Sponsored by:

pics of polished rims vs chromed rims

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2001, 01:32 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post pics of polished rims vs chromed rims

Does any body have these two side by side? I currently have chromed rims, but am considering getting polished rims instead.. I'm concerned about the reduction of strength of the chroming process..

Tia..

Jeff
Old 10-27-2001, 05:51 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not to mention the extra 2-3 lbs from the chrome-plating.
Old 10-27-2001, 10:52 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeff,

Interestingly enough, someone just e-mailed me some links to Wheel Enhancement- (Coincidence-?) they were directly to pages of Porsche rims- the pages had many of the factory rims, and, some Kinesis, BBS, Ruf, Fikse, etc, but mostly Porsche... Check it out- I believe their address is: www.wheelenhancement.com
and you can get to the picture pages from there. I'm not sure about all of them, but for many of the Porsche rims, you can click on the thumbnails, and it will show you a larger picture (in color- the thumbnails are in B&W), and, there is usually a link underneath to click on for a picture of the rim in chrome. Actually, some of them had 3 finishes, I beleive, like the Flat Dish- it had regular, anodized, and chromed... Take a look at the site- it's pretty cool. If you have trouble getting to it, e-mail me driectly, and I'll forward the message w/the links to you...
Old 10-30-2001, 01:55 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just saw some wheels on a new boxter that were factory painted in "chromium", which looked very close to chrome from 5 ft away. When you got close, you could tell that they were not as brilliant as full chroming..

This is another possibility. I like the idea of just polishing the wheels and then covering them with a clear powder coat.

Jeff
Old 10-31-2001, 12:36 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I talked with Wheel Enhancement about polishing 993TT wheels and they didn't recommend it due to the poor casting, apprently it leaves a rough surface that shows through after polishing.
Anyone else heard about this?
Greg
Old 10-31-2001, 05:20 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the idea of just polishing the wheels and then covering them with a clear powder coat.
That would be difficult to do because bare polished aluminum makes paint bead up (like water). So getting an even layer is tough. It's even tougher to keep it from turning yellow with age. If you really want to clearcoat the bare aluminum, use the following procedure with a conversion coating:
    Old 11-03-2001, 10:47 PM
    Martin S.
    Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
    Al Reed from Al Reed Polishing in Anaheim, CA has polished and clear coat powder coated wheels for me. This is his forte. If you are interested, drom me a note at schacht993@starband.net and I'll get you Al's number. He is the man to go to in SoCal and has been polishing wheels and anything else for 15 years or more. He has a big following. If you find him on your own, ask Al for the Feather Merchants discount. It will help.

Also, Wheel Enhancement is under new management, Robert Wodd is no longer there. The new guy (Mr. Brown?) is incredible to work with, a really helpful guy. He talked me out of one of my wheel fantasies the other day, too impractical...he was right.

Quick Reply: pics of polished rims vs chromed rims