Sponsored by:

Forgiato 20" 997 wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 02:29 AM
crazy_nut
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forgiato 20" 997 wheels

hi I am thinking of getting set of forgiato 20' ECX rims.front 20x8.5 rear 20x12 any advise what size spacer i should get. my goal is to make more aggressive i could. its a 2008 997 turbo cab . Also need help deciding which wheels I should go for. I have attached two different colors on the wheel. its a black on black turbo cab. thanks in advance.
Attached Images   
Old 03-11-2015, 03:50 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

I owned a set of 20 inch wheels in 997 widebody fitment from AMT Forged Alloys. They were 20x8.5 front and 20x12 rear. Following is the offsets that they determined were best for the 997 widebody in those sizes

Front
20x8.5
et51

Rear
20x12
et47

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...brand-new.html

Just a warning, if you buy those wheels make sure that you really, really like them. They are very expensive, but I doubt you will be able to get even $1000 for them in the used market. The style and size is not what the average 997 owner is looking for.

It took me over six months to sell a set of brand new ultralight forged monoblock wheels in 20 inch size, 997 widebody fitment. And, in my opinion, they were a wheel that more people would like the look of then the Forgiatos you are considering.

Everyone has different taste in wheels, so I would never put down someone elses taste. But just be aware that you will probably be stuck with those if you decide you dont like them in a few years (or a few months).

20s are a hard sell in 997 fitment. 19s are much more popular. Forged monoblocks by HRE or Champion, even better.

If you want some 20s in WB fitment, there are these

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...y-fitment.html

Knowing that 20s are a hard sell, you could put in a low offer, and see what happens. His last asking price is $3500 shipped. But I had to sell my brand new monoblocks for less than half of that in the end.

There is also this great deal on some WB 19s

Anyway, just some suggestions. When I tried to sell my 20s, I found no one was interested. That became extremely frustrating, so I'm just trying to save you from ending up in the same situation.

Good Luck!!!!
Old 03-11-2015, 08:53 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have 7, 15, and 18mm spacers and longer bolts if you need them.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:01 AM
jdjones2010
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you going for the GHETTO Look (do they Spin too)? Maybe, it just ME! I just can't see these on a Porsche!
Old 03-13-2015, 03:27 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
I have 7, 15, and 18mm spacers and longer bolts if you need them.
Damon, forget the spacers... help this guy get some awesome lightweight wheels for his car LOL
Old 03-16-2015, 01:55 AM
crazy_nut
8th Gear

Originally Posted by jdjones2010
Are you going for the GHETTO Look (do they Spin too)? Maybe, it just ME! I just can't see these on a Porsche!
Ha ha like your comment bro...Is that really that ghetto looking....I saw them on a lamborghini Aventador in a car show & this pic attached. by the way thanks for the opinion though. Is that chrome part looks bad?
Attached Images  
Old 03-16-2015, 02:03 AM
crazy_nut
8th Gear

Originally Posted by halo777
Damon, forget the spacers... help this guy get some awesome lightweight wheels for his car LOL
Halo777 thanks for the inspiration man. I like those rims that you have sent the links for...thank you again. by the way what is the deal with spacer ...can it be fit on 20x8.5 & 20x12 configuration?
Old 03-16-2015, 02:50 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

No problem.

If you find something you like, it is best to buy used, as the huge initial depreciation is already accounted for.

Spacers may or may not be needed, depending on the wheel and tire. If possible, it is always better to have a wheel with the right offset then to use spacers.

I use spacers all the time, as I like to get the wheels as flush as possible to the lip, and often the stock wheel offsets aren't aggressive enough.

Stock offset on the C4s rear is et50 for a 19x11.5. It should be the same for the turbo.

You should be able to get away with an offset of up to et35 without rubbing on an 11 or 11.5 wheel. Sometimes it takes some trial and error, but I would use that as a general guideline for an aggressive rear offset for an 11 or 11.5 rear wheel.

Take these for example...

DPE specs
Fronts - 20 x 9 ET45
Rears - 20 x 11 ET32

Stock 997.1 wheel specs
Front: 8.5X19 ET56 (997.362.156.05)
Rear: 11X19 ET51 (997.362.162.02)

So, the fronts are half an inch wider (12mm) and the offset is 11mm more aggressive (wheel pushed out further). The outside edge of the wheel itself will be 17mm closer (6mm +11mm) towards the outer lip.

The rears are the same 11inch width as stock, but are pushed 19mm closer to the outside. Pretty aggressive, and would generally have the same effect of running a 19mm spacer.

It gets more complicated when you consider tire size and the increase of the wheel to 20inch (different side profile).

All that being said, the advantage of buying a used setup like this is that it has fitment that has already been tested. So, you should ask the guy to confirm that he had no rubbing with this setup, and find out what size tires he used. Make sure he didnt have to run stretched tires to avoid rub. The tires used should be the same width and overall diameter as stock, and should meet factory minimum load index ratings.

Knowing how aggressive the fronts are, and looking at this pic, it looks like he is possibly running a tire that is stretched outside spec on the front. Hard to tell though. If you find out the tires sizes he used, post it here and ping me to review.

I used to like to run large wheels, but nowadays I really like reasonable diameter lightweight forged wheels. They just feel so much better to drive, and Im not always worrying about getting a flat or destroying a wheel on the first pothole I hit.

That is another reason to go used if you go 20s. If you want to sell them, 20s are going to be hard regardless for the reasons I just mentioned. So, you dont want to spend too much money on them.

Everyone's taste is different, but if I were buying a new set of wheels today, this is what I would personally order...

Finspeed forged wheels in an 18 or 19 inch fitment

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-finspeed.html

http://finspeed.com/performance-wheels/

These are a new design, the Finspeed Spyder, that is not yet up on their website

There is a set of used Finspeeds in the Classifieds, but they are for narrowbody 997. So, you would need spacers to fit them properly in the rear of your turbo. If you want more details, PM me and Ill send you the link.

The great thing about buying direct from Finspeed is that you dont have to worry about spacers or fitment. They will take care of all of that for you.

I think you will be much happier with one of their wheels instead of the original ones you wanted, and they are priced very well for what you get. And, if you dont like them down the road, they should sell fairly easily.

If you want a little bling, go for the brushed clear or tinted clear. Or maybe even ask them about custom gold paint options, if you really want it to stand out.

Your car will drive much better with lightweight 18s or 19s. I know 18s might not have the look you want, but 19s will look plenty large on a 997, unless you have some crazy bodykit on the car.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Last edited by halo777; 03-16-2015 at 05:25 AM.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:47 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

If you want something with more bling, PUR wheels are also very nice...

I happen to know the distributor for PUR, so if you are interested in talking to them let me know and Ill have them contact you.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:35 PM
crazy_nut
8th Gear

Man you know so much of this stuff. I really appreciate your effort to help me. my current tires are front 245/30 ZR 20(90Y) & REAR tire is 325/25 ZR20(101Y) can I use the same tire?
Old 03-18-2015, 01:36 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

If those tires are working fine for you now, then you should be good to use them on the new wheels.

Here is another guy that is using the same setup and says they work fine

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ml#post3737320

When you are working with the wheel manufacturers, just make sure you tell them what tires you want to use with the wheels, so that they make sure the wheels have the right offset and width to fit properly on the car when using those tires.

From what I can tell, the load index of the tires is OK for the 997 Turbo, but it would be a good idea to doublecheck that they meet minimum load index before planning your wheel purchase around them.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:34 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

One more option for you...

These wheels look pretty cool in the larger sizes that you seem to want to run

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/g...ll-update.html

I still like the Finspeeds myself
Old 03-18-2015, 12:22 PM
dfin23
Intermediate

A few shots of the Finspeed Spyder and a wheel build thread:

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...ld-thread.html

Old 03-18-2015, 12:25 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

go Finspeed
Old 03-19-2015, 10:47 PM
SupremePower1
3rd Gear

Finspeed..first time hearing about them. Those wheels look phenomenal.

OP if you're looking for a "directional" wheel similar to the Forgiato..that perhaps is a bit more subdued maybe check out something from Klassen Wheels. Not on a Porsche but you get the idea.

Quick Reply: Forgiato 20" 997 wheels