Tire Bead/Wheel Contact Surface

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 11:15 PM
Seamless
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Tire Bead/Wheel Contact Surface

Hi all,

I want to refinish my aluminum wheels. I annoy most powder coating and wheel refinishing places when I ask questions like:

-What surface finish is required to allow the tire bead to properly seat and seal? Is this surface finish possible to maintain when the wheels are bead blasted or does this surface have to be turned (lathe)?
-Is it acceptable to have primer and paint on the tire bead surface?
-Do you mask the lug nut contact surfaces during prep (blasting) and paint?

Does anybody know or have any tech info on how these surfaces (wheel bead & lug nut) should be finished?

I have removed the possibility of powder coating as I do not know if or how the curing temperature will affect the metallurgy of the cast alloy.

Thanks,

-Adam
Old 05-09-2015, 01:49 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

I shall preface my answer by saying I am not a metallurgist, nor structural engineer, nor materials engineer, etc. My answer contains no scientific analysis whatsoever!

Originally Posted by Seamless
I have removed the possibility of powder coating as I do not know if or how the curing temperature will affect the metallurgy of the cast alloy.
Usually people avoid powder coating because it can hide cracks.

Do you mask the lug nut contact surfaces during prep (blasting) and paint?

Does anybody know or have any tech info on how these surfaces (wheel bead & lug nut) should be finished?
Many OEM and aftermarket wheels come with their lug seat areas (and other seat areas like hub surface and centerbore) masked and bare aluminum.
This is quite clear on any older Fuchs that have anodized black centers - the lug seat is bare aluminum. (Harder to see on silver painted wheels)

I'm assuming (but am not positive, I'm using pseudo-science here) seats are left bare because paint coatings could be slippery?

However, some aftermarket wheels have lug seats that are painted. I do not know the reasoning behind painting them. I asked a question about this over on Pelican some months back.

Some wheels have steel inserts for lug seats. I think some older Ferrari Campagnolo or Speedline wheels may have had this. Some modern wheels do but not many. It's mainly so they can be impact-driven on. If your wheels are cast I doubt this is the case.

-What surface finish is required to allow the tire bead to properly seat and seal? Is this surface finish possible to maintain when the wheels are bead blasted or does this surface have to be turned (lathe)?
-Is it acceptable to have primer and paint on the tire bead surface?
As for the tire/bead seat, I would imagine a bare surface would be ideal. I'm not sure however. As for your other questions I don't know.

Perhaps some experts can chime in. I am not an expert.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:39 PM
kennyvb
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Your question lead me to think about this article/video I ran across awhile ago:

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/03/...lippage-video/

Quick Reply: Tire Bead/Wheel Contact Surface