Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 06:47 PM
Edward1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ignition switch

I have a 1986 Porsche 911 and this afternoon the ignition switch will not make contact. It does not want to go into the part where it is in the start position. Appears a spring is broken or something. It just goes into the start position but there is not spring action as before.

First question I have is how to remove ths switch? Does anyone have a diagram or instructions of how to do this?

I would like to push it back into the garage and the brakes appear to be locked. Is this something to do with the switch?

Thanks for the help.

Edward
Old 10-15-2007, 06:32 AM
PeterRT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edward1
I would like to push it back into the garage and the brakes appear to be locked. Is this something to do with the switch?
No. So apart from the obvious (E-Brake, gearbox in neutral ) : push harder...
Old 10-15-2007, 07:41 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Hi Edward,

This is the bit that has the spring action in it.
It is under the dash directly inline with the key hole.
It is held to the steering lock with two screws and a large round electrical plug attaches to the pins in the picture.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images  
Old 10-15-2007, 12:55 PM
madmmac
Instructor

Before you remove, try shooting some brake cleaner directly into the key slot, then use a small/jewlers flat screwdriver and work the upper and lower tumblers back and forth. Shoot some more brake cleaner and repeat the process.

Next, shoot WD40 in there and repeat the process with the screw driver. Then, massage your key in there with more WD40.

Then try turning your switch to start your car.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:23 PM
jester911
Drifting

If you do that be careful with the brake cleaner. That stuff could do nasty things to you and your interior.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:05 PM
Edward1
Instructor

Default Switch

The key turns the switch alright, it appears that the part where it is spring loaded is just loose. Once it gets into the part where itgoes into the start position it is just loose no return back to the run position. Is this something that can be repaired by oiling it of should it be replaced. The photo shows apparantely the part where the key fits into, is that correct?

Thanks for the help

Edward
Old 10-17-2007, 08:39 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

If it is the same design as the Audi switch ( am I thin k it is ) it needs to be replaced, the pressure of the spring breaks the plastic housing and it is shot.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:36 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Originally Posted by Edward1
The key turns the switch alright, it appears that the part where it is spring loaded is just loose. Once it gets into the part where itgoes into the start position it is just loose no return back to the run position. Is this something that can be repaired by oiling it of should it be replaced. The photo shows apparantely the part where the key fits into, is that correct?

Thanks for the help

Edward
No, that's not correct.

The key goes into the steering lock. Stick your head under the dash and have a look. The bit in the pic I posted is attached to the back of the steering lock. If you have no spring action it is this bit that is "shot"
Pull the plug off of it and undo the two screws with a stumpy screw driver.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:00 PM
Edward1
Instructor

Question Ignition Switch Repair

Hi

Well I have dropped the ignition switch and it wasn't too bad except for not knowing how to take it off, thanks to 101 project for your Porsche about how to remove the unit. Question I now have is that now that it is a part I am not sure which part is bad. The ignition key turns smoothly, the wheel lock goes in and out rather nicely. The eltronic part seems to turn alright. Which of the two parts has the string that will return the switch out of the start position and return it to the run position. The parts place we talked to said the ignition switch is available, but the other part is a dealer item? Has anyone ever taken one apart to give me some insight as to which part is bad. The guy we tlked to told us the ignition switch does not contain a spring and the unit is just positions for the various switches to start, run, lights, etc. leading me to believe the part that bolts to the steering column is the culpert. Any information anyone would be willing to offer would be deeply appreciated.

Can someone offer a place to purchase the part that bolts to the steering column online. We don't have a Porsche dealer within several hundred miles from home.

Thanks!

Edward
Old 10-31-2007, 05:02 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

I feel like I'm talking to myself here.
The picture that I posted at the start of this thread is the part with the spring in it!

I've got one here and if I stick a screwdriver into the slot at the opposite end of the electrical connections I can turn it to get the positions of the ignition switch. i.e lock, acc, ignition on, and "start" WHICH IS SPRING LOADED AND RETURNS TO THE 'ignition on' position when you release the pressure.

Did you even read my above post telling you which part has the spring in it?
Old 10-31-2007, 06:49 AM
911_pilot
AutoX

Edward,
Call Glen at Pelican Parts (Ext. 240).
He is very knowledgable and has a lot of patience.
911_pilot
Old 10-31-2007, 07:41 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911_pilot
Edward,
Call Glen at Pelican Parts (Ext. 240).
He is very knowledgable and has a lot of patience.
911_pilot
G'day 911_pilot,
I really hope the "patience" reference wasn't directed at me.

As you can see I went to the trouble of finding my switch and taking apic of it for Edward.
I posted twice with what I thought was a pretty good explanation, however writing was never my strong point.

But in Ed's last post it's as if he never read any of what i post Now if I'm wrong he only had to say, "Mine's different than yours frank"
Old 10-31-2007, 11:02 AM
Edward1
Instructor

Smile Ignition switch

Hi Guys

I appreciate the information all of you are sending me. I do read it all, but when a parts house tells you ther is no spring in the ignition switch, there leaves room for doubt.

Frank, I did read your post and it wasn't that i doubted you, but as mentioned above the parts dealer does not know his product very well. I will call Pelican Part this evening.

Thanks so much for all the help.

Edward
Old 10-31-2007, 12:54 PM
JBO
Instructor

Frank - I am also having problems with mine and the WD-40 spray appears to have it working again. Turned it one day and the lights came on but it wouldn't spring back and start. Thought I was stranded then all of a sudden it decided to work. The wierd thing is some folks and parts places have told me I need the whole unit, incl the new key cylinder, while others say all I need is the switch that you pictured. Some say the spring back action is part of the key cylinder and not the electrical switch. My car is an 83 SC. Not sure if some years are different. If mine starts acting up I may just try to replace the electrical switch on the back, as its MUCH cheaper than the whole unit.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:19 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

JBO,
I can't speak for your model, but mine is an easy remove. I pull the electical connector (which is part of the loom) off the switch. Then using a 'stumpy phillips head' scewdriver ( you may need to beg, borrow this) remove the two screws that hold the switch to the steering lock part. Like I said, my "spring" action" for starting is in the switch that I pictured above. Funny thing is that the key hole doesn't really run right through into the switch. If you need to lubricate the switch it has to be removed.
When I got my car it had no steering lock (probably been stolen at one point) all I had was the loom hanging down with the switch in the picture plugged into it. I used to turn it on and off with a flat screwdriver when I was checking all of my wiring.
Good luck to all.

Quick Reply: Ignition switch