Sponsored by:

Uneven tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 02:08 AM
Mike F
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Uneven tire wear

I had been experiencing a shimmy in the steering wheel lately when I would be driving 65mph+. Checked the tire pressure and all was ok. Had the wheels removed and checked on a balancing machine and they were pretty well balanced. I did notice, however, that the insides of both front tires was worn considerably more than the outsides. I am running Bridgestone SO3's (which I feel are really great tires) and had not run any DE or autox's on them. They have about 12,00 miles on them. The car was set up-corner balanced and wheel alignment- by a very reputable shop that specializes in track setups. Is this type of wear normal for a 930 or is my alignment out of whack? The car runs dead straight if I let go of the wheel. The struts, ball joints, tie rods, etc. are in good shape. I was also thinking it was the alignment specs but wasn't sure. I'll be calling the wrench today and see what he says. Is it possible to shave just the outer aspects of the tire to even them out, or is new rubber in my future? The rears don't look too bad so I guess I could get away with just buying fronts.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:29 AM
gleamingred944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you see matching asymetrical wear on tires, find a full-alignment shop - one that adjusts camber etc. rather than the usual just null toein. For track use, some people insist you can get better handling running on tire edges, but you're much better off flat when you're dealing with ordinary roads.

Quick Reply: Uneven tire wear