Notices
Wheel and Tire Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9 year old Michelin Pilots - use or toss?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 05:59 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 9 year old Michelin Pilots - use or toss?

So I just scored some ultra-rare GT3 OEM Porsche wheels with the offsets for my 996 TT. They have virtually unused Michelin Pilot tires and were stored in an office since 2003. Tires are stamped 4703 - produced the 47th week of 2003. They have no visual cracking or damage on the outside but should I take the risk to run them? I know the rule of thumb is 5 years and done but I assume that is because of exposure to UV rays and hot and cold temps. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:04 PM
djantlive
Drifting

since they are already mounted, i would try running with them to see how they are. they aren't going to fail on you if there are no stress marks but traction may be reduced. michelins tend to be softer compound so you may notice a difference in ride from a new set.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:15 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Okay, I got the official word from Michelin Customer Service saying it is okay to use their tires for up to 10 years of date of manufacture. I know if they are saying 10 years they are probably good for 15 years but that may be pushing it; not that I could get more than 12 months out of a set of Michelin Pilots....

Thank you for the advice.

Quick Reply: 9 year old Michelin Pilots - use or toss?