911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Joined the 930 club

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 05:58 PM
Cbwell
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Joined the 930 club

Thanks for all the advice and feedback during my search. I pulled the trigger on this 930 over the weekend. I flew to FL to check out a couple of them and decided on this one. More pics will follow once it gets delivered. The wheels are being replaced with fake Fuchs before it leaves FL as I really don't like these.

At first I was looking for something as close to stock as possible but I ended up going this direction after I drove it. I hope I don't regret that decision down the road.

Details:

1-owner and original paint (AZ/CA= no rust)
80K miles
5-speed G5050 trans
Sport seats- all interior is original and very good shape
B & B full exhaust- stock exhaust included
Garret Turbo
Aftermarket IC but can't tell from who?? stock IC included
Front oil cooler- stock valence included and I'll likely go back to it for looks
993 big reds
I'm getting Euromeister Fuchs put on it right now- worked out an exchange with the shop that did the PPI. I will be changing them as soon as I figure out what I want to do- original 16" Fuchs or get donors and send to Lindsey to get 17" wheels made.

So did I shoot myself in the foot going non-stock? This thing drives like a bat out of hell and is very tight.

I did drive a bone stock (other than exhaust) the day before. It was really clean but had a re-spray and signs that it needed a top end rebuild due to oil leaks and the price wasn't much less than this one.

Lots of question to follow once I get it I'm sure. I have to say, just based on the short test drives I had, this is the type of car I've been looking for. Nice and raw and full of personality.

If anybody is interested in swapping stock brakes for the big reds I may be game. I'm also looking for a different IC as this one sits a little high and there is a shim so that the lid will close.
Attached Images   
Old 12-01-2016, 06:48 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd say slowly accumulate the stock parts, clean them nicely, wrap in plastic, store in a box for the next owner so when you list you can mention all parts available to return to stock. Until then enjoy as-is guilt free.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:50 PM
Cbwell
Pro

Thanks- yep, that's the plan. I had no idea how much a tool kit could cost- jeez.....
Old 12-01-2016, 10:06 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

Sweeeeeeet!!! Nice choice!

Yes, love that raw visceral feeling of driving these 3.3 air cooled beasts, especially if it's been tuned up.

I also agree on the front valance. I too prefer the stock look over the dropped "heavy look" on the front sides of that aftermarket valance. But heck, to each his/her own on those styling accents. Make it your own!
Congrats!!

... That old adage saying of the "two best days...",... does NOT apply to these cars. The BEST day is when you purchase it,... and the suckiest day is when you sell it.

more pics after you've had some fun with it!!
=Steve
Old 12-02-2016, 10:20 AM
Cbwell
Pro

Thanks, Steve. I can't wait until it gets here. I think it's the right combo of what I've been looking for- raw with good performance. I've missed that since my '07 GT3RS and this takes it to the next level, at least on the raw aspect. It won't see any track duty so it's perfectly fine for the street.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:40 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 280 Posts

First of all congratulations.
How long you're gonna keep this car?

{As far as Euromeister Fuchs replica... I have a very low opinion of these wheels unless your putting around town} >> Look at the Fikse Fuchs wheels, 17" with hidden fasteners, forged, ..., high quality. I bought a set, very nice....perfect offset = happy.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:01 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Congrats, agree just keep the stock parts in a box. The oil cooler, IC are a must. The 5-speed is a cool, expensive, time consuming upgrade, well done.
I've been sniffing around again myself.....
Old 12-03-2016, 12:41 AM
Cbwell
Pro

Thanks, guys.

Igooz- what's the over/under for me keeping it more than 3 months?? Actually, I really hope to hang onto this one for a while. I also don't think it would be as easy to sell as my previous rides so I may not have a choice. The 930 market seems to be a pretty slow one right now.

I found your wheel post and am definitely thinking about going the same route you did. The Euromeisters are really just a stop gap because I hate the wheels that are on it. I did a straight up swap so at least I can drive it around while I'm doing my hunt for my forever-wheels. I'll PM you with a question or two.

Chris- if you're sniffing around and don't mind a re-spray I looked at a really nice one in Daytona Beach. Thanks for the input on the trans- it's really been eating at me if I made a big mistake going this route. Hell, at the end of the day I like how it drives and if I eat it on resale then oh well.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:13 AM
musiker
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! Car has tons of character, looks like very nice condition, have fun with it. The only thing that matters is that you enjoy it, someone will buy when you want to sell.
Originally Posted by Cbwell
Thanks, guys.

Igooz- what's the over/under for me keeping it more than 3 months?? Actually, I really hope to hang onto this one for a while. I also don't think it would be as easy to sell as my previous rides so I may not have a choice. The 930 market seems to be a pretty slow one right now.

I found your wheel post and am definitely thinking about going the same route you did. The Euromeisters are really just a stop gap because I hate the wheels that are on it. I did a straight up swap so at least I can drive it around while I'm doing my hunt for my forever-wheels. I'll PM you with a question or two.

Chris- if you're sniffing around and don't mind a re-spray I looked at a really nice one in Daytona Beach. Thanks for the input on the trans- it's really been eating at me if I made a big mistake going this route. Hell, at the end of the day I like how it drives and if I eat it on resale then oh well.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:24 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbwell
Igooz- what's the over/under for me keeping it more than 3 months??...
I bet that you will enjoy the 911 Turbo. PM replied.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:43 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Looking at this one...
Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2016, 10:56 PM
Cbwell
Pro

I've been wondering about that one. I've been following it on Ebay for a while now. It seems like it has potential and you could probably get a pretty good deal on it I bet.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:40 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

I made the guy a fair offer on it, but the sales guy is a dick, knows nothing about air cooled cars.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:55 AM
Cbwell
Pro

I have to say, I've run into some interesting folks in my hunt and not in a good way. There is a guy on eBay that was the rudest a-hole I've ever dealt with. He just listed his 930 again. Avoid the red one that was 'inherited'.

Good luck on your hunt. It's a strange market right now- everybody thinks the Hagerty valuation is anchored in reality somehow.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:52 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Yes, bunch of a holes who bought junk when the market was high, now trying to unload.
This blue one is interesting, but at the end of the day it's a modded grey market car with no records and he's non negotiable on the price. He can keep it.....

Quick Reply: Joined the 930 club