tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

^ LoL
Old 04-23-2015, 06:05 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Awesome stuff Dave. What's next in the process?
Old 04-23-2015, 11:29 AM
nr1416
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great progress, I love these threads. thanks for sharing
Old 04-24-2015, 05:57 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Awesome stuff Dave. What's next in the process?
Well, it is a bit slow right now. I must get down there again to check on progress. I've started back into the interior fittings and the door armrest / door pulls are underway at the laser cutter. Will be folded and welded up and looking for a suitable finish, either scotchbrite or natural anodised or maybe Bronze anodised. Started drawing up the new dash plate and fittings attached to that. The Rundenmeister clock mount and a bit of other interior jewelery.
Have to spend this long weekend under the SC getting ready for the track Tuesday. Looking forward to that and the old girls first track outing.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:29 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Orange T

I will need to go down to Pirongia to pick up Lola in a couple of weeks so would be keen to hitch a ride if you are going down :-)
Old 04-30-2015, 09:34 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Will do Doug. Not sure when but I will go again soon.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:59 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Progress…one step forwards and two steps back.
I went to collect these today and am very disappointed in the finish. I decided to outsource the fabrication of these to a pro sheetmetal shop because the level of quality I am after needed to be better than I can achieve with thin gauge aluminium folding and welding. We agreed the quality of weld bead up front with samples they had but the guy who arranged it all has left the business and the shop just went on and made them without understanding the end use or level of quality required. The tubes have lost all definition as the oversized welding has burnt the edges away. The general welds are not that good but would clean up OK but I don’t think these are salvageable and I won't use them like this. The shop has some work to do.
Attached Images       
Old 05-01-2015, 12:52 AM
Maxem
Drifting

While I'm on fire with aluminium structures I've been thinking about high stop lights. In NZ these are mandatory if a vehicle is registered for road use after a certain year and since the T first came here in the mid 90's I think it has to have one. The other day in the rain following some old 911's to the track they really do need a bit of height in the lighting department. Normal fare is the gastly plastic type that adheres to the rear window with double sided tape. Not very attractive so I'm just hotdogging it here and this could be a viable alternative. The base bolted down to the rear parcel shelf sheetmetal and emerging through the upholstered shelf somehow. I'd go for a beehive or dome shaped LED light fixed to the mounting disc. If a free standing light creates too much reflection off the back screen into the cabin then I'd have the light mounted inside an aluminium tube with the end cut to the screen rake to focus the light through the screen rather than at it. I'll have to read up on the regulations to make sure that there isn't some obscure rule that makes it not possible.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Maxem; 05-01-2015 at 06:37 AM.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:33 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
While I'm on fire with aluminium structures I've been thinking about high stop lights. In NZ these are mandatory if a vehicle is registered for road use after a certain year and since the T first came here in the mid 90's I think it has to have one. The other day in the rain following some old 911's to the track they really do need a bit of height in the lighting department. Normal fare is the gastly plastic type that adheres to the rear window with double sided tape. Not very attractive so I'm just hotdogging it here and this could be a viable alternative. The base bolted down to the rear parcel shelf sheetmetal and emerging through the upholstered shelf somehow. I'd go for a beehive or dome shaped LED light fixed to the mounting disc. If a free standing light creates too much reflection off the back screen into the cabin then I'd have the light mounted inside an aluminium tube with the end cut to the screen rake to focus the light through the screen rather than at it. I'll have to read up on the regulations to make sure that there isn't some obscure rule that makes it not possible.
Have you thought about a custom rear roofline version like the 993 had?
Attached Images   
Old 05-10-2015, 03:26 PM
Maxem
Drifting

That looks pretty good. Can they be bought like that?
Old 05-11-2015, 11:43 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I like the handles. The round areas could be milled down by machine or sculpted by wire wheel. Aluminum loves to stick in traditional 4-1/4" grinder wheels so you have to be careful and switch wheels often. I prefer stiff wire wheels that push the aluminum around or heavy sandpaper wheels. Whatever method you use to remove bulk, go back over it with a soft wire wheel and you will easily hide any flaws.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:36 AM
Maxem
Drifting

The sure do need some re work. I've just told the shop to fix them so we will see what they do to get the result I'm after. I think they plan to machine off the tubes flush with the body and then weld on some small stubbs of tube this time with nice small and even weld beads rather than that massive thing they did to stuff them up.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:39 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Things are a bit slow in the shop in terms of work on the T. The shocks are adjustable Koni's which needed a bit of modifying to fit on a '70.
Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2015, 05:40 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Orange T