Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Anyone else experience "aggressive purchase offers"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 12:52 PM
ezdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a persistent guy in Savannah GA ask me six times in a 3hr visit. He even walked up to my car, opened the door, took a pic of the sticker and walked back to me showing that he has all the history info on his smart phone. He is a manager at a Benz dealership and has a collection of 7 older 911s. I took his card. We were on a club road trip and he was one of the hosts on the destination side of the ride.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:24 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Freeborn
Now my house, that's different. We're constantly getting realtor letters asking if we want to sell...
These aren't realtors they are from private buyers. Full intro to who they are apologizing for the intrusion but would love to buy my home. The world has just gone over the top.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:22 PM
peter_jansen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a guy knock on my door asked me to name a price for my house. Named the price and he proceeded to try to chip $200k from it. Very few of these "buyers", be it housing or cars, are really in the market. These are impulsive acts. I wouldn't sell my car as I would have to put a lot of time and effort into replacing it. Why bother unless the money is really big? The house on the other hand we sold on the open market for good money because it was time to move to a nicer house being sold by an impulsive type
Old 10-07-2015, 02:27 PM
Charles Freeborn
Instructor

We're in a "hot" neighborhood. Close to nearly all services, good schools, classic houses (ours is a 1915 Craftsman), tree lined streets, so we get all sorts of inquiries. No one's knocked on the door (yet), but I wouldn't doubt it will happen one day. If they only knew I have an 800+ s.f. shop in the backyard they'd really be lining up...
We also have had more than one group taking pictures of each other in front. Turns out they're former owners. Nice folks so far.
-C
Old 10-07-2015, 04:52 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cobalt
.... So I figured nice day to take the C2 out for a spin.

So on the way I stopped by Autozone in hopes to find the tool. Before I could get out of the car I had someone ask me if I was interested in selling. No thanks! Of Course Autozone had nothing so I leave and as I am about to get into the car a guy in an Escalade swerves into the parking lot blocking me in rolls down his window asking if I wanted to sell. I said no but he kept on pushing. I asked him politely to move so I can leave but wanted my phone number before I left. Gave him a fictitious number claiming I didn't have my phone on me.

Delivered lunch watched a little competitive driving and headed off to PepBoys. As I find a lone spot way off the far end of the lot I hear a car beep. Another guy wanting to buy my car. Said no and into the store I went with one eye out the window the entire time. Luckily they had the tool. As I go to get into the car another person asked if I wanted to sell. I laughed and said you are the 4th person today who asked. Again politely No Thanks!!!

So I am driving home and I see this silver chevy pickup weaving through traffic. It looks as though he was trying to keep up with me so I get on it. I came up to a stop light and had no choice to stop. The guy leaves his truck in the middle of the road and runs up to my car at the intersection and starts pleading with me to sell him my car. I said NO!!!! Please!!! Name your price? NO!!! How about $70k??? light changed and I sped off.

... but I do admit it is taking the fun out of driving.
Anthony - Your 911 is impeccable (as well as your Porsche family collection)and I can see why you're being hounded and unfortunately getting annoyed with these incidents... Just like a celebrity being hounded by paparazzi.

But having being born, raised and lived till my early 20's in a foreign country just south of the US... Your account is a kind reminder of the freedoms we enjoy in this country for driving our 911s without the constant threat of having our cars taken by force, at gun point, and/or getting hurt by it or worse... Which is something that even in present times prevails

At least these peeps are annoyingly asking to buy your car

Keep enjoying our wonderful freedoms behind the wheels of our beautiful machines.

p.s. hope you were able to fix your Cayenne...

Quick Reply: Anyone else experience "aggressive purchase offers"?