Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering shaft U joint replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 11:07 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

is there any reason why we couldn't just replace the bearings and leave the standard x yoke?
Old 07-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Dean924s
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
is there any reason why we couldn't just replace the bearings and leave the standard x yoke?
The surface that the bearings ride on gets chewed up and destroyed. Also to remove the bearing I don't press them out as this can result in damage to the bore in the yoke that the bearing cap sits in due to the staking of the original equipment bearings. With a drive shaft U joint you can press them out as the yoke is allot bigger and any damage to it will be minor (although you still need to inspect for cracks). These yokes are much smaller and you can not afford to have any damage. The damage is usually chipping of the edge of the yoke. You also run the risk of cracking the yoke as well. The other problem is that if you try to press the U joints through the knurled metal (staking) there is a very good chance that you will bend the Yoke. If you end the yoke the holes are then out of alignment and the new U joints do not work and are usually damaged when you try to install them.

Make sense?

FYI the Yoke's are the U shaped pieces that the bearings are pressed into. The pieces that are attached to the steering shaft and what clamps on to the steering rack and the shaft that comes through the fire wall from the steering wheel. I don't know what the technical name for the X piece in the center of the U joint is called. I just call it the center X piece of the U joint.

Last edited by Dean924s; 01-20-2013 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Added content
Old 07-02-2012, 02:09 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean924s
Grit and dirt will get in there and kill those bearings eventually. I suspect that those are not designed from the manufacturer to be used for that purpose.
These are Borgeson shafts custom designed for the 944. I doubt Borgeson would use bearings not designed for purpose. They are the largest manufactuer of custom steering components for race teams, have been for years, including NASCAR & LE Mans.

They are fully sealed bearings instead of using rubber boots which has to be better, no?
Old 07-02-2012, 03:11 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got about 25K mi. on the Borgeson joints....feel brand new still. They are poly/rubber sealed.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Dean924s
Instructor

Originally Posted by MAGK944
No rubber in them plus I accurately measured them and they match stock dimensions. Here's a close up:

This photo is a bit blurry but I can see what I think is the needle bearings meaning dirt can get in there. If they are sealed / weatherised then they should be good to go.

Also regarding racing. Most units made for racing are replaced quite frequently. Many race parts do not have the weatherization that a OE part has. The point being is that just because it is used in racing does not mean that it should be used for the street. Although most "racing parts" will make your car perform better they are not always designed for street use.

Case in point. My car evolved in to a track toy. I have / had weltmeister bushings in it. With street use they brake quite regularly. I started to have to replace them on a yearly basis as my car evolved back in to a street car. I finally ended up putting the OE bushing in my car as it is primarily driven on the street now. Now no more yearly bushing replacement. Same goes for this part. Just because it is "used for racing" or "designed for racing" does not automatically make it a superior part to the OE part. Racing parts are purpose designed for racing NOT the street.These are two very different environments that have design requirements that are very different. They do the job that they were designed to do very well. Probably better than just about any aftermarket steering shaft out there.

The Borgeson units are excellent for racing. Lighter and probably stronger but probably not as good at dealing with dirt and water if what I am seeing in the photo above is what I think it is. They probably were not originally designed to to go 100K miles on the street they have to perform well at speed, on the track for a much more finite period of time. I am sure that they are designed accordingly.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Dean924s
Instructor

The final part with the retainers installed and painted. Not bad for a first prototype.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:06 PM
Dean924s
Instructor

I just acquired a half dozen or so rebuildable shafts. I will be getting the parts to re build them around the 20th of this month if anyone is interested.

I can rebuild yours if you send it to me or do it on an exchange basis (a core fee will apply since I have to purchase the ones I get for rebuilding). I don't have any steering shafts for non power racks so those would have to be sent to me for rebuilding.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:59 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

Looks very nice; and asset to the 944 community!
Old 07-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

One company in Slovenia is making those and sell them worldwide.. Its called Prekom.

http://en.prekom.si/porsche-car-parts.html

http://ss1.spletnik.si/4_4/000/000/2...rts-prekom.pdf
Old 07-12-2012, 10:10 PM
crooster
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Dean - I am interested in a manual steering shaft rebuild, however I'm not sure I will have time to pull mine out of the car by the 20th. Is this a one time only thing?
Old 07-13-2012, 12:16 AM
Dean924s
Instructor

Originally Posted by crooster
Dean - I am interested in a manual steering shaft rebuild, however I'm not sure I will have time to pull mine out of the car by the 20th. Is this a one time only thing?
No it is not a one time thing. As long as there is an interest from 944 owners I can continue to do this. Since I am financing this out of pocket at the moment I only ordered enough U joints to do 10 units it kept the cost per unit at a reasonable number. IF I order 1 unit or 10 units the shipping costs are the same. Shipping costs go down with every 10 U joints I order. Plus I had to source and purchase a half dozen cores to have on the shelf if people want them shipped to them before they remove there steering shaft to minimise down time of there car.

If there is an interest in this I can easily get more with out an issue. It just takes about 5 days to ship them to me as long as they are in stock. This is why i am waiting at the moment. The next production run of them comes off the line on the 15th. Add 5 days to get them to me and that is why I am using the 20th as the date when I should receive the U joints.

As for cost I am not sure of the policies here on rennlist are about this kind of thing thing so unless an admin "Ok's" it I will be keeping pricing and what not off this list. You can PM me and I will respond privately and or I can direct you to my web site where I have done a writeup about it with pricing and what not. Ya it is shameless advertising sales pitch stuff but I try to cover all the possible questions people may have there.

As for the yours being a manual steering shaft you would have to send it to me and I would re build it and send it back.

Ohya one other thing. And this is very important. I am not accepting any money from anyone until I have the parts in hand to do the rebuilds. I will be starting a list of those that express interest and will contact them in the order that I am contacted. If anyone is interested email me directly at dsmith@radio.fm or dsmith@emotorsports.org both go to the same Microsoft outlook on my computer it makes no difference. This will get you in the Que. One I get the parts I will email back people in the order I get emails from people until I have sold everything. Hopefully I can gauge the interest by then and if needed get another order in for more U joints as needed to expedite things for the future.

Last edited by Dean924s; 07-13-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Dean924s
Instructor

I spoke with my supplier last night after posting and the parts arrived yesterday. They will ship Monday!!!! As it is some sort of company holiday today.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Dean924s
Instructor

Deleted - doubble post
Old 07-13-2012, 12:02 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Roughly how much would a rebuilt shaft cost?
Old 07-13-2012, 07:02 PM
Dean924s
Instructor

I have been getting a fair amount of interest about this. Please email me directly at dsmith@radio.fm or take a wonder over to http://www.emotorsports.org/prod02.htm Where I have put up a page that I try to cover all the questions people may have.

The short if it is. The rebuild cost is $199.95 (I really wanted to keep it under $200) This includes shipping back to you. There is also a core fee if you don't have one or need the part in hand before you remove your old one to minimise down time of your car. The core fee is $50 and will be returned when I get your rebuildable steering shaft

If anyone is interested please email me directly and I will put you in a cue. Once I get the parts in had I will email people back and they can at that point decide if they want to more forward.

Thanks for all the interest guys!!!!

Quick Reply: Steering shaft U joint replacement.