Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Not for sale you say, eh?
Old 02-25-2017, 09:27 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by ekoges
Not for sale you say, eh?
You get the first call if it ever is :-)
Old 02-26-2017, 12:01 PM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Seriously, I love that car.... You are exactly the kind of owner we all hope to be able to buy one of these beauties from.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:46 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

So, update:
--the clutch is in, it was ORIGINAL. The big funky rubber center clutch thing. My notchy action was due to the needle bearings on the fork being basically seized and notching the fork shaft really well. But there was life on the clutch, and I bought one of those kits that allows you to use the non-modified housing for the clutch fork shaft. Knock on wood the RMS wasn't leaking, and well, I hope it doesn't with the new RMS we put in! :-)

This is for cars that have had the bell housing modified, uses needle bearings (like ones that failed on mine):
http://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/1...G260-V826.aspx

I got this kit, which can be used with or without cars that have had the bell housing modified, but it uses bushings:
http://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/1...G157-V826.aspx

--all the parts come back from plating hopefully tomorrow. We basically put every gold part that wasn't electrical into the basket. I bought new fuel pressure and dampers, and a new fan.
--fan housing, and all the tins are at powder coat
--valves are adjusted, cleaned the intake valves!
--cams and all the mechanical bits look GOOD
--all the vacuum, breather, and rubber lines are replaced. Several of the vacuum and breather lines had cracking in them. Fuel lines were OK. There are a few more to replace in the engine area. But basically anything rubber is being replaced. I'm not replacing the oil lines between tank & thermostat or hard lines and oil cooler as they are fine and not seeping. They can be done with motor in car too.
--there is a brake booster vacuum line that is an SOB to replace between the chassis near the shifter exit and the fuel filter that we replaced. That thing cracks and leaks and well, causes all sorts of issues (like failed smog)
--cleaned the on engine oil cooler and replaced the gaskets (those green things)
--engine isn't seeping anywhere, knock on wood it stays that way :-)
--everything that can go in the sonic cleaner has been in there. Intake manifold is sparkly!
--So, basically it's get the bits back from plating, coating and reassemble.
--At some point i need to deal with the AC. The compressor is seeping some at the pulley. It's R12 still. Hence why it is sitting on the rags. R12 is like liquid gold and their machine won't do it.
--What I am "NOT" Cleaning is all the old cosmoline off. That stays. VINTAGE :-)

Some pics:

Last edited by Spyerx; 03-01-2017 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:16 PM
Achtung964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice project. What shop is doing the work? Looks tidy.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:20 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Sorry, not around much these days and forgot to circle back around. The problem with that era of factory G50 LSD is that you most likely only have 1 clutch per side. If you don't ever track it I wouldn't worry much about it, but if you want performance out of it at the limit it will come up sorely lacking, even if it is still in good condition.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:46 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
Sorry, not around much these days and forgot to circle back around. The problem with that era of factory G50 LSD is that you most likely only have 1 clutch per side. If you don't ever track it I wouldn't worry much about it, but if you want performance out of it at the limit it will come up sorely lacking, even if it is still in good condition.
GOTCHA! I need to hit you up on my 91 C2 with factory LSD... that I 'do' want to upgrade :-)

Originally Posted by Achtung964
Nice project. What shop is doing the work? Looks tidy.
BBI Autosport works on all my cars (when I can't, or won't!)
Old 03-01-2017, 06:06 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That is the cleanest tranny I've ever seen. My next big project is going to be building an engine room....then do THAT to my tranny.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:56 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps
That is the cleanest tranny I've ever seen. My next big project is going to be building an engine room....then do THAT to my tranny.
When I was still building gearboxes we had a multi stage process.
1. tear down and remove all internals or rustables.
2. put in the massive parts washing machine.
3. air dry
4. put in media blaster and go over every in. with walnut shells
5. rinse and dry again.
6. spray and wipe with a wd40 type lubricant.
7. one last round of compressed air

Then it would go to the work bench for assembly.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:04 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Since the trans was pulled to do the clutch they cleaned it up. It was actually really clean already. Just dusty. Bottom has some of the factory cosmoline on it still. I'll keep that. Patina!

BBI has a huge ultrasonic cleaner/tank and a more traditional parts washer, and a media blaster... but this wasn't disassembled so just brought out back and washed down.

But, any part that can go in the ultrasonic has been in there for cleaning. That thing is amazing. No chemicals, just water.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:44 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I just got a soda blaster after a customer who has a fleet of old corvettes and off road race trucks went on and on about how great they work. I've used it to blast paint residue but nothing more. Now it sounds like I also need walnuts and a parts washer. LOLzzz.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:03 AM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spy,

Did they do anything to fuel rails? Buff from faded aluminum look? I don't really see any blinged out rails from third party gadget folks either? Like Turbokraft in Az does for Turbo rebuilds...
Old 03-02-2017, 01:47 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C4inLA
Spy,

Did they do anything to fuel rails? Buff from faded aluminum look? I don't really see any blinged out rails from third party gadget folks either? Like Turbokraft in Az does for Turbo rebuilds...
Rails got sonic cleaned and getting zinc coated.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:55 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Plating comes back Monday.
Got injectors back and balanced. See all the crappy old bits that came out.
Gusseted the engine carrier it's off to coat
Going to try some special media blast on the fan housing and other natural aluminum bits and see how that looks.
It's ready to go back together once coating and hardware is back.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:52 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

While waiting for the coated bits....So we tried a process of water based bead blasting on some of the aluminum bits and well the results are killer. Looks brand new and oem. This is the throttle bracket and we'll do this process on the valve covers, other aluminum bits, fan/fan housing. Fan/housing we will clear coat. Goal is oem looks.

Quick Reply: When a clutch job turns bad