Notices
Wheel and Tire Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing front wheel studs - difficult or easy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 01:45 PM
ganfam
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Removing front wheel studs - difficult or easy?

I need to replace the front wheel studs for longer ones to accommodate spacers. How difficult is it to remove the factory studs? Is it something that I can do at home or does it require a mechanic with special tools?
Will the wheel bearings need to be replaced in the process?
Thanks
Old 09-27-2002, 07:25 PM
Remember-September 11
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I would sure like to know that answer as well!
Old 09-27-2002, 10:11 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
While not having swapped the studs on my '87 930, I have replaced the rotors, bearings and seals. The only parts not replaced are the studs. If you can replace your rotors, you can replace your studs at home.

Once the rotor and hub is removed off the spindle, remove the five bolts and then the rotor. This will give you the room to push out the studs.

At this point you can take them to a machine shop to have them pressed out and new ones pressed in, or you can do it yourself. Support the hub in a good heavy vice with the back of the stud supported closely on either side with the vice jaws. Take a hammer and knock them out hitting the threaded end. It might take a blow or two with a good heavy hammer.

The second way is to place the hub in the vice with the threaded end of the stud resting on one vice jaw and then place over the other side of the hub/stud a piece of pipe or a deep socket large enough to just clear the stud head and allow the stud to be pushed into the socket as you tighten the vice. It's the poor mans machine press, but it works.

Depending on how long it has been since you replaced your rotors, seals and bearings, it would be the ideal time to do all this. It's all apart anyway, so you might as well replace them.

This is the condensed version, as I've left out all the jack up the car, remove the wheel, jack stands, etc...Hope it helps.

Jim
Old 09-28-2002, 05:15 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi ganfam, I've got the exact mod you're doing listed on my <a href="http://members.rennlist.com" target="_blank">951 RacerX website</a>. Has step-by-step procedure with part# listed too. It's under the '944 Wheels FAQ' section. After you remove the hub, you'll just need some deep-reach sockets to brace on the backside as you pound out the studs from the front (into the sockets). Takes only about 10-15lbs of force with a hammer. The rear studs going into a steel axle-stub fits a lot tigher.

Quick Reply: Removing front wheel studs - difficult or easy?