Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I really, REALLY miss my Porsche 944...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 08:32 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep,
I got married and kept my 944 Turbo S and 944 NA race car. We had little child and I kept my Porsche's. I have two family cars one for her and one daily driver for me, but I will not give up my 944s.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:43 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alex
I don't understand it when people decide, "I have a kid now, I have to sell my car." I have 5 kids, and I still drive a 944 to work every day. When we all need to fit, we take my wife's Odyssey. Having a family doesn't mean that you can no longer own cars that are not totally practical, it means you better have at least 1 that is. I guess you have a fiero anyway, so I guess I really don't understand. Also, has it occurred to you that the 90's Nissan might be drawing cues from the 80's Porsche? There were a lot of cars that borrowed HEAVILY from the 944 in the styling dept.

I can definitely relate to your yearning, I just don't understand the reasoning. I have been without several times. When your 8 month old already has a college fund, seems like you could swing a 944 if you really wanted to.

Well, certainly, what it always comes down to is priorities.

I have a pretty decent job, but things have changed since my wife gave birth to our first.

For one, she only wors 2 days a week now, and that's really just for her to keep her sanity. So we no longer have her income coming in. I'm also going back to school 2 days a week to finish my engineering degree.

For what it's worth, we really didn't have ANY practical cars. For the first several months of my wife driving with the baby, she had to use my 2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX. It's only got 30 some odd thousand miles on it, and it is in really good shape, but it's still an older car. I still owed about $6,700 on my Solstice, and with only $25,000 in liquid assets to my name, I really just didn't feel comfortable. What if I lost my job for more than 5-6 months? What would I do.

The fact is, I maintain all my cars myself. I had an 81 TransAm project car (didn't run), my 73 Oldsmobile Cutlass which I drove to work now and then, my Solstice, my wife's Beetle, my Porsche 944... none of which are very practical cars.

The Solstice and VW Beetle obviously need little maintenance, but they both weren't good cars for us to have in this stage of our lives. I wanted my wife to have something new that was paid for, so we got her a 2008 Jeep Patriot w/ 13k miles (at the time). I needed something with low miles that I could beat around in, and take to home depot to do house repairs and projects with, so I got a 2002 Explorer Sport 2-dr (it's great).

The Fiero and the VW Bus just sit in the garage, so really... it feels like a HUGE weight off my shoulder knowing that there's nothing that "NEEDS" to be done. I can just focus on my family, my school, and work. And... when I have time that's not spent fixing or improving the house, it's spent working on my VW Bus and Fiero.

To be quite honest, I really just don't have the time right now. I'll be finished with school in a year, and if I move into a new career field, I'll have a little bit more time.

The VW Bus, as it stands, is worth more than an NA Porsche 944 (as you know), so it was really a no-brainer. I love the 944, but I do also like the Bus. It's not fast, it handles like a massive loaf of bread would if you put wheels on it... but it's really unique.

The Fiero... there's not much I can say about that... I mean, it's not a piece of garbage by any means, but it was also my first car. I can ALWAYS get another Porsche 944 and I realize that... but you can never buy back your first car... unless you're really really lucky and have tons of money.

Here's a picture of it when I lived in an apartment back in like 1999...

I could get rid of the Crown Victoria... but that's another whole other emotional thing... that was my grandfather's car. I inherited it in 2004 only 2 years after he bought it. It's kind of cool, but I brought my daughter home from the hospital in her great grandfather's car... not too many people can say that.

I also drove to my grandfather's cabin in West Virginia in that Crown Victoria (from Fort Lauderdale) where I proposed to my wife. Who then proceeded to throw up immediately after because of the floaty ride through the West Virginia twisty mountain roads.

Don't ask how I managed to drive a Crown Victoria up a drit / gravel mountain road, even I don't know... I just know that I wasn't going to stop once I started up it!

There's a family that lives at the bottom of the mountain right next to our road to the cabin, and they came up to visit in their ATVs the next morning after I got up there. They asked me... "how the hell did you get this up here???"

Anyway... I'll get another 944... at least now I know too exactly what I want.
But sometimes you've got to make decisions that suck. I could never forgive myself if I gave up my first car that I've had for almost 14 years now... even if no one else thinks it's cool!

Anyone want to buy a golf cart? Heh....
Old 09-16-2009, 12:14 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

If you get that 951, let me know if you're serious about swapping bumpers. I'll totally take the 951 front parts off your hands! Heck, I'll even send you my N/A stuff!
Old 09-16-2009, 09:37 AM
82-T/A
Racer

Originally Posted by Marcquito
If you get that 951, let me know if you're serious about swapping bumpers. I'll totally take the 951 front parts off your hands! Heck, I'll even send you my N/A stuff!

I absolutely will, but it'll probably be 1-2 years before I get another one.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:43 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by alex
I don't understand it when people decide, "I have a kid now, I have to sell my car."
Hell, I sold my 924 because we needed the garage/driveay space at our first house My wife was a good sport about parking outside so the 924 could have it's garage space but I felt bad about it and moved it outside. Then I felt bad about it sitting outside and thought it deserved to be driven.
Originally Posted by 82-T/A
I could get rid of the Crown Victoria... but that's another whole other emotional thing... that was my grandfather's car.
Those are great stories, a lot of history with that car
Anyway... I'll get another 944... at least now I know too exactly what I want.
Interestingly, the whole time I had the 924, I really wanted a 944. I'm back in school now myself, thought about selling the 944 because it's sat in our garage undriven for about 2 yrs now, no time for maintenance, but I think I'll keep it - it just means one of us (wife or I) has to park outside in the winter.
Anyone want to buy a golf cart? Heh....
heh, if you were closer...

I suspect most of us will still be here with our cars
Old 09-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

No worries. I'll still be around.

Good luck, mate.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:57 PM
Catfood
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drove my brothers red NA 944 this last week and wanted to get rid of my 928. The reason I sold my 944S is because I could not get a race helmet on in it. Im too dang tall!

Quick Reply: I really, REALLY miss my Porsche 944...