Sponsored by:

New Nitto Motivos - 991.1 CS2

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 09:23 PM
fluxwrap
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New Nitto Motivos - 991.1 CS2

Hi there. Long time lurker, first time poster. A few weeks ago I ran over a bolt that was large enough to destroy one of my rear tires. Weary of buying Pirellies every 10k miles and a bit pissed about having to replace a fairly new set of them, I decided to buy a much cheaper pair of Nitto Motivoes. Bought the stock summer tire size: 295/30ZR20. I'm running the car close to "normal" tire pressures (not "comfort" pressure): 38 rear / 31 front, cold. The rear of the car definitely doesn't have the kind of grip I'm accustomed to. In fact, just taking curves, offramps, and onramps at ordinary speeds with warm tires (read: extra-legal but not excessive) often causes the traction control to kick in! On the P-Zeroes, I've rarely felt this at the track, and possibly never have on the street unless provoking it.

Thoughts? Pressure too high for these tires? Too low? Are they just ****ty on a 911? I expected a degradation in performance with the Nittos, but this seems extreme. Nannies should not be kicking in to save me through a sweeper at 50mph! I've a track day next week, and frankly I'm a bit spooked.

Thanks!

Last edited by fluxwrap; 06-08-2017 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Typoes
Old 06-08-2017, 10:20 PM
smbryan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Long time lurker who joined this week? Ok did you RTFM? It (and the door jamb) both illustrate and list the proper tire settings for full and partial load(s) for high speed and comfort. use those - and by those I mean partial and comfort and be sure to tick the 'comfort' setting in the TPMS menu All that being said - you really want Pirelli's or Michellin's as well (preferably the latter).
Old 06-12-2017, 08:58 PM
fluxwrap
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. For my summer tires, I've been running at the partial load / high speed pressure (31/39), since I haven't noticed much difference at the "comfort" pressure (31/34) on the crappy roads around here. I brought the new Nittos down to 34 in the rear over the weekend and set the TPMS system to "comfort". I can't say our crappy roads feel any less crappy - but I haven't noticed the traction control interfering, and I was out for an aggressive drive yesterday. No more tramlining either, which is weird since I didn't touch the front tires. We'll see, but I'm hopeful that the Nittos are perhaps just a harder tire and want to run at lower pressure. I'm at the track this Thursday - should be interesting to see how these perform!

I may take a look at Michelin in the future. I haven't loved them in the past on my Audis, so I've never mounted them on the Porsche. At the rate I go through rear tires, that'll be next year some time.

Quick Reply: New Nitto Motivos - 991.1 CS2