Sponsored by:

911 Track Rubber

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 04:20 PM
rbauhart
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 Track Rubber

I track an RS America heavily and just wanted some opinions from some guys on here about track rubber.

Have run Hoosier R6's on the track lots and like them. Have also tried A6's, and was surprised, thinking they would get pretty greasy quickly, but they held up well. I have recently been running BFG R1's and have liked them a lot. Better than the Hoosiers. Anyone else have any experience with BFG R1's?

Furthermore, I see that BFG is now offering an R1S. Anyone tried these yet? If so, how are they?

And I am interested in trying Hoosier racing slicks. I run 17" wheels and they make a 235/265 setup in 17". Any advice on the R80 vs R100 compounds and how they compare to each other, and to the Hoosiers and BFGs in grip level and durability?

My car is about 2800lbs.

Thanks to all who take the time to read and reply.

Roland
Old 05-30-2012, 07:09 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Roland,

I can't help you with the tire question, since I don't have experience with either the Hoosiers or BFG's. You might get more responses is the high-traffic DE and Racing forum, if posted there.

So, when is your next track day? Are you going to make it to The Ridge this year?
Old 05-30-2012, 09:41 PM
rbauhart
Advanced

Hey Erik. No worries. Thanks for the advice about posting elsewhere.

Have done one day a the Ridge already. Great track. Some very fun sections and nice elevation change. Not quite at ORP level of technical difficulty or sheer driver enjoyment, but good track none-the-less. ORP is still No.1 in my books. If you haven't checked it out, I would highly recommend it.

Roland
Old 05-30-2012, 11:30 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Roland, that's great to hear! Haven't made it to either the Ridge or ORP. I guess that I'll have to make a point of getting to ORP this year. Let me know if you'll be attending any other events coming up - it would be fun to see another RSA out there.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:22 AM
MB_Fahrer
Instructor

I am running R1's on my 996 race car, my E36 M3 GTR, will be running them on my F360 GTC, and three other BMW race cars, and my other 996.

The R1s get about 18 heat cycles and slow only about 1-1.5 seconds. I have also run the R1-S's with great success. The R1-S's are about 1.5 seconds faster than the R1's. The R1-S's do start to slow after 4 laps, but if you're doing 20 minute sessions at a time you shouldn't notice much loss. The R1's are great for doing 20+ minute sessions.

I have never cared for Hoosiers due to their poor "drivability" IMO. The Hoosiers peak and fall too fast for my usage.

I used to run Nitto NT01s, Advan A048s, and Pirelli slicks. As much as I love the BFG R1/R1-S's, I am planning on trying some Michelin race slicks later this season.

To summarize, BFG R1's are spectacular, BFG R1-S's are even better. There is no other tire that can compare IMO.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:20 PM
rbauhart
Advanced

Erik. Send me an email. I run a group that puts on lapping events at ORP. We'll also do some events at the Ridge in the future.

ballstothewall@porschetrain.com

We have two RSA's that come out regularly, and a 3rd on occasion. Would be great to get you out.

Roland

Quick Reply: 911 Track Rubber