Sponsored by:

Refinishing RS Magnesium Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 07:06 PM
Fanatic
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Refinishing RS Magnesium Wheels

So I picked up a set of genuine 17" RS magnesium wheels. Now I need to have them refinished to suit my needs. The front and rears are different colors.

Anybody have any experience with a good wheel refinisher in the Los Angeles area? Anybody DIY? If so what was your procedure?

Also, I wanted to do some of the prep work like removing the old factory paint myself. Will paint removing product like Jasco hurt the magnesium wheels?
Old 11-11-2003, 09:16 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a set of 18" BBS 3 piece magnesium centered wheels. I wouldn't use any kind of chemical stripper on them, as it sinks into the pores and when heated up (while driving), comes back out under your new paint. I would use a media balster of some kind that won't damage the metal or have some body do it for you. That's my plan when I do mine.

Just my .02

Jim
Old 11-23-2003, 03:07 PM
ebaker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I glassbeaded the centers on my 3 piece BBS's on my 928. It took forever to blast all the little pockets on those crosshatch centers. I had a body man prime and paint them with automotive enamel or lacquer. After a few months the paint chipped an the corrosion re-started. The car was my daily driver. I don't think you should use any chemical paint removers on magnesium.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:34 PM
Fanatic
Advanced

Thanks for the reply guys, I won't be using any chemical strpper on the wheels. It looks like it'll cost around $175 to refinish a wheel. The problem is I don't know about the quality of work they do. I'll have to keep researching.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:37 PM
Randy M '96 Silver 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have used Speedway in Santa Ana and they do a very nice job. 714-542-7778. They charges $80 a wheel to refinish / repaint some RH wheels. no affiliation, etc.

You can also call Wheel Enhancement for a referral.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:43 PM
Fanatic
Advanced

Randy,

I'll give speedway a call to see what they charge for magnesium wheels. I e-mailed wheel enhancement and they gave me a quote of $175. I know one guy that used W.E. and he wasn't happy with the work they did.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Refinishing RS Magnesium Wheels