Wheel and Tire Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R888 for both street and track use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 09:48 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,860 Likes on 2,218 Posts
Default R888 for both street and track use?

I've put R888s on my 997 and am planning to use them on both street and track. Anyone else using R888s or other R-comps on both street and track? Am I correct that street use won't get them hot enough to heat cycle them?
Old 02-26-2013, 11:38 AM
V
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My understanding is that if you drive to and from the track on the highway in a straight line, the tire will not be hot enough for it to count as a heat cycle. So in short, just driving straight will not get it up to operating temp and is thus OK, especially if you have a track geometry setting with lots of camber because then if you dont turn the car, the contact patch will be small when driving on the highway = less heat. I hope this makes sense. You should be fine but it depends on how spirited your street use is . As a side note, try the Nitto NT01 instead of the r888, they get much better reviews on this board.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:16 PM
Tito_gsx
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't recommend 888's for dual duty because they are very loud (especially on hw) and tires will get heat cycled much sooner. V is right that street driving doesn't get to operating temperature but the amount of micro cycles will eventually compromise performance. I use my 888's for autox (including driving to/from event). I am quite happy with there performance
Old 02-26-2013, 05:33 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

In order for us to consider a tire heat cycled we have to get them to 160 degrees or more on our equipment here. Even on very hot roads in the summer there isn't much chance of getting that kind of temperature in them from just hot asphalt, and certainly not if the ambient temperature is not that high. I think it is fair to assume that a lot of highway driving would certainly contribute to the tire getting harder over time if left on with exposure to ultraviolet light and all. Remember, any heat buildup/cooldown at all - even minimally, will contribute to a tire getting harder over time. But is standard driving considered a heat cycle by race standards? I would say no.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:39 AM
V
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input Damon.

An off topic question;

Do you know if there are any new sizes being introduced for MPSS and nitto NT01 in 18"?

Quick Reply: R888 for both street and track use?