Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

I know where some of the oil is going

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 02:43 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

or a noggin of steel...anyways, all worked out and I know they are still solid. Car is running great. We'll see if the covers leak 'helps' my oil mileage (forever hopeful) totally dry under the car now.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:06 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Still reiver, you have ***** of steel. Wether you realize it or not
Not steel...Dilavar!

Ed, thank you for the kind words.

Regarding oil loss through leakage, I've always suggested that loss from a leak, severe enough to affect consumption stats, can be explained easily by doing a very messy experiment. Take one-half quart of oil and spill it onto your garage floor. Let it sit there and spread out for a day.

Compare that monumental oil slick to the occasional droplet from the engine. You will quickly see that your oil leaks/drips will have to be very large before they will have any impact on your miles/quart consumption rate. Note; oil can stain concrete, so if you can use a large drip pan, available at most auto parts stores, it might be a good idea to use that instead of your floor.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

For my next trick I will loosen all of the exhaust studs simply for fun!
Peter, I wasn't looking for an oil leak...was found during a valve adj and replaned the valve covers and don't expect much of a change.

and..the 2nd Amendment was not a hunting clause....
Old 01-15-2013, 09:39 AM
Repo_Man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Not steel...Dilavar!

Ed, thank you for the kind words.

Regarding oil loss through leakage, I've always suggested that loss from a leak, severe enough to affect consumption stats, can be explained easily by doing a very messy experiment. Take one-half quart of oil and spill it onto your garage floor. Let it sit there and spread out for a day.

Compare that monumental oil slick to the occasional droplet from the engine. You will quickly see that your oil leaks/drips will have to be very large before they will have any impact on your miles/quart consumption rate. Note; oil can stain concrete, so if you can use a large drip pan, available at most auto parts stores, it might be a good idea to use that instead of your floor.
I have a question about this...is it true that minor leaks when parked generally do not leak signiificantly more when the engine is operating? I've always had concerns that when everything is pressurized, and the oil is warm and flowing, that the rate of leakage could be much greater.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:49 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Repo_Man
I have a question about this...is it true that minor leaks when parked generally do not leak signiificantly more when the engine is operating? I've always had concerns that when everything is pressurized, and the oil is warm and flowing, that the rate of leakage could be much greater.
Actually that's a great question. Very few leaks will just leak, and not leave evidence behind. Serious leaks will usually soak the heat exchangers, and leave oily residue on the rear bodywork of the car. If you have a rear spoiler the underside of the tail will actually get wet if the leak is bad enough. Also, if a car leaks worse when it's running, the oil will almost always saturate the area near the problem, then drip off onto the floor when the car is parked.

My own '77 911S had a classic "no evidence left behind" leak. The engine oil cooler developed a pin hole leak, and when the car got up to temp, the oil shot out of that tiny hole; straight to the ground without hitting anything. Fortunately I caught that the oil level was down, but not low enough to cause further engine damage.

Quick Reply: I know where some of the oil is going