Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 11:18 AM
Matt
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Reversing Kumhos on wheels?

Anyone have any experience with flipping Kumho Victoracer V700's on the wheels to even out the wear? (or to squeeze another day or two out of them at the end of the season...)

After a certain point the "tread" configuration becomes pretty much symmetrical - is the internal construction symmetrical, or is there really an "outside" and "inside"?

Thanks -

Matt
Old 10-07-2002, 02:38 PM
PT
Racer

yup - have dismount & swap left/right on mine before. In fact, I believe Kuhmos now says that there is no difference to the L/R markings on the tires. Especially after wearing them down a bit.
Old 10-07-2002, 04:30 PM
Matt
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, you mean actually dismounting the tires from the wheels and reversing them? That's what I'm liiking to do.

Kumho has said for a while to disregard the left/right direction of rotation indicators, but I haven't heard that they've said the same about the "mount with this side facing outward" markings.
Old 10-07-2002, 06:00 PM
PeanutinCA
Pro

Matt,
I was "told" that the "this side out" markings or the markings in general were not completely correct? But the cost of changing the molds could not be justified? But, I had one tire which we mounted as directed, but it was like I had been sent to front rights i.e. block pattern was the same on both when mounted in the "this direction". I later (after use) had the tire dismounted for a puncture repair and remounted to effectively be opposite the frnot right and felt no issues or effect with doing so? I've also heard you can just swap left and right wheels without dismounting/mounting the tire?

Cheers,
Dylan.
Old 10-07-2002, 08:11 PM
Matt
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

[quote]Originally posted by Matt:
<strong>Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, you mean actually dismounting the tires from the wheels and reversing them? That's what I'm looking to do.

Kumho has said for a while to disregard the left/right direction of rotation indicators, but I haven't heard that they've said the same about the "mount with this side facing outward" markings.</strong><hr></blockquote>
Old 10-08-2002, 03:49 PM
PT
Racer

Sorry Matt... re-reading my own post - must be on drugs yesterday...

There's no difference between left/right on the V700 even though the tire says Left/Right. But because of the asymmetric pattern (bigger blocks on the outside) you can't mount the outside on the inside.

I'm using Toyo RA1 this year & you can do that with the Toyo cos they are directional (initially).
Old 10-08-2002, 04:54 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
There are Two KUMHO

1) Old V700 Victoracer

This tire is asymetrical, but No longer direcrtional. There is an out side when new, but not forward and be desipite any markings. I run these and since I have 4 same size tires do 4 corner rotations. When worn down there is not difference in tread between inside and outside shoulder. I have never dismounted and remounted these as I get pretty even wear with my set-up

2) New Ecsta V700

These are Directional, but symetrical. They do not have an inside or out side shoulder, but do have forward rotation direction. I have never used these. I GUESS that you can run them "backwards" and it would be fine partially worn in the dry. KUMHO does state that these can be remounted inside out for for greater tire life and have symetrical carcass.
Old 10-08-2002, 05:55 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I thought that radial high-perf tires shouldn't be run against the direction indicated, meaning you should dismount and flip, vs the regular rotation.

Jason
Old 10-10-2002, 02:06 AM
Ted Drake
Advanced

Here is a very helpful page on the new and old Kumho V700 tires.

<a href="http://www.porscheclub.com/pdf/WriteUpRev.PDF" target="_blank">http://www.porscheclub.com/pdf/WriteUpRev.PDF</a>
Old 10-10-2002, 12:04 PM
Arthur
Pro

What about flipping a worn down set of Hoosiers? The 2 inner treads are still present, but the directional etchings when the tires were new are gone. After 2 DE events, the tires are worn down pretty good on the outside tread, but not to the threads yet.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:50 PM
Matt
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Thanks to everyone who's joined in. In the link that Ted provided a Kumho tech rep is quoted as saying that the V700 Victoracer can be run in either direction, which I know is commonly done. He also says that the tire can be flipped on the wheel so that the inner tread becomes the outer, allowing evening of the treadwear across the tire (as could be done with the G-Force R-1), which is the info I was looking for -

Quick Reply: Reversing Kumhos on wheels?