Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I really, REALLY miss my Porsche 944...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 10:00 AM
82-T/A
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I really, REALLY miss my Porsche 944...

I totally re-worked my 1984 Porsche 944. You guys probably all have the same story. Bought a 944 for $1,500, dumped 4,000 into it, and then sold it for $2,000... right?

Yeah, that's what I did. I sold my 944 (and some other cars) because my wife had just given birth to our first child, and I was getting nervous, felt like I needed to downsize everything. I sold my 1973 Oldsmobile Cutlass, my 1984 Porsche 944, and my 1981 Pontiac TransAm. I actually even went further than that and sold my 2006 Pontiac Solstice (which I had special ordered), and traded it in for a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2-Dr with 32k miles on it (it's immaculate), and then traded in my wife's 2004 VW Beetle Convertible for a 2008 Jeep Patriot Limited w/ 14k miles on it. I have no debt, and everything is paid for... so any money I get goes into savings, and my daughter's college fund (she has more money than I do now, and she's only 8 months old).

I still feel that way, and I know the last thing I have time for is a Porsche 944 right now... but damn do I miss it.

I still kept my 73 VW Bus, my 87 Pontiac Fiero (my first car), and my grandfather's 2002 Crown Victoria (which I inherited when he passed away). But man... that black and black 944 I had was awesome. I fell in love with the car the one day back in like 1997... when I was driving my Fiero, and I was racing some NA Porsche 944 and he blew me away (I guess I was probably running high 16s, and he was running mid 15s). The car sounded awesome (even for just a pathetic 2.5 four cyl). I've rebuilt the engine in my Fiero a couple of times now, and it runs like a high 14 on a good day... wow... but... I still really miss my 944.

I figure I'll get another one one day, once I'm finished with school. I have a Euro-spec front bumper with the fog lights in it (aluminum bumper) and the proper shock mounts too... just for the day when I'm ready to buy another one...

I may go guards red this time though...

You guys will hate me... maybe even ban me.... but I'm thinking I'll get a Turbo 944, and change out the front nose to that of an NA 944. I just think that NA front nose is SOOO classic and timeless... the turbo nose looks like something on an early 90s Nissan.

Nothing screams Porsche like that early NA 944 nose...
Old 09-07-2009, 11:12 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 82-T/A
I totally re-worked my 1984 Porsche 944. You guys probably all have the same story. Bought a 944 for $1,500, dumped 4,000 into it, and then sold it for $2,000... right?

Yeah, that's what I did. I sold my 944 (and some other cars) because my wife had just given birth to our first child, and I was getting nervous, felt like I needed to downsize everything. I sold my 1973 Oldsmobile Cutlass, my 1984 Porsche 944, and my 1981 Pontiac TransAm. I actually even went further than that and sold my 2006 Pontiac Solstice (which I had special ordered), and traded it in for a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2-Dr with 32k miles on it (it's immaculate), and then traded in my wife's 2004 VW Beetle Convertible for a 2008 Jeep Patriot Limited w/ 14k miles on it. I have no debt, and everything is paid for... so any money I get goes into savings, and my daughter's college fund (she has more money than I do now, and she's only 8 months old).

I still feel that way, and I know the last thing I have time for is a Porsche 944 right now... but damn do I miss it.

I still kept my 73 VW Bus, my 87 Pontiac Fiero (my first car), and my grandfather's 2002 Crown Victoria (which I inherited when he passed away). But man... that black and black 944 I had was awesome. I fell in love with the car the one day back in like 1997... when I was driving my Fiero, and I was racing some NA Porsche 944 and he blew me away (I guess I was probably running high 16s, and he was running mid 15s). The car sounded awesome (even for just a pathetic 2.5 four cyl). I've rebuilt the engine in my Fiero a couple of times now, and it runs like a high 14 on a good day... wow... but... I still really miss my 944.

I figure I'll get another one one day, once I'm finished with school. I have a Euro-spec front bumper with the fog lights in it (aluminum bumper) and the proper shock mounts too... just for the day when I'm ready to buy another one...

I may go guards red this time though...

You guys will hate me... maybe even ban me.... but I'm thinking I'll get a Turbo 944, and change out the front nose to that of an NA 944. I just think that NA front nose is SOOO classic and timeless... the turbo nose looks like something on an early 90s Nissan.

Nothing screams Porsche like that early NA 944 nose...
I hope to not feel the pain you are going through. I hope to always have a 944 to drive when I want.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:24 AM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

You sold the 944 but kept the Fiero?
Old 09-07-2009, 11:30 AM
87 944 C
Drifting

i've been there, i had my 79 924 for 2 yrs, i sold it(50 bucks...yup) after i'd say 3 months i missed it and i went and got my 944. they're addicting in a way(the 4cyl series) i need a lot of work done to it now, but i'm driving it till it breaks then rebuilding it, cause hell no i'm not selling it
Old 09-07-2009, 11:36 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

If you really want that 944 NA look, get a 944 S! It'll probably cause you a lot less trouble than a turbo, too.

Or you could find a callaway...

It's good to hear that you've got everything paid for and are saving. I really, really respect you for that. Now why you held on to a VW bus instead of the 944 I can't figure out but man....when I get my '89 put back together I may be selling it because I want to upgrade to a 996 but I may just as well put it on blocks and just keep it around.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:20 AM
gricec
Pro

I hear ya.

I just traded mine for a e34 530i. For the same reason as well. Baby on the way.

I miss it, but then i remember how low the oil pressure was getting.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:04 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First sacrifice I made was selling my 69 4-4-2 to buy an engagement ring. This was about 1997 or 1998. Best deal I ever made (just don't tell her I'll admit it).

Fast forward to about 2003 (we married in 2000). My wife and I made a deal. She was ready for kids before me. I'd wanted a bike since I was 15. God bless her, she wouldn't let me settle for a Sportster, she made me get what I wanted - a Fat Boy. I got the Fat Boy, she got pregnant.........with twins. Sold the Fat Boy, the relatively new truck, and bought the absolute benchmark for non-Soviet block crap - a Merkur Scorpio. We also sold her Millenia S, and bought a used Explorer. Thought getting a V8 would still give me towing capability, but the chassis was not up to task. Fortunately, she finished her fellowship a year later, and I got the Mazdaspeed6 after about 1.5 years of that POS Scorpio. We got her the Audi shortly thereafter.

I got to keep the GTO through all of it (it was my first car). I'm still missing a truck, though. However, I'm now looking to sell the Mazda to get a truck. Partially so I can once again tow, partially because I'm a pretty hard core DIYer, and partiallly because 67Prince is due in a few weeks, and the Mazda won't fit three boosters/baby seats.

Trending Topics

Old 09-08-2009, 01:57 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Hey, I think I remember some pics of your garage! BTW, congratulations on the little girl
Originally Posted by 82-T/A
You guys will hate me... maybe even ban me.... but I'm thinking I'll get a Turbo 944, and change out the front nose to that of an NA 944. I just think that NA front nose is SOOO classic and timeless...
You'll need NA fenders, light covers, and maybe a hood, don't recall offhand... there are probably lots of people that would trade you straight up

I suspect from your garage, though, that you might be interested in a V8 swap into the NA as well
Old 09-08-2009, 02:56 PM
luftpirate
Pro

Bump for Fieros ! They are fun cars to work on and and drive. I'm selling mine to get the 944 running though, too many cars and too many new responsibilities coming up in my life. Seems to be a common theme for all.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:10 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Drive a modded 951... you won't miss your n/a. Driving a N/A afterwards is like watching CHiPs or McGuvyer now after watching it as a kid.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:16 PM
krystar
Drifting

nothing wrong with watching macguyver now. ditto with A-team and knight rider.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:29 PM
guardsred944s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fbgh2o
There's an episode of "How I met your mother" about Fiero's, apparently people become quite attached to them.

http://tvshack.net/tv/How_I_Met_Your..._2/episode_17/

Speaking of which, I REALLY miss my Miata.... NOT. That car blew. Sold and GONE TG!
Old 09-08-2009, 09:38 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Funny how a wife and kid can scramble your brain, isn't it? Fortunately I didn't have to sacrifice much for the wedding ring, etc. as the crippling debt came AFTER I got married But we're getting it back under control (heh I was able to buy the 951!) and I love driving it so much that I've already decided that if push ever came to shove, my Audi would go before my 951 would. I just take too much pleasure in driving it. And at the moment, I don't mind working on it either... though I suspect it's possible that could change after owning it for a bit!
Old 09-15-2009, 05:59 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Originally Posted by alordofchaos
Hey, I think I remember some pics of your garage! BTW, congratulations on the little girl You'll need NA fenders, light covers, and maybe a hood, don't recall offhand... there are probably lots of people that would trade you straight up

I suspect from your garage, though, that you might be interested in a V8 swap into the NA as well

Honestly, I thought about it too when I had the car at the time. But really, I think having the baby has also caused me to driver slower. I can't remember the last time I took any car over 80... I think a nice running relatively stock Turbo 2.5 should be perfect!!

Originally Posted by luftpirate
Bump for Fieros ! They are fun cars to work on and and drive. I'm selling mine to get the 944 running though, too many cars and too many new responsibilities coming up in my life. Seems to be a common theme for all.

Hah, yeah... I've had like 7 Fieros in the past 13 years or so... I did actually have one catch fire too... hah (1984 Fiero 2m4 SE). I love my 87 Fiero though... it was my first car... you just can't replace your first....

Originally Posted by knfeparty
If you really want that 944 NA look, get a 944 S! It'll probably cause you a lot less trouble than a turbo, too.

Or you could find a callaway...

It's good to hear that you've got everything paid for and are saving. I really, really respect you for that. Now why you held on to a VW bus instead of the 944 I can't figure out but man....when I get my '89 put back together I may be selling it because I want to upgrade to a 996 but I may just as well put it on blocks and just keep it around.

Well, true... but when was the last time you were able to put 40 huge bags of cypress mulch in the back of your Porsche 944??? hahah....

Yeah, not having debt does feel much better, plus with the Fiero and Bus, well... they just sit in the garage. I don't really have to worry about anything other than focus on my priorities.

Originally Posted by fbgh2o
You never forget your first!!!

Anyway, thanks guys, I appreciate the moral support.

A week doesn't go by that I don't miss my Porsche 944... I DEFINITELY have to get one once I've moved into my new career and my degree is finished...

It's going to be well worth it. I'm going to spend the time to shop around.

I've made the mistake that most of us all make and that's to buy an affordable one and dump THOUSANDS into it. I know now to find the most reasonable one I can, in the most decent shape, rather than the cheapest one I can find... hah. But hey, that's how you learn...
Old 09-15-2009, 06:20 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't understand it when people decide, "I have a kid now, I have to sell my car." I have 5 kids, and I still drive a 944 to work every day. When we all need to fit, we take my wife's Odyssey. Having a family doesn't mean that you can no longer own cars that are not totally practical, it means you better have at least 1 that is. I guess you have a fiero anyway, so I guess I really don't understand. Also, has it occurred to you that the 90's Nissan might be drawing cues from the 80's Porsche? There were a lot of cars that borrowed HEAVILY from the 944 in the styling dept.

I can definitely relate to your yearning, I just don't understand the reasoning. I have been without several times. When your 8 month old already has a college fund, seems like you could swing a 944 if you really wanted to.

Quick Reply: I really, REALLY miss my Porsche 944...