BBS E88 Assembly - DIY Instructions - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
Wheel and Tire Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBS E88 Assembly - DIY Instructions

Reply

Old 09-27-2013, 06:49 PM
  #31  
zweebach
User
Thread Starter
 
zweebach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: dfw
Posts: 323
Default

If you have the new style sealing rings as shown in the pictures where the rubber gasket stretches around the outside of the metal, then you can buy just the rubber portion when re-assembling the wheels. There is an older style sealing ring in where the rubber is glued to each face of the metal ring, on these the rubber is not replaceable.


Originally Posted by V View Post
Ordered it now. Does anyone know if you can actually buy just the rubber O-ring from BBS without having to buy the entire metal ring every time..?
zweebach is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:08 AM
  #32  
V
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,744
Default

Originally Posted by zweebach View Post
If you have the new style sealing rings as shown in the pictures where the rubber gasket stretches around the outside of the metal, then you can buy just the rubber portion when re-assembling the wheels. There is an older style sealing ring in where the rubber is glued to each face of the metal ring, on these the rubber is not replaceable.
Thanks man, got it.

Mine looks just like in the picture. It's the rings from the later style e88 wheels and from 997 cup wheels. Are these the same ring you are using in these pics? When I disassembled my wheels for rebuild the O-ring fell off the metal portion so I guess it's not glued. Will order just the rubber rings next time.

Cheers V
V is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:50 PM
  #33  
SDGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
SDGT3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 387
Default

Great post! Very beneficial but looks a bit cumbersome. Nice weekend project.
SDGT3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:56 PM
  #34  
chsu74
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
chsu74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 7,089
Default

here is mine. rebuilt and powder coated from black to Porsche silver...
Attached Images  
chsu74 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:54 PM
  #35  
nochain19
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 79
Default

Originally Posted by chsu74 View Post
here is mine. rebuilt and powder coated from black to Porsche silver...
drool
nochain19 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:18 PM
  #36  
GelbGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
GelbGT3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 54
Default

BBS discourages powder coating of its wheel centers because, as I recall, of the heat that is applied in the powder coating process. When I wanted to change the color of the centers of one of my wheel sets, I sent the centers to BBS USA for painting. Their painter is an expert at masking the center ring and the seats for the wheel bolts or nuts. Finish was a good as the German original. Price was comparable or better than local wheel painters with less expertise.
GelbGT3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:21 PM
  #37  
Vten
User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 13
Default

Will rebuild my e28 set very soon ! Thanks for the very informative info !
Vten is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:39 PM
  #38  
nwGTS
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
nwGTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,615
Default

Bringing back an old, great thread since I've been referencing it while rebuilding my own E88s. Spoke with Bob and BBS. Neither recommend sealant on the seam nor powder coating. PC will hide cracks in the face.

If the wheel leaks at the seam with a new gasket either one or both of the halves isn't true or the face has a crack. Using a sealant defeats this built in safety check and hides a problem that could result in catastrophic failure if not kept in check.

Safety first!
nwGTS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:45 AM
  #39  
tedean
User
 
tedean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 308
Default

Originally Posted by nwGTS View Post
..... Neither recommend sealant on the seam nor powder coating. PC will hide cracks in the face.

If the wheel leaks at the seam with a new gasket either one or both of the halves isn't true or the face has a crack. Using a sealant defeats this built in safety check and hides a problem that could result in catastrophic failure if not kept in check.

Safety first!
Good to know, always learning
tedean is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:31 PM
  #40  
nwGTS
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
nwGTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,615
Default

Just finished mine. Again, great DIY thread. Thank you. These E88s don't get to leave the office corner until their shoes arrive.

nwGTS is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BBS E88 Assembly - DIY Instructions


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: