediately:

Switch Blanks for fore-of-shifter switches

Shifter **** Cap

Early/Late Cupholder Solutions

End Caps for Luggage Cover
Would need some dimensions from someone for this one, may rear is all stripped at the moment!

Custom Phone Dock
I use a ProClip mount, but it would be a nice challenge to make a 944 specific smartphone/GPS mount.

Seat Buttons
Not sure if ELLSSUU means the bottom and back slides, vertical adjustments, or what I already printed?

Seat Slide Pull Covers
To complement what I already printed, I need to make the plastic cover that sits between the pull and the seat.

Also, a good article on the whole printed gun distraction: hackaday.com
Old 01-21-2014, 01:49 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

If you could try to make one of the AFM adapter things I mentioned, even as a one (or two)-off, I would buy it...

Otherwise I'll bust out my fiberglass.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:23 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm interested in hearing more about these printed ABS ITB units, my next major design phase for my car is going to be designing and constructing an ITB manifold.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:31 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At work, we have some Stainless Steel parts being printed by a vendor who sinters powdered metal with a laser. It's expensive, but you can make parts that couldn't be made by conventional machining. 3D printers for plastic are getting pretty cheap these days, especially if you build a kit.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:46 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree, 2500ish for a plastic 3D printer is a steal in my opinion, I hope to have one in my workshop in a few years when prices come down even more. My goal is to put together a nice capable home machine shop with your basic machine tools like a drill press, mill, lathe, 3d printer, and a plasma cutter. Or maybe I should just spring for an older, used multi axis CNC machine..
Old 01-22-2014, 10:04 AM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could you do fog light lenses? Those things are always broken.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:35 AM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Butters944
I'm planning on learning about/trying my hands at DIY plastic molding over the summer. My goal is, if I get good at it, to make decent quality (probably not perfect but good enough) and very inexpensive 944 parts (cause I love y'all and wanna contribute to the community somehow). Things like clear turn signals, those clear plastic ac control panel things, etc etc.

We'll see how it goes come summertime
I was looking into doing this a while back for a tail light on a vintage motorcycle I had that cracked and couldn't find the part anymore, and came across this page:

http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/page-v...il_light_lens/

I'm sure there are much better ways to do it than that and to replicate the lenses you will have to do a 2 part mold which definitely complicates things. For simple projects though that is a cheap DIY way to do it and can be dyed any color or left clear.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:54 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

I have experience with SolidWorks, so if someone needs a file for a part, send me the dimension and some pics and I'll make a CAD file.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:50 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Theres no point to making the switch filler parts. The one that goes where the fader was is $4 and the ones that fill in the switch holes are $3 each. I dont think youre going to be able to compete with that. And the one for the fader hole has quite a curve to the surface that youd have to duplicate.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:34 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

We have a 3d printer at work, and just today we were all "joking" about printing legos and stuff... I'm happy to see this thread!

How about custom key heads? Specifically, for the guys with the plastic key head with the light (not the round rubber head). You could make anything, from a Porsche emblem shaped head, to a lightsaber hilt, LOL.

968 brake cooling scoops?

924/944.1 2-gauge panel for center of dash?

Those stupid sunroof hinge pieces that always break?

A zip-tie at loooooooong as you want?

I would love to get the file for the glovebox hinges too!
Old 01-23-2014, 08:26 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Insert for centre console cassette cover? I could use a few.

I can see it now: While U Wait 3D Printing at Hershey...
Old 01-23-2014, 10:29 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by theedge
Theres no point to making the switch filler parts. The one that goes where the fader was is $4 and the ones that fill in the switch holes are $3 each. I dont think youre going to be able to compete with that. And the one for the fader hole has quite a curve to the surface that youd have to duplicate.
howabout for the early cars, those blanks are really hard to find!
Old 01-23-2014, 10:57 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
howabout for the early cars, those blanks are really hard to find!
Upgrade to a late car

Quick Reply: 3D Printing for the 944