Sponsored by:

Casting the net... loooking for a decent 914

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 10:16 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 884 Likes on 535 Posts

Just back from two day road trip to Iowa from AZ... looking at pix I too would pass. For the life of me can't figure out why someone would put a 75-76 bumper on an early car. The rust around the windshield and cowl and trunk seal is probably a lot worse than you'd think.
When I restored my '73 the rust was a lot worse than I thought and the $$ to make it perfect was a lot more than the car will ever be technically worth, but sentimentally it is to me and my boys, so what the hell. This car doesn't hold any sentimentality, so keep looking...sorry.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:02 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Thanks again, all.

Well, some very interesting developments today in my 914 hunt. Not one, but TWO candidates.

1. A 1973 1.7 that has been stroked to 2.5 L, immaculate rebuild. I shall refer to this one below as the white car.

2. A 1973 1.7 immaculate original stock (I know, I said I wanted a 2.0, but read below. The car has a fantastic pedigree). I shall refer to this car as the orange car.

OK, here's some poop on the white car:

The seller bought it about 8 months ago. He was going to retire, but then decided he needed to continue working. He owns several vintage Porsches, and is a long time member of PCA. He wanted this car to autocross, but now has no time to autocross (he never did end up autocrossing it at all).

It was built by a guy in Temecula, CA (not far from here). It's the original 1.7 block, but displacement has been stroked to 2.5.

Seller says the car is immaculate. Paint looks perfect. The only flaw anywhere (so he says) is a loose thread on one seat. It was originally yellow, repainted white. Not a frame-off repaint, but high quality nevertheless. He says that when he bought it, he looked at numerous 914's, and he never saw one in as good a condition as this one. He does seem like a straight-up guy, based on my conversation. Apparently no rust at all. All new rubber seals.

Overall, looks to me like a sweet car.

Now, here's an interesting twist.... I was at a PCA event this evening. I was showing the pix and info of this car to some people, and came to realize that one of the guys is a 914 "guru". He spent many years buying and selling 914s and 914 parts, for a living. He currently owns a local Porsche (and other German cars) parts business. His wife was the president of our PCA region last year. He and his wife have won numerous awards, and are very active in many events, including concourse, which they are both judges for. You couldn't ask for a better person to recommend a 914.

So, he tells me of a 1973 1.7 for sale that is immaculate... a 9 on a 1 to 10 scale, from a concourse judge's perspective. He knows the seller and the car extremely well. This is the orange car. He will hook me up with the seller tomorrow.

I have the advertisement and pix of the white car (see below), but not the orange one.

Given the info I have provided, which of those two cars would you guys choose (for argument's sake, let's say they are the same price).

All opinions welcome. Thanks guys!
Attached Images        
Old 05-30-2014, 03:12 AM
willbj3
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For argument sake , what are the asking prices ?
Old 05-30-2014, 03:24 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

White car: Asking price = 10K

Orange car: Was told approx. 11K to 12K, but I haven't confirmed this yet.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:05 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Pull the trigger already.

Kidding people. Sheesh

Not but 10 minutes from my house.
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4491703990.html
Old 05-30-2014, 04:35 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Doug, That one in your link in San Dimas, 1975 1.8, is a sort-of decent looking one for the price (assuming he will come down from the 5K asking price), based on the pix and description. Of course, the red one I looked at seemed way better from the original pix and seller's description than in person. Interior looks rough on that San Dimas car, and there seems to be a big ding or something on right rear quarter. What's up with the suspension on that car in your link? Rear is about 3 inches lower than front.
Attached Images  
Old 05-30-2014, 07:34 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Better an *** dragger than a knuckle dragger.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:22 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 530 Likes on 284 Posts

me personally? i would take the white one hands down. I had a 2.4/4 in Papa Smurf when he was stock body and it was a blast to drive. lots of torque and hp for the platform.

I know I'm going to offend people, but a 1.7 is just....a 1.7. Nice to drive, but lacking in power (kinda like a Boxster vs. Boxster S) and it's not like an all original 1.7 is going to hold it's value better than a stroked engine car.

But I'm a bit biased...as you can see from our cars I'm not into stock 914's..

Drive both, then decide. I think the decision would be easy then...
IMO of course!

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 05-30-2014, 12:19 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 884 Likes on 535 Posts

Both sound like good candidates- later model, with moveable pass seat, SIDE shifter, etc.

I'd go for the white one too if it is what they say. You can wash it and drive it!!
And it already has the Italian front turn lenses

(why do people NOT remove those god awful front side lights if they're repainting it anyway????????)

And why did they leave on the 1.7 on the rear panel??
Old 05-30-2014, 02:37 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Thanks guys.... all the input is super appreciated!!!

I'm still trying to find out who built the white one so I can talk to him.

I'm basically looking for a toy that I can eventually sell (if I want) and not get too beaten up on. My personal belief is that '73/74 2.0 will continue to rise in value.

Interesting comment: "it's not like an all original 1.7 is going to hold it's value better than a stroked engine car." I had been wondering that same thing. Lets say I want to sell it in a few years. Will it be tougher to sell the stroked one or the stock one

Coordinating driving both of these cars is not easy.

Re: White one: The car is in San Diego, the owner is in the Central Valley (his work recently relocated him). So, the car is at his nephew's house in San Diego. Nephew is in Marines and is deployed, so need to coordinate owner taking time off from work to come down. Orange car is up in Pasadena. A couple hours from here through sucky LA traffic.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:57 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From studying the collector car "hobby", it is mostly true that stock cars are more highly valued than modified ones. Of course there are exceptions. Re-bodied Bentleys from the pre-war era are an example.

Considering how much you are spending, you cannot get too beat up when it comes time to re-sell.

I would say to drive and inspect both and considering the relative conditions, buy the one you like better
Old 05-30-2014, 03:05 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

^^ I agree from the collector car hobby stand point, but (again, I'm going to offend people) I'm not sure how 'collectable' a 1.7 914 is...that was more my point.
If it was a 914-6, or a Can-Am car, yes, originality can be important.
but most 914's are bought to drive and have fun with, so 'customization' is rampant. and many times, very tasteful or 'normal' customization increases the value (like converting to side shift, increasing displacement, etc).

Case in point: Our car Huey (yellow/blue one in my avatar) started life as a 1.7. Now it's a 3.2/6 conversion, 5 lug wheels, flares, roll cage, stripped interior, etc. etc. etc....I've been offered over $30k for it (not selling btw). it would NEVER be worth that in stock 1.7 form...ever...
Old 05-30-2014, 03:39 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Thanks again. My 914 guru friend at the PCA event last night made a similar comment.... that it is extremely common to modify 914s, and that doesn't necessarily kill their value.

Without having driven either car yet:

My "impulse" is to want the white one, since I prefer to have more power. But, since I don't know exactly what stroker kit and other mods were installed, I'm buying much more of an unknown. Oh, Bob, wanted to ask you.... I was told it has dual 44 Webers. My friend said that's probably good, but that it can affect drive-ability (stalling at idle, etc.).... Any input on that?

Regarding the Orange one: I love the oranges, blues, greens, yellows, etc. on these cars! They just give me a smile to look at, much more so than a white one. And, when our PCA does the frequent Palomar Mountain runs, will I be able to keep up in an 80 HP car?

For those of you that have owned/driven both the stock 1.7 and the stock 2.0:

When driving these cars under a variety of conditions, do you notice much of a difference in general? Or would you say is is more subtle.

We frequently do runs up the local mountains. Will I notice a big difference chugging uphill with only 80 HP as opposed to a ""whopping" 95 HP?
Old 05-30-2014, 04:03 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Carbs are really the only way you can go with a modified engine.
Pro's are they are fairly easy to adjust and can extract more power out of the same engine.
Con is...they are a bit more temperamental, normally on cold start up. I never had issues with stalling at idle...that's an easy adjustment.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:57 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Ah, I guess I wasn't clear.... I meant what do you think of 44 carbs for that 1.7 stroked to 2.5 , as opposed to maybe 40s or 42s.

Quick Reply: Casting the net... loooking for a decent 914